Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mazdaspeed OEM Wastegate actuator = $$$$$$$$

Donated: $30

2003.5 MSP

Mazdaspeed OEM Wastegate actuator = $$$$$$$$

So I just found out that my Mazdaspeed's wastegate diaphragm is toast and needs to be replaced. Also, the Mazda OEM wastegate actuator cost an arm and a leg to replace (~$500). I've been told that aftermarket wastegate actuators are quite a bit cheaper. Therefore, could someone point me to the right recommended aftermarket replacement?

I don't know much about the wastegate actuators so I'm trying to research it a bit more. I'm a bit confused about the huge price gap between the aftermarkets brands. For example is this the wastegate actuator or just the diaphragm?
    Code: ATP-WGT-011B
    Price:$59.00

Should I go ahead and replace the actuator or just the diaphragm that's shredded? Is the wastegate diaphragm different for each manufacturer?

Mechanics at the shop said it was a lengthy job to complete. So, I guess this wouldn't be something I could do on my own. The shop labor fee for this install isn't cheap either. It's not so much a problem that I don't boost all the time, but it's a pain when I can't boost at all.

Thanks!
    Almost stock. Gotta keep this car rolling!

Donated: $15

2003 Mazdaspeed Protegé

That part you've looked up is for the whole wastegate actuator. I have it on my car, and a friend of mine put it on his. As far as having a shop do it... it really depends on how mechanically inclined you are, and if you have some tools. PM Velocifero (Scott), he's done it on his car in his driveway. He can tell you what you need to know.

2003 Mazdaspeed Protegé
    2013 Mazda3
    2002 Mazda Protegé5

2003.5 MSP

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue
    That part you've looked up is for the whole wastegate actuator. I have it on my car, and a friend of mine put it on his. As far as having a shop do it... it really depends on how mechanically inclined you are, and if you have some tools. PM Velocifero (Scott), he's done it on his car in his driveway. He can tell you what you need to know.
    Thanks Rogue, I'm definitely not afraid of spending $60-$80 (prices seems to vary from different forum posts) if that takes care of everything to replace the stock part. When the mechanic told me that Mazda told him the replacement part was well over $450... I was shocked. He asked them how many they replaced and Mazda said none because everyone was buying aftermarket (no duh! $400-$500 for a part vs <$100 aftermarket? Just seems too ridiculous). If I read right, it looks like there is no need for any modification for the ATP replacement.

This would be correct the part to order as a replacement?
    http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=WGT

I've PM'ed Velocifer (Scott) asking him for some help in this and waiting for him to respond back later. I did some more digging and Alejo_NIN makes it sound like not-to-bad-of-a-job. LOL

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...gate+Diaphragm

This wastegate acutator doesn't look too scary... how big is the actual size? I guess getting to it is a pain in the butt?
    http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attac...chmentid=93630

Damn, wish someone had written a HOW-TO on the forum.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

It's positioned between the engine block and the turbo, so I'm assuming it isn't too accessible especially with intake piping and all that in the way.

This isn't a really good picture of it, but here's where it is located on the turbo

http://picasaweb.google.com/claureta...21869009339778

it's sitting right below my boost controller in that picture, with the rod going straight down from it.

Donated: $15

2003 Mazdaspeed Protegé

yeah, that's the right part. To get to it, you'll have to take off your hot pipe and some other parts....shouldn't be too hard.

some pictures:

Please note this is not the stock turbo. It is a GT28R, but it gives you an idea of where the WGA is mounted.
    Last edited by Rogue; 12-17-2006 at 01:00 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2003.5 MSP

Thanks a lot Rogue and Kansei. I'll order the part tomorrow.

Alejo_NIN also provided me a great link:
    http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...hp?t=123634567

Allen

the OEM shit *is* adjustable, that's where the price difference comes from
    TheMAN
    '01 BJFP MT
    '05 BK3P HB AT
    '16 BMYFS AT

For Protege and Mazda3 info, come see the Protege FAQ

2003.5 MSP

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN
    the OEM shit *is* adjustable, that's where the price difference comes from
    I'm just running stock turbo, do I need to worry about that?

Thanks,
    Allen

No more MP3...no more MSP MP3Architect's Avatar
    Donated: $24.45

i would also contact jdm sam ("jdm sam x" on aim). hes pretty knowledgeable on this and can get you a good deal on a replacement for sure.

Donated: $10

2003 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2000 Miata

off topic: rogue, what kind of coating is that on the manifold?

mazdaspeed protege

I can't see why the dealer doesn't just sell the ATP piece instead of trying to sell the part that is more than 5x the cost. Come on now wouldn't most people buy the part if it cost $150 instead. I had that problem with mine and after I replaced it once and it happened again I was done with that.

2003 MSP #1475

I've got the ATP replacement, yes its the one you put a link to, yes it works fine although it is not adjustable like the stocker. Installation for me wasn't too bad with the help of another person, although it took a long time if you consider it was just 2 bolts and a clip. I used a really long screwdriver or two to assist with the clip, and a ratchet with a flex joint to get at the bolts (its not easy to make everything fit and have room to turn the ratchet, but its possible.) I went at the top bolt from the top of course, and then for the bottom bolt one person was under the car with the ratchet, and the other person was up top holding onto the actual socket making sure it didn't slip off the bolt. Trying to get the socket on the bottom bolt was probably the hardest part, the rest was just time consuming.

2003.5 MSP

Thank you guys for the info. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions before I actually get it replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by orng1
    I can't see why the dealer doesn't just sell the ATP piece instead of trying to sell the part that is more than 5x the cost. Come on now wouldn't most people buy the part if it cost $150 instead. I had that problem with mine and after I replaced it once and it happened again I was done with that.
    because it's NOT the same!

its just like brake pads... people think brakes are brakes and just get the $20 autozone SHIT instead of paying $100 for OEM brake pads from the dealer

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast