Plugs and oil...

bumpin_p5

:
2002.5 Mazda Protege5 SportAuto
Hey guys and gals,
Just a few quick questions about my p5. I will be boosting here soon and I was thinking of changing over to synthetic motor oil. I have 69k on the ody. Anything special I need to know when going from regular to synthetic? Also what brands and weight do you recommend? Thanks
Also, when I install the turbo, will I need to change the spark plugs to a different type? I have heard of some folks using colder plugs in their MSPs and stuff. If so could anyone give me a good brand and model of Spark Plug? Thanks for the help.

I don't know the answer to turbo related questions, but I personally use Mobil 1 synthetic in my ride. I have used Amsoil too, but Mobil 1 is more readily available. The thoughts on oil are different with just about every person you talk to. Some say synthetic is worth it, some say just use good dino juice and keep it fresh. I did that on a truck with 120,000 miles on it, recently sold it, and I see it on the road now towing a giant trailer with lawn equipment. The main thing is just be good to your engine and keep whatever kind of oil you run changed on a regular basis.

hey bro, if your boosting it soon....how much will you sell the header for? and how much boost are you planning to run?

you should just use the same weight that is recommended. for warmer climates, the manual says 10W-30. for colder climates, it says 5W-30. i run 10W-30 Mobil1 synthetic and it's fine. I also run PZFR7F plugs at 0.032" gap... one heat range colder than stock (PZFR6F) b/c i'm running higher boost (10psi). works great.

killer B said:
hey bro, if your boosting it soon....how much will you sell the header for? and how much boost are you planning to run?
Not sure yet onthe header. If I do sell it, it will probably be about a month after I take it off, just to make sure the turbo is running aight.

ChopstickHero said:
you should just use the same weight that is recommended. for warmer climates, the manual says 10W-30. for colder climates, it says 5W-30. i run 10W-30 Mobil1 synthetic and it's fine. I also run PZFR7F plugs at 0.032" gap... one heat range colder than stock (PZFR6F) b/c i'm running higher boost (10psi). works great.
I'll take the advice on the oil, thanks. Would I need to go one step colder on the plugs if I am only boosting 5psi?

Back