$300ish Speaker Budget. Suggestions?

Canecreekfreak said:
DaViper- where did you put the tweeters? In the stock door tweeter location, or somewhere else?
I put them in the doors in the stock location. I don't remember if all year P5's came with tweeters by the windows in the doors (because mine is a 2003.5), but I removed these and hot glue'd my new tweeters there behind their grilles...they sound great there! This may sound stupid, but I never realized how much tweeters do for sound until this install. Before I installed the tweeters I tried listening to the speakers without them....wow what a difference it makes with the tweeters installed.

-DaViper

Cool. My doors have the stock tweeters in those sail panels. I was just wondering if they fit. Except for dreading the speaker wire through the door thing, I want to pick up a set of those JL's some time soon. HU power just isn't cutting it. :)

If you are using the passive crossovers, you can just mount the crossover in the door and use the factory wiring through the door jam.

chuyler1 said:
If you are using the passive crossovers, you can just mount the crossover in the door and use the factory wiring through the door jam.

You think those wires can handle 60-100 watts of power? You'd have to cut and extend them from the head unit to the amp though, right? That sure would be easier!

Canecreekfreak said:
You think those wires can handle 60-100 watts of power? You'd have to cut and extend them from the head unit to the amp though, right? That sure would be easier!
Although the stock wires can probably handle it as chuyler said, I think you should run new wires if you have the time/patience. It doesn't hurt to do a little overkill, and this way if you upgrade anything in the future the upgrade will be simple. Your choice though, I'm sure you'll be happy either way.

-DaViper

Poseur said:
If youre intrested in pulling wires I recently re-hosted the pics for my how-to offsite (this site deletes pics after a year or something)http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90091

I did find your thread and pics on a recent search- but thanks for making it even easier for me to find now that I'm sub'ed to this thread. :) It's a great write up, but it certainly did scare me after hearing DaViper's troubles and thinking about running wires through those tiny little spaces myself. Especially during the winter here in NE. But I'll probably get around to doing it at some point. Ah, the things we do for love (of our cars)... (humpleg)

if you go into it equipped for the task at hand it's not that bad, jsutmake sure you've got a drill or dremel-type something for cutting the holes out, and you're good. Also, I wouldn't bother worrying about the extra pur/red wire on the door side molex. pull it out of the connector and tape it off, I've yet to figure out what the hell it's supposed to be for. and assume that by this point I'll never need it for anything. (I taped it off and opened up the hole more at a later date when I pulled some cat5 to my doors)

Back