Brakes are showing "uneven wear"

Lani

:
Mazda 3S
A few weeks ago, I went to my local Mazda Dealership and had my car inspected and it passed with flying colors :knock on wood:. Given this, I assumed my car was fine. Yesterday, I took it to Sears to have my tires rotated (under warranty) and the mechanic came out saying my front brakes are wearing unevenly and the clips need to be replaced. He quoted me at $295. to complete the job.

What should I do? I know my front brakes are wearing down a bit but they seem fine and most of all safe. What the heck are clips? I can get front pads installed at Meineke (sp?) for $140. How come they want to charge me over $100. more? And what causes uneven wear?

Last edited:
RacerChick said:
A few weeks ago, I went to my local Mazda Dealership and had my car inspected and it passed with flying colors :knock on wood:. Given this, I assumed my car was fine. Yesterday, I took it to Sears to have my tires rotated (under warranty) and the mechanic came out saying my front brakes are wearing unevenly and the clips need to be replaced. He quoted me at $295. to complete the job.

What should I do? I know my front brakes are wearing down a bit but they seem fine and most of all safe. What the heck are clips? I can get front pads installed at Meineke (sp?) for $140. How come they want to charge me over $100. more? And what causes uneven wear?
i dont trust Sears at ALL. I actually don't really trust any mechanic, but especially not Sears...I would take it somewhere else, and ask them to inspect the brakes. if they tell you the same thing, they might have something, but that sounds like a big ol' pile of :bs:to me.

judging by your username, i'm assuming your a female, right? then yeah...they're screwing you.....

mp3wannabe said:
judging by your username, i'm assuming your a female, right? then yeah...they're screwing you.....

which is exactly why I'm going to start learning how to work on my own car..

Back