Premature ...... rear brake wear

jeffhawn

:
2006 Mazda 3 GS
So - after 50,000 km the rear pads on my 06' 3 GS are toast...

First off - this should NEVER HAPPEN.

Secondly - does anyone know if and how to change the brake bias more so to the front?

I don't have ABS.

wow wierd... most of us deal with the rear brake dust issue but i have never heard of pads having premature wear... are your rotors ok? they could possibly be warped or damaged causing the extreme wear... i have almost 40,000 miles on my car and last i looked the rear pads wear fine lots of meat left... do you have the option to take it to the dealer cuase i would even if its not fully covered i would think they would look into it for you...

just noticed its your first post....

welcome to the forums

I have spoken with the dealership. The service manager gave me some ~ bs ~ line about the stock rear pads being a much softer compound to reduce brakes squeal. He added that they have seen cars see as little as 30,000 km needing new pads.

I think it's unacceptable - but you won't get anywhere arguing.

In addition to wanting to mod the brake bias - i am looking to put cross-drilled or slotted rotors on all 4 corners: any suggestions for quality rotors? [i need to be able to get the shipped tp the great white north aka: canada]

Thanks for the welcome!

You'll be seeing lots of me on this site - i'll be posting pics as soon as the suspension is dropped and the snows are off.

cheers

ps....

the rotors are fine - thus they don't appear to be the culprit - the front rotors have a noticable wobble to them yet the front pads are at 75%...

weird indeed

Last edited:
mmm strange stuff indeed... ebc makes some nice rotors i have a set of fronts i bought off of some one on the forums that look great (now i just need a set of rears)

Here's how I see it.
Look @ your owner's manual. See what the recommended mileage to change them is. If it is somewhat close then it's just wear-n-tear.
If not then pressure them into replacing them under warranty. Do so in a professional, intelligent manner. Don't just go demanding stuff right and left.

Took the 3 in to the dealership the other day, and they tell me my rear brakes are down to less than 20% and I need a rear brake job.. I have 52,000 miles and the fronts are still fine.. I haven't quoted a brake job from them, but I bet it isn't cheap..(crazy)

jeffhawn said:
So - after 50,000 km the rear pads on my 06' 3 GS are toast...

First off - this should NEVER HAPPEN.

Secondly - does anyone know if and how to change the brake bias more so to the front?

I don't have ABS.

Just curious... has the Emergancy Brake been left on while driving at any time>? How many clicks did the e-brake stop at>? It does not sound normal for rear pads at 50k kilometers.

Keep Zooming

Talk to ken at protegegarage about a brake package, he just made me a great deal on rotors, pads, and the lines.

e-brake

HAHAHAH - just noticed that question..

I was wondering what that annoying red light in the cluster was!!

JKS.

NEVER driven with the e-brake on.

It looks like the stock pads were just s***.

The OEM replacement are at 70% life after a little more than the 50,000km the originals blew up at.

jeffhawn ... do you have a speed3 or 3?

one of my friends has a 5 door 3 and his rear also wears a lot quicker than the fronts. Its funny because his car has tons of brake dust on his rear wheels.

jeffhawn ... do you have a speed3 or 3?

one of my friends has a 5 door 3 and his rear also wears a lot quicker than the fronts. Its funny because his car has tons of brake dust on his rear wheels.

I have a 3 GS.

The rear brake dust is infuriating!!

Back