Getting remote start as a gift for my gf, 06 Mazda3 hatch, couple of questions...

does the key have a chip in it requiring a bypass installed in the car?

Second, my cousin installs remote starters professionally, he recommended Audiovox as he has never had any problems with them, anyone else have any experience with them?

Lastly, the car does not have the factory remote starter, obviously, but did it come with a factory alarm or is that a feature that only came with the factory remote start? I'm not sure if I need to spring for a remote start/alarm combo or if the factory alarm will do the job.
TIA.

I don't have much experience with remote starts, so I'll answer what I can.

First off the answer to most of your questions hinges on where you are. I'm assuming you're in the US.

1) Yes, US Mz3's (and many other countries) have an engine immobilizer which requires a transponder key to start.

2) Remember, a dealer may take an aftermarket remote start as an excuse to void part of the warranty. There is an OEM remote start, but I can't really say what the price comparison would be.

3) In the US I believe only GT trim come with the alarm.

The engine immobilizer and transponder key systems CAN and DO work with remote start units now. When they first burst onto the scene 5 years or so ago the only way was to hack up one of your keys and mount it up under the dash by the ignition, completely disabling the system. Now they have units that can clone the transponder code and are controlled directly by the alarm module.

I'd recommend Compustar for an alarm/remote start company.

As for testing to see if you actually have the factory alarm system, do the following:

roll down your window. get out of the car, and lock the doors with the remote. Reach through the open window, manually unlock the door, and then open it from the outside. If the car freaks out, you have the alarm.

I have been installing for 3 years now and i would recommend Viper. It is a sub-company of Directed Electronics. They are very reliable and easy to use. They have different ones for different needs. They have just a remote start add-on with no alarm or the full package. They also have the models with the 2-way pager which are really nice, i have that one. It works great and has an awesome range. The models with the non 2-way are also nice. I would recommend getting the full package. It is really nice. The models for 2-way are Viper 791 and Viper 5900. The 5900 has a new 1 mile range capability (supposedly). The non 2-way is Viper 560. In my opinion they are better than Audiovox. The shop i work at sells both of these brands so i know which one is better. The Viper is a little more expensive, but trust me it is worth it. We have many customers who regret not spending the extra $100. You get what you pay for. Directed also sells the transponder bypass. The model for that is 556u. It is universal and you will have to lose a key. The key physically goes into the bypass module and the antenna ring goes around the key cylinder. During the remote start process it sends the signal from the key to the cylinder thus fooling the car that the key is in the ignition.

I also purchased one of these for my wife for a CX7.

Does this bypass system disable the security feature in the key? I heard that after you do this it is easier for someone to steal the car because the chip in the key is bypassed.

I also looked into having Mazda do it. They are $300 for the autostart parts from Mazda and about $330 for the labor plus tax.

If you go with using a key it after market it is about $200 for a replacement key and 130 for the programing!!!!!!! you can also get a key that doesn't have the keyless entry and flip feature for $25, but it's still $130 for the programming!

I'm not sure what to do.

500 or 600 is too much for this.

Any suggestions.

I have the Prestige 996, I think the new model is the 997. I've had it over a year and no problems.

Back