Just want to confirm a broken LSD

GreySpeed

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
So a few days ago i was pulling up my driveway normally after getting a car wash. I had the music on and all I heard was a loud grinding/nasty noise for a second.
At the time I thought I had just spun the tires but later on in the day, I go and roll the car down the driveway and once on the street, I give it gas in 1st and the car wouldn't move. I could feel the clutch starting to move the car, but as soon as it was disengaged, the car just revved like crazy and made constant grinding, rattling noise, but it wouldn't go anywhere.
So my question is, before I have it towed to the dealer, is my LSD blown??? How long does it take to have the LSD replaced?

WELCOME TO THE BROKEN LSD CLUB

have fun replacing it

i have open diff FTW!!!!

1000 times better than LSD's....actually..lsd is like a drug lol...

spinning one tire is the way to go...

If you want to go with an open diff to save a bit of coin, shoot me a PM over on TOprotege. I have 2 available.

Definately broken LSD. Same thing happened to me I drifted home somehow with it slipping and couldn't get it out of my driveway. Expect a nice bill.

Yes, I already have the revised LSD from Mazda and the car went in to the dealer today. They have the tranny torn apart, and tried to tell me the clutch was done (I jut replaced 20k ago with a stage one) :bs: I am waiting for them to call me back and apologize because I know it was the LSD and told them that about ten times. I guess they'll find out when they go to pull it out and half of the LSD remains in the tranny (shocked)

No I picked up a brand new revised LSD for a cheaper price than the dealer a couple days ago because I had concluded that was the problem. This is my first tranny related problem. Then they scared me today with the "it's the clutch bs". I'm going to go to the dealer in a bit and have a look at the clutch and tranny to make sure they aren't trying to f**k me over.

Oh ok. I was a little scared because the revised one is the one I have in my car. If it was the clutch the car should be driveable atleast. Clutches start slipping slowly and not all at once. How many miles do you have on your car? My LSD went out around 70k. Good luck

Yea, I am positive it is not the clutch now, cuz I could feel the clutch grabbing like it always has, and it starts to move the car, but loses power to the wheels when I let the clutch completely out. My car has 103,000 Km.

which dealer did you take your car to? I hope it's not Markham Mazda, they're pure thieves. somebody else in toprotege.com took it there and they insisted it was the clutch, when it was obviously the LSD. they replaced the clutch and found out it was still not working and charged him for the labour and cost of the new clutch. pure BS.

Just got back from the dealer. The clutch obviously was fine, I guess they thought it was burnt badly from the colour that the Bully pressure plate appears. I got my old LSD back, it was not in two pieces as I was expecting, but the gear ring with the teeth spins freely from the rest. I talked to the mechanic and he is currently putting the tranny back together. I should have it back tomorrow afternoon. (first)

^ your orginal lsd should be reusable then. You could have the old lsd welded and possibly sell it. If you're just going to toss it, let me know when so that I can swing by and pick it up :p.

Yea I figured after seeing it that it was still usable. I'm not sure what I am going to do with it. I may have it welded up and keep it incase the current one decides to go, or I might try and sell it for a bit, to help pay this nasty install bill. I just want my car back.

Back