Stiffen your Mazda 3 rear engine mount - for $4

k so excuse me if i sound retarted lol but wat ur tryin to say is to mix it first??? or just to squeeze the gel into the mount and let it sit tthere?

what i did was exactly like this..
took the motormount off... taped the buttom part with clear thick paking tape... squezed the 2 bottles of epoxy gel inside and i let it sit for the longest time.. then when it sarted dripping out after an hour or two i tried taping it more and it kept dripping out. i left it alone and still havent looked at it... who know if it dried up or not...

Yes, you must thoroughly mix the epoxy first before putting it in the mount. I suspected this might be the problem from your description. You might as well get some acetone or methylene chloride and try to clean the mount up because it will never cure as is. Your not retarded, just at the low end of the learning curve for this particular process. Everyone makes mistakes while learning. One of my suppliers was making a fixture to hold a passenger airbag cover. His mold failed and he dumped 3 gallons of mixed 94A urethane on the floor. That's $180 per gallon......and a helluva mess!
-enganear

fuk dat... this has turned out harder that i thought. i taped the buttom part n now i checked n its comin out the buttom... this s*** is wack idk how u guys got it to dry up.. if anyone has a easy way to explain it go for it... as of now i wasted 8 bucks..

From the 1st post:
"I put tape on the back side of the mount to contain the epoxy. I mixed the entire tube of epoxy and poured it into the mount. 1 tube of this is all you need. It flows just right and entirely filled the gap. In about 3 hours it is rock hard (let it setup in a heated area)."

Sorry you didn't read before you squirted un-mixed epoxy into your mount.
I did this 15 months ago and it's still holding up fine. I would suggest you follow enganear's advise, and spend $4 more bucks you will be happy with the end result !

Last edited:
Yes, you must thoroughly mix the epoxy first before putting it in the mount. I suspected this might be the problem from your description. You might as well get some acetone or methylene chloride and try to clean the mount up because it will never cure as is. Your not retarded, just at the low end of the learning curve for this particular process. Everyone makes mistakes while learning. One of my suppliers was making a fixture to hold a passenger airbag cover. His mold failed and he dumped 3 gallons of mixed 94A urethane on the floor. That's $180 per gallon......and a helluva mess!
-enganear

From the 1st post:
"I put tape on the back side of the mount to contain the epoxy. I mixed the entire tube of epoxy and poured it into the mount. 1 tube of this is all you need. It flows just right and entirely filled the gap. In about 3 hours it is rock hard (let it setup in a heated area)."

Sorry you didn't read before you squirted un-mixed epoxy into your mount.
I did this 15 months ago and it's still holding up fine. I would suggest you follow enganear's advise, and spend $4 more bucks you will be happy with the end result !

damn well thats good to know now! i still have one left so i guess that saves me a trip to HD (alright) i wish i would had read lol but its part of learning! now my mount looks like crap i have it soaked in hot water tryin to get it off. im going to try chloride see how that goes! i appreciate you help guys!!! (drinks) tomorrow im goin to try it again! wish me luck lol

k btw so just to get it staight! mix well!?.. is it supposed to get thick? and mix it like on a piece of cardbox? put tape on the buttom!? and pour it in!?

if that;s perfect then im goin to do tomorrow after class!

nite.

OK,
1. first tape the bottom of the mount completely with duck tape.
2. put mount on flat surface on a piece of cardboard
3.find a small container to mix it up in (a lid from a can of spray paint works great), squirt it all in and mix well.
4. pour the mixed epoxy in immediately after it is mixed (you have a few minutes before it starts to setup)
5. fill the mount all the way up with the epoxy
6. keep the epoxy out of where the bolt goes !
7. wait until very hard (about 3 hours)
8. remove tape
9. remount the mount in your car
10. tightened all bolts nice and tight
11. drive car - enjoy

