Protege engine swap.

hEAtOniK

:
1996 Mazda Protege LX 1.8L
Protege engine swap, seeking advice.

Hi, I have a 1996 Protege LX 1.8L 96hp with an automatic transmission, which is very slow, and I am interested in getting a faster car or just upgrading my protege. Anyways, a buddy of mine had told me about engine swaps and complete upgrades that would work for my protege, all for $1900. To be more specific, I know this $1900 deal comes with an engine (im pretty sure it is the MX-6 F2T 2.2L turbocharged, intercooled engine), a manual transmission, new drive axels, and some other things. My friend had told me the engine would fit in my car, but if not all I would need are motor mounts for around $50. He had told me that the deal is from a local auto shop, so I am pretty sure that this deal is legit, but I was wondering, does this sound like a reasonable price? or way too low to be true?

The next thing I want to know is if this engine swap with turbo and tranny swap is even possible in this car?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
i dont know that the f2t fits without modification, you would definately have to change the wiring harness etc. your main problem is going from obdII to obd I do you have emission inspections in WA?

Liquid_Ag said:
i dont know that the f2t fits without modification, you would definately have to change the wiring harness etc. your main problem is going from obdII to obd I do you have emission inspections in WA?

Yes we do, however my car is registered to my brother, who lives in a town that does not require emissions. Can you explain to me what odbII and odb are? and what are the risks of doing this cause I dont want anything to go wrong. Plus I would have to put in a manual transmission in my automatic car, so im beginning to think whether it is a waste of time/money and whether I should just buy another car that is just about as fast stock.

Last edited:
obd II and obd I are onboard diagnostics/computers/emissions controls. basically to go from obd II (which you have) to obd I would require a whole new harness and engine management. i would honestly sell your car and get a 1990-94 protege - this engine will drop right in. also, if you car is a 1996 lx, its is a 1.5 liter, not 1.8, only the es models came with a 1.8

Liquid_Ag said:
obd II and obd I are onboard diagnostics/computers/emissions controls. basically to go from obd II (which you have) to obd I would require a whole new harness and engine management. i would honestly sell your car and get a 1990-94 protege - this engine will drop right in. also, if you car is a 1996 lx, its is a 1.5 liter, not 1.8, only the es models came with a 1.8

Yeah, well If I were to sell my car, I would not get another protege, unless it would be extremely fast with the turbocharged 2.2L mx-6 engine. And yes thanks for that information, I just found that out today, that my car is a 1.5L. Well thanks for your help.

And, I know this is a mazda forum, but I was wondering what you know about the h-22 engine and what cars it can fit in, like the honda CRX would be my car of choice to put that engine in (I have heard that the engine will fit, just not sure.)

Last edited:
you might be able to drop in a BP-T 1.8 turbocharged engine which is far superior to the crusty old F2-T, much easier swap and more powere potential.

Captain KRM P5 said:
you might be able to drop in a BP-T 1.8 turbocharged engine which is far superior to the crusty old F2-T, much easier swap and more powere potential.

BP-T 1.8 turbocharged intercooled engine? yeah I looked it up, it is stronger than the 2.2L F2-T, how much do you think that engine would be and what car does it originally come in, if at all, and whether or not in would fit in my protege?

"1989-1991 - 1.8 L (1840 cc) BPT, FI, 16-valve DOHC, turbo, 163 hp (120 kW)/159 ftlbf (216 Nm)" - this is the engine you are talking about correct? Well look at this one, would this one be the same size and would I be able to fit it in my car?:

"1992-1993 - 1.8 L (1840 cc) BPD, FI, 16-valve DOHC, turbo, 210 hp (156 kW)/173 ftlbf (235 Nm). Powered the Familia GT-R"

Thanks

Last edited:
95 to 98 proteges came with an optional 1.8 liter engine which was a non turbo BP. we sell the swap on our website and you can also get them from corksport.

the BP-T did not come to the US, it was in japanese and australian specification protege equivalent cars (familia)

Captain KRM P5 said:
95 to 98 proteges came with an optional 1.8 liter engine which was a non turbo BP. we sell the swap on our website and you can also get them from corksport.

the BP-T did not come to the US, it was in japanese and australian specification protege equivalent cars (familia)

Oh, so in otherwords there is no way of getting the BP-T or BPD unless I have lots of money?

Back