Retro-fitting heated side mirrors to an MS6 Sport

Bluesultan

:
Mazdaspeed6, Black Cherry Mica, Born 4/11/06
I have an MS6 Sport which doesn't have the heated side mirrors as in the GT. My wife's minivan has them, even her 1998 Plymouth Breeze had heated mirrors for crying out loud. (pissed) They don't have a separate button like in the 1999 Acura TL I owned, rather, they come on when you turn the rear defrost on. So, MS6 GT owners, how do yours come on and do you think it would be possible to retrofit them to my car. Thanks.

According to my owner's manual, the heat in the mirrors comes on when you activate the rear window defroster. Can't tell you more than that since I won't have my hands on the actual car until tomorrow. If I can hazard a guess, I would say you can probably install them without much of a problem. Most manufacturers use the same wiring harness for all cars (which have all the appropriate connectors etc) so changing something like this out is plug and chug. "However", I will qualify this by saying that I don't know if any sort of additional pieces (such as a relay) would be required. You could try hitting up Jason at OnlineMazdaParts.com, he is very helpful and might be able to answer your question.

it has heated mirror i beleave. When you turn on the defrost I think it is on the mirrors as well. Maybe not.

only the Grand Touring models have heated mirrors. cheifmg, thanks for the link to that site. they do carry the heated mirrors for the MS6 and i've asked if it's just a plug-n-play with the heated mirror vs. the non-heated mirror.

Anything to help a fellow Black Cherry Mica owner. I am sure Jason will get back to you with some info as soon as he can.

here's the response
They should be plug and play to a point. You will need to run 2 wires from the mirror to the door harness though. The only true plug and play way to do this is to buy both assemblies. JMBaggie

i'm assuming by "assemblies" he means the entire exterior mirror assembly, not just the mirror glass itself. i'll ask to be sure.

This shows promise. Keep us updated please.

I'm the only non-black cherry owner in here, What's going on?

Elicious said:
This shows promise. Keep us updated please.

I'm the only non-black cherry owner in here, What's going on?

We are in the process of taking over the world!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! Guess that BCM owners just need the luxurious things in life more than others.

I would presume that Jason means the entire mirror assembly (as opposed to just the mirror glass). You can ask him specifically to be sure. If those are expensive, now might be a good time to get those neat auto folding mirrors off eBay (only $500 a pair!). Good luck.

trees said:
How easy or hard is it to swap them out?

i assume that you would just take off the existing mirror assemblies and replace with the new assemblies.

edit:

update on the Black Cherry Mica color situation, this one is weird guys:
That is what I thought.

On the MS6 your color is actually called Radiant Ebony Mica, don't ask I couldn't tell you.:)

For the defrost mirrors here are the part#'s and pricing:

Rt side- GP9B69120B88 MSRP-131.70 Website-105.36
Lt side- GP9B69180C88 MSRP-131.70 Website-105.36
Shipping- Free within the US

Thanks

it's available and those are the part numbers for our RADIANT EBONY MICA MS6's (shocked)

Last edited:
Wait, I thought you said you could do this w/o buying all new assemblies? I guess what I'm asking is, what's the bare-bones cheapest I could do this for, putting in more labor of course.

I just went on Montgomery Mazda's site, they list just the mirror glass for $41.64 each. HOWEVER, I don't know if this would include all the wiring needed to plug into the harness. You can write to Jason at that site and he should be able to find out for you.

Look at it this way, even if you buy all new mirror assemblies it's still cheaper than getting a GT! You would probably be able to sell your stock mirrors on eBay or here, I am sure by now there have been those who have damaged theirs and want a cheaper replacement.

Back