How to:Installing AWR rear/bottom mount

zoom-zoomhatch said:
I hope they don't try to pull some crap like that, it actaully never crossed my mind till now sadly. I've heard of this mount breaking at least once before somewhere so hopefully they'll just rule that it needs to be replaced with a stronger piece and be done with it.
Put the stock rear mount back in only takes 20 min or so. (boom02)

So, did they have a problem with the AWR mount installed? Was there any other damage to the car?

They didn't give me any problems over it, they fixed what they needed to fix and the only thing they wouldn't do for free is put the stock mount on in place of the busted awr, which wasn't hard anyway.

Stupid noob question alert:

You DO have to loktite everything when you bolt the new one back on, yes?

nondual said:
Stupid noob question alert:

You DO have to loktite everything when you bolt the new one back on, yes?
Yup. Did I forget to mention that? Doh!

1st post updated.

Haha... I forgot to loctite mine.. But they haven't moved a bit. I did mark them so I'd know if they backed off or not..

ive read reviews that mention newer MM makes more vibration, and also less vibration. im guessing stiffer ones make more(like the 88), and the softer ones make less(like 70).

slikshoes said:
What Torque did you guys set each bolt to? Thanks in advance.
No torque wrench yet. Just go as tight as you can get it. just the way I like my women..

They were about 60-70 on the mount to take them off and about 80-90 on the bracket on the trans. These are just an est. I just tried to put em on slightly tigher then they came off.

BTW: For those that haven't seen or don't know the differences between the mounts, here is a picture highlighting them.

IMG_0706W.jpg

It looks like they take a std OEM mount bracket and welded in new metal for the smaller diameter bushing. Then installed the smaller, solid polypropylene bushing followed by the metal insert.

I installed mine easily. No problems @ all. The engine and trans assm hung nicely w/o any mount at all in place. I was able to lever out the old mount w/a large screwdriver and push the eng assm forward w/my hand.
The new bushing was a bit tougher. It's smaller, stiffer makeup made it more difficult to wedge back in, but it still was not that hard.
20mins wheels up to wheels down on a gravel driveway. Not bad, IMO.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this how-to! I will be doing this with my mechanic as soon as my mounts come in.

Dude! Don't waste your money. This is so easy that even a non-mechanical person should be able to do it.

Last edited:
I got my service manual and the two bolts on the mount itself should be torqued to 68.7 to 85.9 ft-lb. The three bolts holding the bracket to the transmission have the same spec.

Thanks Rotus8, I've been waiting on my manual to get these torque specs. before I put mine on.
Your number(first)

Rotus8 said:
I got my service manual and the two bolts on the mount itself should be torqued to 68.7 to 85.9 ft-lb. The three bolts holding the bracket to the transmission have the same spec.

Sure, bbrich (by the way I really like your car) but I don't have a jack & jackstands, or ramps to drive the car up. Also, my garage is not at all level - frostheave years before we bought the house. My mechanic will end up charging about $30 for it, so that's worth it to me.

ch77 said:
Sure, bbrich (by the way I really like your car) but I don't have a jack & jackstands, or ramps to drive the car up. Also, my garage is not at all level - frostheave years before we bought the house. My mechanic will end up charging about $30 for it, so that's worth it to me.

Thanks for the kudos, ch77. I have put a lot of myself into it, and w/a wife that doesn't always understand it's been hard just doing what I've done sometimes.
That's too bad that you don't have a place to do it, but I understand.
If it'll make you feel any better, I don't even have a garage and my driveway is what they call "calechi" here, which is really just a limestone sand/gravel/stone mix. Them rocks is SHARP, Man!!!
I did mine in the drive using a homemade pair of ramps (2"x6's and solid cement blocks.) 'Very sturdy, as long as you drive up on the blocks all the way.

Last edited:
Back