How to:Installing AWR rear/bottom mount

C-Bass said:
QFT, same deal for me. If it bothers you too much though, you could consider getting some 2x4's to lay down in front of the ramps to raise the front end up a hair before you actually drive onto the ramps.

Nice.... good idea... I'll have to do that. Good thing I get off work early. I just have bad flash backs when I had my winning blue MZ3 and parked up tooo close to a high curb. SSssscrruuunch! What a gut wrenching sound that was... I don't wanna recreate that sound on this car... hehe...

JimmyMac said:
Nice.... good idea... I'll have to do that. Good thing I get off work early. I just have bad flash backs when I had my winning blue MZ3 and parked up tooo close to a high curb. SSssscrruuunch! What a gut wrenching sound that was... I don't wanna recreate that sound on this car... hehe...
Let me know how it goes.

Well all is said and done. I ended up using 2x4's in front of the ramps and it helped clear the bumper. The stock mount actually came out not as hard as I was expecting it to. One thing I did to help make the AWR mount slip in easier was to smear a dab of dish soap on the red bushing on both sides. This let the mount slip in easier. But I got kinda lost during the install and was wondering why it would not line up. I think I pushed the engine up too high with the jack. So I took the jack out completely and pulled the engine down to line it up. I was surprised at how easy the engine moves around in there with just my hands!!

Anyways.. everything is in there just fine. I will say starting up the car and driving it around, you could feel a little more vibration. At idle it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. It's just mainly when you slowly come off the clutch into 1st gear at a light. The engine actually feels more planted in the car now.

Well we should see what happens once the Xede gets here... :D Oh yeah.. I have the 70 duro version.

JimmyMac said:
Anyways.. everything is in there just fine. I will say starting up the car and driving it around, you could feel a little more vibration. At idle it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. It's just mainly when you slowly come off the clutch into 1st gear at a light.

I put most of my driving miles in behind the wheel of my CRX, and drive the MS3 on weekends. Either that vibration dissapears or it is so liveable that even somebody who rarely drives the car won't notice it after a few trips to the movies. If the vibration bothers you, don't worry. It won't for long :)

I'm not worried. I have a 93 Miata. So when I drive the MS3, it feels like a luxury car.. haha.... I guess when I'm done soup'n up this car... I'll go back and work on my Miata again. I had a GReddy turbo kit on it with a few other mods. But the turbo started to leak oil into the intake recently. So I pulled it off. Now that car just sits in the yard rusting while I have fun in my MS3....

I barely felt any vibrations at all when I installed the mount. Only when my A/C was running it was noticeable.

Doesn't the shifting feel nice and 'crisp' now?

I did this mod yesterday and have discoverd a way to make it MUCH easier.

First off, there is no need to support the tranny when the mount is removed. Without the mount things are quite stable.

Second, the three 19mm bolts shown in your 4th picture can be removed. These hold an adapter plate and with this plate out of the way, the old mount just slides out. Slide the new one in, put the plate back; no prying or shoving. Five bolts and you are done. It is helpful to start the threads in all five bolts before tightening any of them. At this point you might need to put a little upward pressure with a jack to line it up, but I found it unnecessary. The three 19mm bolts were pretty tight so torque them up well.

Thanks for the write-up and I hope this makes it easier for future implementers.

Rotus8 said:
I did this mod yesterday and have discoverd a way to make it MUCH easier.

First off, there is no need to support the tranny when the mount is removed. Without the mount things are quite stable.

Second, the three 19mm bolts shown in your 4th picture can be removed. These hold an adapter plate and with this plate out of the way, the old mount just slides out. Slide the new one in, put the plate back; no prying or shoving. Five bolts and you are done. It is helpful to start the threads in all five bolts before tightening any of them. At this point you might need to put a little upward pressure with a jack to line it up, but I found it unnecessary. The three 19mm bolts were pretty tight so torque them up well.

Thanks for the write-up and I hope this makes it easier for future implementers.
Thanks for the advice! I'll add it to the main post.

BSTD3 said:
So the only motor mount to get is for the rear on the Speed3? There is no front motor mount?
There are three mounts, one on each side and one at the back. The one at the back constrains the whole motor/trans package from rocking fore and aft. Replacing it with a stiffer mount really tightens up the whole car. The stock one is really loose.

There are reports of the others (left one I think) breaking when the car goes into severe wheel hop, I don't think it needs to be stiffer, just stronger. The stiffer rear mount will reduce wheel hop, possibly alleviating the problem.

Rotus8 said:
There are three mounts, one on each side and one at the back. The one at the back constrains the whole motor/trans package from rocking fore and aft. Replacing it with a stiffer mount really tightens up the whole car. The stock one is really loose.

There are reports of the others (left one I think) breaking when the car goes into severe wheel hop, I don't think it needs to be stiffer, just stronger. The stiffer rear mount will reduce wheel hop, possibly alleviating the problem.
Only ONE report so far of the passenger side 'breaking'. No actual proof or pictures yet.

drivers side has three reports (one with pictures/proof) of the bolt backing out due to mazda forgetting to put loktite on the bolt.

Turd Ferguson said:
No loktite? Thats .. thats.. totally unbelievable! What the hell were they thinking?

It's an oversized hat see, its funny! Sorry I had to with the name Turd Ferguson.. :p

BSTD3 said:
It's an oversized hat see, its funny! Sorry I had to with the name Turd Ferguson.. :p
Oversized Hat.. funny.

no its not

Yeah it is.. its funny cause its uh.. bigger than a uh.. normal sized hat.
look at that hah

Will you get away

Nutari said:
Thanks for the advice! I'll add it to the main post.

Yeah, good advice.
I have the 70 durometer mount in the shop, but am waiting for some better weather to do it in. This should save some time and aggravation.
Thanks Rotus8!!
BTW, and off-topic: Would love to see some pics of the Lotus7?

Last edited:
Nutari said:
Only ONE report so far of the passenger side 'breaking'. No actual proof or pictures yet.

drivers side has three reports (one with pictures/proof) of the bolt backing out due to mazda forgetting to put loktite on the bolt.

My passenger side mount broke yesterday, and I already have the awr rear mount installed, it snapped right in front of the rubber part and I'll try to get some pictures.

zoom-zoomhatch said:
My passenger side mount broke yesterday, and I already have the awr rear mount installed, it snapped right in front of the rubber part and I'll try to get some pictures.

Thanks for keeping stats, Nutari.

Sorry to hear that, ZZH.

So, Speed3 owners? What are we to do? I'm already driving like a grandma.

zoom-zoomhatch said:
Hey I really hope they don't notice your AWR mount and try to blame the AWR mount as the cause of your busted front mount. Do you think they would try to put the blame on the AWR mount if they noticed it ?

flyrevs said:
Hey I really hope they don't notice your AWR mount and try to blame the AWR mount as the cause of your busted front mount. Do you think they would try to put the blame on the AWR mount if they noticed it ?
I would say yes they will blame the AWR mount and yes they will notice it.

And I think it will be tough to argue that the AWR mount did not place additional stress on the other mounts. There is no question that one stiffer mount will place additional stress on the others.

I'm not saying the other mounts should break due to that additonal stress (they should be stronger then that), just noting the fact.

As well you can bet they will be taking a close look at all the mounts, so the AWR will stand out.

I hope they don't try to pull some crap like that, it actaully never crossed my mind till now sadly. I've heard of this mount breaking at least once before somewhere so hopefully they'll just rule that it needs to be replaced with a stronger piece and be done with it.

Back