Rear Calipers/Parking Brake Seizing?

CrazyCaker

:
'10 Stang GT / '06 Mazda5 GT
I've noticed over the past week that when I leave my 5 parked over night, or any other period of time for a few hours, the rear brakes or parking brake seem to be seizing. When I return to the car and lower the parking brake and begin to leave (either reversing or going forward) I got a loud "pop" which feels and sounds like the calipers are somehow getting seized and releasing once the car starts to move?! Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:
its normal of cars that are in moist conditions.... 1 of 2 things

either its super moist in the air (or they brakes were wet) when you parked, causing the calipers to slightly rust to the rotor

OR

its super cold out, brakes were somehow wet, and theyve frozen...

either way, its fairly normal... just ride the brakes for a few feet after they pop to clear the rotors of any rust or moisture.

I don't understand how this would be considered "normal" when none of my other cars do this, including my other Mazdas.

well I can tell you its pretty much a daily occurance on the vehicles on the lot in my dealership. Any vehicle that has had its parking brake on and not moved that day does the exact same thing.

Also, maybe the pads/rotor material is different/more susceptable to this than your other cars?

Do you use the parking brake with your other cars? My car even does it when I wash it and park it immediately (rather than driving it around).

B1GHAM said:
well I can tell you its pretty much a daily occurance on the vehicles on the lot in my dealership. Any vehicle that has had its parking brake on and not moved that day does the exact same thing.

Also, maybe the pads/rotor material is different/more susceptable to this than your other cars?

Do you use the parking brake with your other cars? My car even does it when I wash it and park it immediately (rather than driving it around).

I always use my parking brake on all my cars. I thought of the pad material after posting my last reply, but my CX-7 still has OEM pads and it does not do this.

it could be the pads. Maybe the compound is different after all the CX-7 is a bigger and heavier car. Just a thought

Im no expert on this, but if it just started this past week and its making a loud pop, that certainly doesnt sound normal to me.

jandree22 said:
Im no expert on this, but if it just started this past week and its making a loud pop, that certainly doesnt sound normal to me.

yes, dont misinterpret me. I dont know 100% that there is nothing wrong with your brakes, however in my experience its normal. If it was a caliper issue (IE seized), you would most likely feel it in the car (Ive had it happen before) to the effect of it feeling like you are "dragging" the rear wheels. Have you replaced the brakes recently (or within the last year) and has the weather changed within the last few weeks (IE below freezing/frost point @ night, etc.)?

mine are doing the same thing. its the caliper starting to lock out. im gonna have mine rebuilt in the next couple of weeks to fix it. my LR rotor has heat marks from the this.

B1GHAM said:
yes, dont misinterpret me. I dont know 100% that there is nothing wrong with your brakes, however in my experience its normal. If it was a caliper issue (IE seized), you would most likely feel it in the car (Ive had it happen before) to the effect of it feeling like you are "dragging" the rear wheels. Have you replaced the brakes recently (or within the last year) and has the weather changed within the last few weeks (IE below freezing/frost point @ night, etc.)?

Yes it has started dropping below freezing @ night. I understand what your saying, but it seems a little more then just slight rust/freezing that's causing the problem. I've only had the 5 for about 3 months now. It just seems weird that this is the only car I've ever had do this. I'm going to get it checked out anyways, along with my accelerator pedal that gets stuck as well (no joke!).

CrazyCaker said:
Yes it has started dropping below freezing @ night. I understand what your saying, but it seems a little more then just slight rust/freezing that's causing the problem. I've only had the 5 for about 3 months now. It just seems weird that this is the only car I've ever had do this. I'm going to get it checked out anyways, along with my accelerator pedal that gets stuck as well (no joke!).

Its something Id have to see/hear/feel in person to really diagnose... yes the symptoms of popping can be a much bigger issue (IE caliper is on the way out) its just VERY uncommon. I dont blame you though, better safe than sorry.

My rear brakes have been doing this as long as I have remembered. They also make a "tick tick tick" sound while I'm driving and my e-brake cable isn't adjusted properly.

I'm just waiting until I have ze dollars for the protegegarage big brake kit :p

Kansei said:
My rear brakes have been doing this as long as I have remembered. They also make a "tick tick tick" sound while I'm driving and my e-brake cable isn't adjusted properly.

I'm just waiting until I have ze dollars for the protegegarage big brake kit :p

yeah, in your case, there is a serious issue w/ said caliper.

Back