Newbie seeking Info

95tsiawd

:
2001 Special Edition GTP
Greeting I am looking for info on the mazda speed6, and figured what better place to find the info than to ask the guys, or gals for that matter, that drive them. So I'm looking for specs/performance of a 2006 japanese spec speed6 its supposed to have 370 hp, but I cannot find any info of this. Can you help me out?

95tsiawd said:
Greeting I am looking for info on the mazda speed6, and figured what better place to find the info than to ask the guys, or gals for that matter, that drive them. So I'm looking for specs/performance of a 2006 japanese spec speed6 its supposed to have 370 hp, but I cannot find any info of this. Can you help me out?
What do you mean exactly? The Mazdaspeed 6 in Japan, or rather the mazdaspeed Atenza only puts down 200 kW's, or 272 ps which is about 268 horse....

Where on earth did you here it had 370 horse?

PS - Read this...It's a press release of the pre-orders in Japan for the MSA.

I'll be honest I know nothing about these cars, thats why i'm here. A friend raced one the other night, This kid swears up and down that his friend special ordered it from a dealer, had it shipped from japan, and that it is a japanese spec speed6. Which in his words is different than the american one that has 270 hp. The japanese spec has 370. I could not find any info on this subject at all, and descided to ask you guys. I can post a link to the original thread if you think this will help.

Thats kinda what I'm gathering. It sound like you can order these only from a mazda speed6 dealer. I appreciate the help. In case anyone is curious the main thread for this is on iawbody.com. There is a video of the actual race.

95tsiawd said:
I'll be honest I know nothing about these cars, thats why i'm here. A friend raced one the other night, This kid swears up and down that his friend special ordered it from a dealer, had it shipped from japan, and that it is a japanese spec speed6. Which in his words is different than the american one that has 270 hp. The japanese spec has 370. I could not find any info on this subject at all, and descided to ask you guys. I can post a link to the original thread if you think this will help.

Sounds like you guys were lied to, big time.

A Mazdaspeed 6, or 3 (when it comes out) or MX-5 (when it was released) for that matter can only be bought at Mazdaspeed dealers. They have MS6's in stock at most Mazdaspeed dealers.

Just to give a little more info, a Mazdaspeed dealer is a regular Mazda dealer that paid Mazda a given amount of money to gain the Mazdaspeed status and then they can carry Mazdaspeed parts and sell the cars. You don't have to special order the car at all.

Yeah I would say you were right, the car is fast, no doubt about it if you see the video, but as a former turbocharged vehicle owner. I just had a hard time seeing 370 hp out of a stock 4 cyl turbo. I really do appreciate you guys input.

The 2.3-liter DIS turbo motor as yet to see the limits, AFAIK, but it is a stout piece of work.

The stock turbo in the MS6 is on the verge of efficiency in stock trim, so putting more boost through it seems like a recipe for grenading the little bugger. But, turning up the boost, or at least moving more air more efficiently could net some real results that could push the overall output to somewhere near there, I would guess.

He says the cars putting out 18psi. I do not know if its an aftermarket boost gauge or just a computer guess like most cars.

95tsiawd said:
He says the cars putting out 18psi. I do not know if its an aftermarket boost gauge or just a computer guess like most cars.

It's my understanding that the car was running that stock from factory. Maybe a little more...Hence why it's on the top end of efficiency.

Well we will see if he wants to go to the track and run it this summer that should prove interesting.

i was just reading the thread over on the other forums....pretty funny!

guess it's good that the speed gives perception of having an extra 100hp that people can believe. wonder if the owner is around here or 6club or something?

Last edited:
everything except for the HP # is right at least. with the tuning out now (sort of out i guess would be more like it) it's in that range though.

MrTea said:
everything except for the HP # is right at least. with the tuning out now (sort of out i guess would be more like it) it's in that range though.

It sounds like a pile of crap to me, unless they modifed the car with CAI, and exhaust, ect ect to estimate it at an extra 30hp. I think it's a typo personally. They mixed up the 6 with a 9. Either that or it's a bullcrap gimic, and they typo'
ed intentionally, trying to make it an STI rival, but then can apologize and call it a mistake if someone questions it. The STI is rated at 293hp. What a coincidence. hehe ;)

Last edited:
This kid swears up and down that his friend special ordered it from a dealer, had it shipped from japan, and that it is a japanese spec speed6.

For my car, I only get parts shipped overnight from japan when I want to race.

If I cant get than then I get NOS, two big tanks of it. The only problem is that when I use it, I almost blow the welds on my intake manifold.

isn't mazda claiming that their mazdaspeed addons brings the ms3 to ~300hp? I'm talking about the extra's accessories you can buy from the dealer after you buy the car. So, stocl at 263 to 293 isn't that far off that. Probably just a typo in the add but something to consider.

Anyways, 370hp in a ms6....that is funny.

Back