OK,
1. first tape the bottom of the mount completely with duck tape.
2. put mount on flat surface on a piece of cardboard
3.find a small container to mix it up in (a lid from a can of spray paint works great), squirt it all in and mix well.
4. pour the mixed epoxy in immediately after it is mixed (you have a few minutes before it starts to setup)
5. fill the mount all the way up with the epoxy
6. keep the epoxy out of where the bolt goes !
7. wait until very hard (about 3 hours)
8. remove tape
9. remount the mount in your car
10. tightened all bolts nice and tight
11. drive car - enjoy

(hi)(breakn)
awesome thanks man! really appreciate it.
ppl here must be thinkin im handicapped lmao
btw im not just that i like to get s*** explained
thanks!!

k so excuse me if i sound retarted lol but wat ur tryin to say is to mix it first??? or just to squeeze the gel into the mount and let it sit tthere?

what i did was exactly like this..
took the motormount off... taped the buttom part with clear thick paking tape... squezed the 2 bottles of epoxy gel inside and i let it sit for the longest time.. then when it sarted dripping out after an hour or two i tried taping it more and it kept dripping out. i left it alone and still havent looked at it... who know if it dried up or not...

you have to mix the two bottles together before you put it in the mount.

i'm doing this mod right now but to help speed the process along i'm baking the mount at 150 so the heat should help cure the epoxy faster.

totally worked out. eliminated most of the wheel hop that was there not all of it but most of it. pretty happy with it. i ended up need two packages of epoxy so it cost me 10 bucks but for ten bucks you cant complain, you know?

alright so im in the process of doing it! i hope its goin alright! im following the steps!

Hey I knew you could do it! Looks good. Post after you get it in and test drive the car. Can't wait to read how your car felt with the "new" mount !

I also noticed while driving it last night and today that the car just drives a lot smoother now. There is still some hop when you get on it but it's no where near as bad. (btw i used this epoxy that was rated at 2600 lbs. i saw it and figured hmm...might as well.)

Gorilla glue is good for thin films only, and I don't like it much even for that.
-enganear

Best Mod Ever!!!!

k so finally i got time to install it!
that s*** is the best!
idk what i did different but my def. does vibrate! it feels like a speed with a motor mount! my engine is so stiff idk if its safe lol rides soo much better no more wheel hop at all!!! LOVE THE MOD the best HOW-TO ever!!!!!!!!
BTW... i painted it red (i was a lil bored and figured i'd make it look different!

(yippy)

Do you get any vibrations at idle ?

no vibes at idle. at first i don't know what happened maybe just a resettling, but i got a bit of a pop first start and first couple of passes. but everything is holding and like i said it rides smoother and has way less wheel hop. i love it. cheap and effective.

I've used 3500psi high strength yellow transparent stuff from Pepboys. it's rock hard. is it supposed to be this way or should it give in a little? never worked with epoxy before so don't know whether the end products of 1900 and 3500psi are somewhat the same. thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I've used 3500psi high strength yellow transparent stuff from Pepboys. it's rock hard. is it supposed to be this way or should it give in a little? never worked with epoxy before so don't know whether the end products of 1900 and 3500psi are somewhat the same. thanks for your help.
the rock hard epoxy is not a problem, you still have the stock rubber to absorb vibration and "give" , the epoxy just fills the air gap - so both kinds will work fine (yes)

Thank you.
Put the stock/epoxy mount back in today in place of TRZ Poly. What a relief from the harshness of this mount!
I'll see tomorrow how big is the performance difference.
As I was torquing the vertical bolt the epoxy on the bottom part cracked in one spot. I hope the crack wasn't deep. And how does it crack, anyway? The stuff is supposed to withstand high amounts of pressure. The only reasonable explanation comes to mind is that it cracked in the spot where the surface of epoxy was uneven due to the fact that it took the shape of the tape covering the bottom of the mount as I was pouring the epoxy in.
I'll be checking it every now and then to see how it holds up.
Maybe will upgrade to the Street Unit mount.

Back