Stiffen your Mazda 3 rear engine mount - for $4

Thank you.
Put the stock/epoxy mount back in today in place of TRZ Poly. What a relief from the harshness of this mount!
I'll see tomorrow how big is the performance difference.
As I was torquing the vertical bolt the epoxy on the bottom part cracked in one spot. I hope the crack wasn't deep. And how does it crack, anyway? The stuff is supposed to withstand high amounts of pressure. The only reasonable explanation comes to mind is that it cracked in the spot where the surface of epoxy was uneven due to the fact that it took the shape of the tape covering the bottom of the mount as I was pouring the epoxy in.
I'll be checking it every now and then to see how it holds up.
Maybe will upgrade to the Street Unit mount.
the cracks are only in the areas of the epoxy near the edge where it is real thin - I've had mine in for 16 months now and it's holding up fine.

i put the derlin dog bone motor mount and it made my car feel like a piece of junk.... at idle it would vibrate the whole car and when you would tap the gas it would vibrate even harder... and i didnt think going to a stronger motor mount would make all the tranny noises so loud all you would hear when you would drive is transmission noise and loud vibration... and after about 6k miles i hear this raddling coming from undernieth the car on ever bump it sounded like a bold was stuck somewhere and was just jumping around... so when i put the stock mount on all the noises and vibrations went away and i was happy again.. lol... but i hate the wheel hop i got now...and not to mention that the rubber on the stock mount is all torn up...so i cant launch it untill i get a new mount..

I just want to make sure that you guys all know that CorkSport makes a two piece Urethane insert that does the same thing. It sells for $35 you can get it in black or blue. If you need to remove it because you think the dealer may have an issue with it you just unbolt the mount and pull it back out again.

I put it in my MS3 about a month ago.

Ed.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but is there any point in doing this to the other engine mounts as well? or is the design different in that there is not the same air gap? I have not looked, just wondering if anybody has done that.

I've been looking at the cork sport inserts as well but I also have some industrial epoxy at 4,000 psi strength. Cost aside are there any advantages/ disadvantages to using one over the other?

I've been looking at the cork sport inserts as well but I also have some industrial epoxy at 4,000 psi strength. Cost aside are there any advantages/ disadvantages to using one over the other?

I think the inserts are a much better way to go, if u can fork over the extra 20$ or so over epoxy. For one, if you don't like the feel of it, you can pull the inserts out and return to stock in minutes, with epoxy it would be much harder if not impossible to return to stock. With the inserts you don't really have to worry about any cracking or breaking down of the material, the poly is probably more resistant to the weather, heat, chemicals, etc also. Just my opinion, I'm in no way an expert on the situation though.

Last edited:
when I first did the epoxy mod, there were no inserts. Now that there are, the inserts are maybe a better alternative for the reasons stated by 5][Spyder, (iagree) plus they are not that much money. If my epoxy ever breaks down I'll be tryin the corksports. Has anybody with the epoxy mod ever tried the corksports ?

I still think the epoxy mod is a good one and definitely worth doing, just that the inserts now make a bit more sense.
Thanks

Guess I have to ask a stupid question: Once the two bolts are out, how the heck do you get the mount out? It won't slide back, and I don't see a way to slide it forward enough. Also, is the engine supposed to shift rearward enough to make it a B*TCH to just put the mount back in?

It's actually quite easy to shift the engine/trans forward by just pushing it with your hands. When you do this there is just enough room to remove/install the mount.

Oh, OK. Thanks. It was still a trifle warm when I touched it with my hand. I knew I wouldn't be able to hold that and still be able to work next week.

Oh, OK. Thanks. It was still a trifle warm when I touched it with my hand. I knew I wouldn't be able to hold that and still be able to work next week.

DDD, that's why they make Mechanic gloves or towls. ;)(rockon) Dude!

Last edited:
Got 'er done tonight. The LocTite didn't settle into the void as I expected, so I went to Wally-World and got a $2 tube of 1500psi epoxy to fill in from the other side. Got the mount put back in about ten minutes ago. Pushed her off the ramp, 'cause the second epoxy had only set about ninety minutes. I'll start 'er up in the morning an' see if I can tell the difference. I may do the "free" shifter bushing tighten tomorrow.

FOLLOW UP:
I'm getting a vibration at warm idle. Not severe, but very noticeable. I've always been very cognizant of squeaks, rattles, shakes in my cars and I try to reduce/eliminate them if possible. If I rev it up even a little bit, it smoothes out. Is there a way to raise the idle just a bit?

The throttle response seems better, but that may be me getting used to a stick after twenty years. At a kilomile, the drive train is probably loosening up, as well. This car is as much fun to drive as I'd hoped it would be.

Last edited:
so i did this today and i had to drive it about 2 hours after and i was impressed on the difference and i just dropped off my lady and its cured for about 6 hours already and holy s***. its so clean and crisp now. i wouldnt spend the money for the upgraded bushings

Well, I've been looking for a while and I have no idea where this thing is located..

Can anybody show me some pictures or maybe some more guidance? Thanks.

It's the rear mount behind the engine/trans and ahead of the cat converter.

Thanks for replying so fast =)

I'm at work now so I can't give it a look. But, tomorrow morning I will probably jack it up again and take a look. Should I jack up the front or the side?

Back