new battery now starts/idles funny??

uiuc240

:
2002 Protege5
OK, so my old OEM Panasonic battery was starting to crap out. Bought a new battery and dropped it in today. Starts right up, good to go. But since then, I've driven it a few times, and the idle is low and it starts kinda strange...takes a bit longer than normal to catch. I've never had something like this happen when changing a battery. Any ideas?

I'm wondering if the computer was compensating for the low battery for so long, that it "learned" a new way to idle and now it just has to relearn everything? Because I know the car isn't broken...it still runs fine, pulls strong, and everything else works (I didn't fry anything).

Any ideas? If not, that's fine...just thought I'd see what others think.

Eric

update:

Seems to be working better this morning. Didn't notice the low idle nearly as much, and the starting improved a bit. Still not the same as before though. Might confirm my idea that it's "relearning" though...

Any time you unhook your battery, the ecu has to reset itself. It may take a week for your idle to return to normal. I think it causes you to run really rich or something too so your gas mileage will suck until it has reset.

that's kind of what I figured. it's strange that Mazda doesn't have a better fuel map or a smarter/faster relearn mode...but i think we knew that.

Back