Longevity

mikey1981

Are there some basic upgrades i can do to my 7 that will help preserve the turbo and/or increase the life out of it?

I bought my 7 with the intent on keeping it for a while, i will most likely get an extended warranty but figured from reading on this board u guys know what ur talking about when it comes to turbos

mikey1981 said:
Are there some basic upgrades i can do to my 7 that will help preserve the turbo and/or increase the life out of it?

I bought my 7 with the intent on keeping it for a while, i will most likely get an extended warranty but figured from reading on this board u guys know what ur talking about when it comes to turbos
Not really upgrades....change the oil, proper warmup and shutdown will help the turbo in the long run.

Exhaust work helps reduce backpressure (backpressure= increased turbo heat) but since there is no exhaust out there at this time...just keep up with the maintenance.

Cookim6 said:
(backpressure= increased turbo heat)

Not so much. Either way it's irrelevant. Turbos are made to get hot, REALLY hot. Glowing red/white hot. That's not the issue. My "daily driver" can see 700+ degrees C and it's no cause for alarm. The issue is in keeping it lubricated. The turbo is (should be) oil cooled. There is innate heat transfer going on in the lubrication process.

In terms of longevity?? Keep your systems lubed and cooled. If you MUST go out of your way to do this (really out of the way I might add)

Front mounted oil cooler
Transmission fluid cooler
Oil changes
CV axles greased
valve adjustments at proper intervals
etc.

My mother drives an old Nissan Pathfinder. She babies it, changes the oil infrequently, otherwise doesn't care for the car and it's got 150k+ miles. You have to intentionally misuse a car nowadays...

9Hooker said:
Not so much. Either way it's irrelevant. Turbos are made to get hot, REALLY hot. Glowing red/white hot. That's not the issue. My "daily driver" can see 700+ degrees C and it's no cause for alarm. The issue is in keeping it lubricated. The turbo is (should be) oil cooled. There is innate heat transfer going on in the lubrication process.

In terms of longevity?? Keep your systems lubed and cooled. If you MUST go out of your way to do this (really out of the way I might add)

Front mounted oil cooler
Transmission fluid cooler
Oil changes
CV axles greased
valve adjustments at proper intervals
etc.

My mother drives an old Nissan Pathfinder. She babies it, changes the oil infrequently, otherwise doesn't care for the car and it's got 150k+ miles. You have to intentionally misuse a car nowadays...

Nice, i didnt know if there was special maintenance with a turbo. Im a babier when it comes to cars, always dealer serviced and always go the extra mile when it comes to keeping my car running like new

CX-7 Turbo

Not really upgrades....change the oil, proper warmup and shutdown will help the turbo in the long run.

Exhaust work helps reduce backpressure (backpressure= increased turbo heat) but since there is no exhaust out there at this time...just keep up with the maintenance.

What is the proper way to warmup and shutdown the turbo?? This is the first Mazda and turbo I have owned. Just purchased my CX-7 GT last month.

Thanks,

Ron

Drive gently until the engine temp gauge starts to move.
After a long run on the highway or up a hill or high revs, let it idle for 30-60 seconds.

As far as the upgrades suggested by 9hooker.

The car comes from the factory with a transmission cooler.
And the turbo is both oil and water cooled.
At least according to others on this site.

Back