Consumer Reports

mikey1981

New issue out comparing small suvs: X3, RDX, CX-7, then the Toyota FJ & Jeep (dont know why these are part of the group)

Good Read.

Somehow miraculously CR recommends the RDX. Even tho its a brand new model etc, and they go on to say how the CX-7 is too new for them to evaluate. I think the CX-7 came out before the RDX.

Anyways, for those of you without CR, the RDX & CX-7 had almost identical pros & cons. Pros being Handling & breaking. The 7 tested w/strong midline power. The cons for both vehicles were ride quality. They knock the RDX's ride moreso than the 7 & fuel economy for both vehicles.

ANyways jsut thought id let you kno the issue is out if you are not familiar with it

They automatically recommend new Toyotas and Hondas because of their track record--their products are consistently at least average, and average is enough to be recommended if the road test score is also decent. New models from other manufacturers must first prove themselves.

Where CR gets into trouble is they'll sometimes publish actual reliability ratings for models released in the spring. This was the case with the Honda Fit this year. The survey said to only report repairs that occurred through 3/31, and the Fit arrived in April. But they had over 100 responses from people who didn't read, misread, or ignored the directions, so they decided to publish a result. I personally think it's risky to base a rating entirely on people who didn't follow the instructions.

Last year this process yielded a rating 160% above the average for the Ridgeline. This year, with more solid data, CR has reported that the Ridgeline's reliability "has declined to average." My suspicion is that the truck didn't get worse, but that their data got better.

Right. I agree.

Track record yea thats great - but when a vehicle is a 100% new model, i dont buy it

It just doesnt ring true, and for some reason this particular issue just didnt seem right to me. Not that I own a CX-7, but it just seemed like it didnt make sense. I dont think its also good practice to recommend on a brand new model - if it was the 07 MDX - then yes, because its a model that existed and its redesigned, but models from scratch that are 100% new, i dont think they should be stamping their recommendation on them, its unfair, is a fake-approval so to speak, who knows the RDX could fall apart at 20k miles for all we kno, i just think its very misleading, especially on consumer reports part to do that

great post. Yea they claim to be unbiased but in reality they are.

Last edited:
Consumer Reports makes me cry. An "unbiased" source so very biased... recommends crap on a regular basis.

Seems that the acceleration times and stopping power reported in the CR database are out of sight. I can't believe it. They must have had a very early pre production model.(pissed)

CU CX-7 opinions

P5w3kids said:
They only test production cars, because they buy them from dealers.
Well, yes of course, my error. However, they had written up the cx-7 early in the year and have owner opinions dating back to June 13th.

I do assume that these early non broken in models will do better as the miles pile up.

I can't stand CR. Especially for cars, they'd be the last people I'd trust.

A customer brought in an advertisement showing CR reported this $2500 HP laptop to be the best buy. I was like "Do you really need a $2500 laptop? Or are you just buying one because CR reported it to be the best". They couldn't answer that question, so I assumed, and showed them something different.

Testing computers is a joke. They all use the same components, and there are hundreds of different configurations. What exactly would make one better than another?

I paid $800 for my fairly loaded dual core Dell laptop with 17" screen months ago. Can't beat the Dell Outlet. Three times that much is crazy money.

Silver Ecstasy said:
I can't stand CR. Especially for cars, they'd be the last people I'd trust.

are you saying that when they give a "Not Recommended" to a ferrari for "lack of trunk space" that their opinion on cars might not be entirely credible? ;)

P5w3kids said:
Testing computers is a joke. They all use the same components, and there are hundreds of different configurations. What exactly would make one better than another?

I paid $800 for my fairly loaded dual core Dell laptop with 17" screen months ago. Can't beat the Dell Outlet. Three times that much is crazy money.

dunno if u want to say definative source, but I goto PC World.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/116888-1/article.html

they test all their computers with their World benchmark test. Whether that be pushing polygons or multiple apps - their testing and ratings seem to be as on point as anything and is regarded as basically THE test source to find out if the comp sucks. In some many cases the best scoring comps are not the most expensive ones

"WorldBench 5 uses real applications running real-world tasks to assess a PC's overall performance. varied testing, including multitasking and task-switching tests, more strenuous 3D graphics marks, and audio and video encoding designed to stress today's more powerful systems"

Whats hard now is that computers are so similar using same components that its tough to decide. However, they all perform differently

We should just start a why do u hate consumer reports thread hahah

Back