VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mazdaspeed OEM Wastegate actuator = $$$$$$$$

2007 Subaru Legacy GT 2006 Evo IX

Rouge who coated your mani and DP and how long has it been like that?

2003 MSP #1475

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN
    because it's NOT the same!

its just like brake pads... people think brakes are brakes and just get the $20 autozone SHIT instead of paying $100 for OEM brake pads from the dealer
    right, they are not the same because the stock piece is adjustable.... but if they hold very close to the same boost and serve the same purpose, and both are able to be bolted right in, is there really that much problem with going with the cheaper one?? I guess its personal opinion, but it wasn't a super big deal to me. I guess YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by jmv
    right, they are not the same because the stock piece is adjustable.... but if they hold very close to the same boost and serve the same purpose, and both are able to be bolted right in, is there really that much problem with going with the cheaper one?? I guess its personal opinion, but it wasn't a super big deal to me. I guess YMMV.
    I'd say typically the OEM one would probably be of better quality, but well with how unreliable people's wastegate actuators have been.. ugh

Donated: $30

2003.5 MSP

Yeah, OEM is about 7x the cost of aftermarket... unfortunately, it's not pocket change for me. So, hopefully the ATP isn't crap! Seeing how several folks (knowledgeable ones too) have used it, I feel better taking that risk myself. I should be able to find someone good with cars to help me install it.
    Great, now it looks like it's going to get a bit nippy here in Texas... grrrr.
    Almost stock. Gotta keep this car rolling!

ATP seems like a great all-around vendor, they have a nice selection of parts.

mazdaspeed protege

I see how it could be argued that the OEM piece is better because it's adjustable but if you set it to 6-7psi then your just spending money. I think that's what most people would want their low boost to be anyways so I'd save the money and go for the cheaper one. IF you set it too high or too low you'd have to take the thing off and set it up again, you know where you stand with the ATP.

2003 MSP #1475

Quote Originally Posted by Allen
    Yeah, OEM is about 7x the cost of aftermarket... unfortunately, it's not pocket change for me. So, hopefully the ATP isn't crap! Seeing how several folks (knowledgeable ones too) have used it, I feel better taking that risk myself. I should be able to find someone good with cars to help me install it.
    Great, now it looks like it's going to get a bit nippy here in Texas... grrrr.

hey if you're near austin i could always help.....
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: $20

'03.5 Blazin' MSP (sold) ................. '14 Soul 6 GT

Blog Entries
    My car started hesitating under WOT at 3000-4000 RPM. I took it in today and the dealer is putting in a new WGA!!! (warranty) I thought it was bad gas. I have no engine mods except Firsty's Grounding Kit and a Yellow Top Optima with Custom Alum Battery Cage from E-Bay. I never heard of a WGA until this thread started. Thanks Mazda Forums.

367 (mp3yellow

MazdaSpeed Protege

So, how exactly do you adjust the stock WGA? is there just a screw to up the boost, say, 1 psi?

Quote Originally Posted by Sspring89
    So, how exactly do you adjust the stock WGA? is there just a screw to up the boost, say, 1 psi?
    well not reeeally. All you are adjusting is the length of it. If you tighten it, theoretically it'll take more boost to actuate it fully depending on how the stock actuator is.

Actually wait no.. no matter what your wastegate actuator should be open fully by 5.5-6.5 psi (don't know what stock msp is) so if you tighten it to let it boost a little higher, it'll just take longer to open. yeah just get a manual boost controller. Much easier, more precise, etc.

mazdaspeed protege

That is a much better option, boost controler. It would be too much of a pain in the a to keep taking the actuator off just to get a pound extra or less. I have a MBC and I just set it up higher lower it just takes a few seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by jmv
    the OEM one just doesn't bolt right in... you have to adjust it to the proper length first before installing it, then testing to see if it's building the correct stock boost... which wouldn't be the same on all setups on a given same length due to manufacturing variations on all sorts of parts... the OEM shit is NOT pre-adjusted to the correct length from the factory!
    TheMAN
    '01 BJFP MT
    '05 BK3P HB AT
    '16 BMYFS AT

For Protege and Mazda3 info, come see the Protege FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Kansei
    I'd say typically the OEM one would probably be of better quality, but well with how unreliable people's wastegate actuators have been.. ugh

the fact that the original ones have been breaking on some people's cars is why mazda came out with an updated part, which shouldn't have problems like the original ones did
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2003 MSP #1475

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN
    the OEM one just doesn't bolt right in... you have to adjust it to the proper length first before installing it, then testing to see if it's building the correct stock boost... which wouldn't be the same on all setups on a given same length due to manufacturing variations on all sorts of parts... the OEM shit is NOT pre-adjusted to the correct length from the factory!
    thats true. Didn't really think about that. Well, from what i had read about the ATP some people said they saw about 2 psi increase, which i thought might be a little on the high side but still okay. Turns out when i got it it really only put me up 1 psi from when i was bone stock, which to me is just fine. The car feels like maybe it takes just a little more gas to build boost, but that could just be mind tricks from going from the leaking diagprham to a good one.

BTW Edwin, i'm not just trying to straight up disagree with you or anything, just pointing out how this seemed to be the best option for me given the cost.

RadonElement.Com

i thought i wrote a how to on replacing the atp wastegate...hmm....

MODS?!?!

oh wait, is on my sig

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast