checking trans fluid?

On a manual, there is a bolt facing forward on the transmission case. Unscrew it and look. Just to be sure, put some fluid in. If it's full, it will begin to run out. When the fluid stops leaking, you know you're at the proper level.

Do not confuse this with the drain plug, which is on the bottom face of the transmission (ughdance)

is there no easier way to do it, the reason I ask I just recently bought the car and it had Redline synthetic, but 2 days age saw a leak. I really don't want to buy unneeded stuff. No fluid stick for tranny fluid on the "j"?

No that would be easy, just take off that big bolt and stick your finger in there. That's the easiest way to tell if it's full and if it needs to be replaced. You'll know if it's dirty.

yet, mazda couldn't make a bolt that goes on top....now, that would had been help ful

but well, what do they care...they aren't the ones changing the oil!

is there no easier way to do it, the reason I ask I just recently bought the car and it had Redline synthetic, but 2 days age saw a leak. I really don't want to buy unneeded stuff. No fluid stick for tranny fluid on the "j"?
No offense, but man if you're so cheap you might as well ride a bicycle.

There is a fill hole and drain hole. You add the fluid in the fill hole until it starts to come back out. Buy 3 qts of 75W90.

But before doing that, determine if you really have a leak and fix it.

Alright I definitly have a leak and I have no or little trans fluid in my car ( made a wierd noise when making a 30 sec drive to the car wash in my complex.) Does anybody have a diagram/ picture to help with a diagnosis (ie drian and fill bolts)?.... In addition, in case of the worse possible scenario, Is there a upgrade for the MSP trans?

Alejo_NIN said:
yet, mazda couldn't make a bolt that goes on top....now, that would had been help ful

but well, what do they care...they aren't the ones changing the oil!

Umm, It works like a diff.

You need the plug on the side, because that is how you fill it to the correct level..

Drain from lower hole, re-plug, fill till it leaks, let it leak out of the top hole until it stopps, then put the bolt back on..

Simple..

Mr.E said:
Now for the next dumbass, newbie question? Where to add the fluid?
There are two big bolts 24 or 25mm lower is a drain upper if to fill, fill at the top bolt. I've used a 5/8" or similar foot a half fuel hose and a funnel, it's hard to get to the fill hole with anything else.

Last edited:
orng1 said:
There are two big bolts 24 or 25mm lower is a drain upper if to fill, fill at the top bolt. I've used a 5/8" or similar foot a half fuel hose and a funnel, it's hard to get to the fill hole with anything else.

THANK YOU SIR, YOUR INFO IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

I was just saying that it's better safe than sorry. I don't see how you could just "check" the level without topping it off, especially if it's been leaking.

BTW, the fluid I have is ~$20 per bottle and Redline is only ~$10.

Back