Stumped :(

Kooldino

MOTM Winner Jan '09
Authorized Vendor
Contributor
:
MP3
Did an engine swap into a car over the weekend.

We have power on the accessories and everything, however, when we go to crank the car, it won't crank. The fuel return line is disconnected, and no fuel is spewing out of it either.

I checked the fuses countless times. The Engine fuse is fine as well.

The starter is wired up, as is the alternator.

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be? I checked everything, but I think I'm about to lose my mind here.

Kooldino said:

We have power on the accessories and everything, however, when we go to crank the car, it won't crank. The fuel return line is disconnected, and no fuel is spewing out of it either.

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be? I checked everything, but I think I'm about to lose my mind here.

What's it doing when you tell it to crank? Does it whine and just not turn over, or is there just absolutely nothing going on?

Kooldino said:

I don't know man...can you get the fuel pump to start to cycle....meaning can you hear it trying to do anything?

when I switched my engine I never tried doing what you are talking about...but I know some fuel pumps are designed to not operate unless some internal sensor notices that it can pressurize a line...if you have it open like that, it may be tripping it...and not allowing it to pump fuel...its a safety mechanism so if, say during an accident, the line is pulled from the engine but the ignition is still on...it won't squirt fire all over your livelyhood...

as far as the cranking issue...I have no idea...I guess just recheck everything...sorry I never have been very good with diagnostics...

gone_fishin said:
What's it doing when you tell it to crank? Does it whine and just not turn over, or is there just absolutely nothing going on?

There's zero difference between KEY ON and attempting to crank it. It just doesn't do jack.

Installshield 2 said:
I don't know man...can you get the fuel pump to start to cycle....meaning can you hear it trying to do anything?

No

when I switched my engine I never tried doing what you are talking about...but I know some fuel pumps are designed to not operate unless some internal sensor notices that it can pressurize a line...if you have it open like that, it may be tripping it...and not allowing it to pump fuel...its a safety mechanism so if, say during an accident, the line is pulled from the engine but the ignition is still on...it won't squirt fire all over your livelyhood...

I guess that's worth a shot.

as far as the cranking issue...I have no idea...I guess just recheck everything...sorry I never have been very good with diagnostics...

Yeah, diag is the ballbuster job.

Well, I found the problem...when Craig pulled the starter off of his old motor, he disconnected the small wire that went from one of the poles on the starter to the starter itself. Popped it back on and bingo, fired right up.

What a bastard of a time that was.

Kooldino said:
Well, I found the problem...when Craig pulled the starter off of his old motor, he disconnected the small wire that went from one of the poles on the starter to the starter itself. Popped it back on and bingo, fired right up.

What a bastard of a time that was.

yea, that god forsaken wire. at least she runs like a champ!
craig

Back