Mazdaspeed OEM Wastegate actuator = $$$$$$$$

Allen

世界杯
Contributor
:
2019 Acura RDX A-Spec AWD
So I just found out that my Mazdaspeed's wastegate diaphragm is toast and needs to be replaced. Also, the Mazda OEM wastegate actuator cost an arm and a leg to replace (~$500). I've been told that aftermarket wastegate [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]actuators are quite a bit cheaper. [/SIZE][/FONT]Therefore, could someone point me to the right recommended aftermarket replacement?

I don't know much about the wastegate actuators so I'm trying to research it a bit more. I'm a bit confused about the huge price gap between the aftermarkets brands. For example is this the wastegate actuator or just the diaphragm?
Code: ATP-WGT-011B
Price:$59.00

Should I go ahead and replace the actuator or just the diaphragm that's shredded? Is the wastegate diaphragm different for each manufacturer?

Mechanics at the shop said it was a lengthy job to complete. So, I guess this wouldn't be something I could do on my own. The shop labor fee for this install isn't cheap either. It's not so much a problem that I don't boost all the time, but it's a pain when I can't boost at all.

Thanks!

That part you've looked up is for the whole wastegate actuator. I have it on my car, and a friend of mine put it on his. As far as having a shop do it... it really depends on how mechanically inclined you are, and if you have some tools. PM Velocifero (Scott), he's done it on his car in his driveway. He can tell you what you need to know.

Rogue said:
That part you've looked up is for the whole wastegate actuator. I have it on my car, and a friend of mine put it on his. As far as having a shop do it... it really depends on how mechanically inclined you are, and if you have some tools. PM Velocifero (Scott), he's done it on his car in his driveway. He can tell you what you need to know.

Thanks Rogue, I'm definitely not afraid of spending $60-$80 (prices seems to vary from different forum posts) if that takes care of everything to replace the stock part. When the mechanic told me that Mazda told him the replacement part was well over $450... I was shocked. He asked them how many they replaced and Mazda said none because everyone was buying aftermarket (no duh! $400-$500 for a part vs <$100 aftermarket? Just seems too ridiculous). If I read right, it looks like there is no need for any modification for the ATP replacement.

This would be correct the part to order as a replacement?
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-WGT-011B&Category_Code=WGT

I've PM'ed Velocifer (Scott) asking him for some help in this and waiting for him to respond back later. I did some more digging and Alejo_NIN makes it sound like not-to-bad-of-a-job. LOL

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123633646&highlight=Wastegate+Diaphragm

This wastegate acutator doesn't look too scary... how big is the actual size? I guess getting to it is a pain in the butt?
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=93630

Damn, wish someone had written a HOW-TO on the forum. (glare)

It's positioned between the engine block and the turbo, so I'm assuming it isn't too accessible especially with intake piping and all that in the way.

yeah, that's the right part. To get to it, you'll have to take off your hot pipe and some other parts....shouldn't be too hard.

some pictures:
IMG_5333.jpg

IMG_5350.jpg

IMG_5340.jpg

IMG_5338.jpg

IMG_5339.jpg

Please note this is not the stock turbo. It is a GT28R, but it gives you an idea of where the WGA is mounted.

Last edited:
TheMAN said:
the OEM s*** *is* adjustable, that's where the price difference comes from

I'm just running stock turbo, do I need to worry about that?

Thanks,
Allen

i would also contact jdm sam ("jdm sam x" on aim). hes pretty knowledgeable on this and can get you a good deal on a replacement for sure.

I can't see why the dealer doesn't just sell the ATP piece instead of trying to sell the part that is more than 5x the cost. Come on now wouldn't most people buy the part if it cost $150 instead. I had that problem with mine and after I replaced it once and it happened again I was done with that.

I've got the ATP replacement, yes its the one you put a link to, yes it works fine although it is not adjustable like the stocker. Installation for me wasn't too bad with the help of another person, although it took a long time if you consider it was just 2 bolts and a clip. I used a really long screwdriver or two to assist with the clip, and a ratchet with a flex joint to get at the bolts (its not easy to make everything fit and have room to turn the ratchet, but its possible.) I went at the top bolt from the top of course, and then for the bottom bolt one person was under the car with the ratchet, and the other person was up top holding onto the actual socket making sure it didn't slip off the bolt. Trying to get the socket on the bottom bolt was probably the hardest part, the rest was just time consuming.

Thank you guys for the info. (first) I'm sure I'll be back with more questions before I actually get it replaced. (ughdance)

orng1 said:
I can't see why the dealer doesn't just sell the ATP piece instead of trying to sell the part that is more than 5x the cost. Come on now wouldn't most people buy the part if it cost $150 instead. I had that problem with mine and after I replaced it once and it happened again I was done with that.

because it's NOT the same!

its just like brake pads... people think brakes are brakes and just get the $20 autozone s*** instead of paying $100 for OEM brake pads from the dealer

TheMAN said:
because it's NOT the same!

its just like brake pads... people think brakes are brakes and just get the $20 autozone s*** instead of paying $100 for OEM brake pads from the dealer

right, they are not the same because the stock piece is adjustable.... but if they hold very close to the same boost and serve the same purpose, and both are able to be bolted right in, is there really that much problem with going with the cheaper one?? I guess its personal opinion, but it wasn't a super big deal to me. I guess YMMV.

jmv said:
right, they are not the same because the stock piece is adjustable.... but if they hold very close to the same boost and serve the same purpose, and both are able to be bolted right in, is there really that much problem with going with the cheaper one?? I guess its personal opinion, but it wasn't a super big deal to me. I guess YMMV.

I'd say typically the OEM one would probably be of better quality, but well with how unreliable people's wastegate actuators have been.. ugh

Yeah, OEM is about 7x the cost of aftermarket... unfortunately, it's not pocket change for me. So, hopefully the ATP isn't crap! Seeing how several folks (knowledgeable ones too) have used it, I feel better taking that risk myself. I should be able to find someone good with cars to help me install it.
Great, now it looks like it's going to get a bit nippy here in Texas... grrrr.

Latest posts

Back