High revs?

Sspring89

:
MazdaSpeed Protege
Driving on the highway the other day i noticed that my tachometers revs were really high. i was going 65 and my revs were already 3k. When i went to 70 they were 3.4k then when i was at 80 it was 4k. this seems a very high for highway miles and it eats up my gas. Also i have no mods under the hood as of yet so i can eliminate that theory. does this happen to anyone else's msp? or do i have a tranny problem? thank for any input.

Well i was doing an average of 70mph on one of my road trips and was doing 32mpg. If you want better gas mileage drive slower.

Sspring89 said:
Driving on the highway the other day i noticed that my tachometers revs were really high. i was going 65 and my revs were already 3k. When i went to 70 they were 3.4k then when i was at 80 it was 4k. this seems a very high for highway miles and it eats up my gas. Also i have no mods under the hood as of yet so i can eliminate that theory. does this happen to anyone else's msp? or do i have a tranny problem? thank for any input.
Sounds normal to me. Even though I don't have an MSP it's the same transmission - we're just geared lower - it's what makes these cars so much fun to drive sometimes. But yeah, highway driving it kind of annoying, but it doesn't seem to affect gas mileage too much.

I always get decent mileage, something around 28-30mpg overall city/highway. Then again I haven't driven my (*#@%^ car in months...so that may not be entirely accurate.

I get 28-30, well.. right now 25-26 (O2 sensor bad is what I blame it on, not my right foot...)
Last road trip, i got ~ 33mpg @ 70mph on I-20

bad mazda tuning causes bad gas mileage. Either drive slower so you're not in the *rich* spot of our A/F curve. Or buy some EMS, or GTX Gears.
Someone was selling just the 5th gear.

i seem to get the best millage at 80mph. The engine seems to run smoother and dosen't vibrate so much. i usually average about 34mpg or so...for a total tank of around 430 give or take a few.

yes the msp rev's pretty high at highway speeds, remarkably I still get 29+ mpg on my stock msp, when I was fully modded I was getting 34+ on the freeway

PlatinumMSP said:
yes the msp rev's pretty high at highway speeds, remarkably I still get 29+ mpg on my stock msp, when I was fully modded I was getting 34+ on the freeway

Yeah I don't get that either, the MSP gets better fuel economy as you mod it?

its not a v8. what 4 cylinder manual does not rev high on the highway? have you ever driven a honda lol i say its fine, heck if it was lower then you would just b**** about how you need mre passing power on the highway and dont wanna downshift lol some peoples kids i dont know what to tell yas.

orng1 said:
Yeah I don't get that either, the MSP gets better fuel economy as you mod it?

Thats exactly it. When you open up the intake and exhaust, the engine is working less hard to suck air in, and blow air out, in turn giving you better millage (in basic terms) Also with an aftermarket EMS, the air/fuel ratios are better controlled, and the car dosnt run as rich. I could get more into detail, but thats a quick explanation I guess

4drboost said:
Thats exactly it. When you open up the intake and exhaust, the engine is working less hard to suck air in, and blow air out, in turn giving you better millage (in basic terms) Also with an aftermarket EMS, the air/fuel ratios are better controlled, and the car dosnt run as rich. I could get more into detail, but thats a quick explanation I guess

Umm, The ECU will balance the air/fuel regardless... so when you "Port and Polish" lets say and more air goes in, more fuel is added. Better Perfomance, more fuel used.. There is no magical "Free Energy"

Your theory about Fuel Econ is False, sadly.

The relatively high revs are normal. 5th gear is shorter than what it should be IMO.

My MSM has the same problem....in 6th gear, 80mph = 4,000rpm.

Sometimes i get 40 mpg highway. Its great. On average driving a mix of city and highway I get 32-34mpg. I shift mostly at 3k.

Brian MP5T said:
Umm, The ECU will balance the air/fuel regardless... so when you "Port and Polish" lets say and more air goes in, more fuel is added. Better Perfomance, more fuel used.. There is no magical "Free Energy"

Your theory about Fuel Econ is False, sadly.

Ok, so is it the added horsepower that is in turn giving better fuel economy? If the car have more power than before, it takes less effort/hrottle to get to speeds?

Back