brake light

stutter

Has anyone had their brake light come on while driving?
Its about minus 5+ degrees where I'm at. My hand brake was not pulled either.
Or does it mean its time to service my brakes? I don't think we have a sensor on our P5s to detect that???

On another note....does the cold air deflate your tires? I had a flat today but there was no nail or anything.

Thanks in advance. Drive safe.

There is a sensor in the brake fluid reservoir that tells you when it gets low, and it uses the same light as the handbrake light. It is supposed to mean that your pads need changing cause by the time the fluid is that low (without leaks) the pads are nearly all gone.

stutter said:
Has anyone had their brake light come on while driving?
Its about minus 5+ degrees where I'm at. My hand brake was not pulled either.
Or does it mean its time to service my brakes? I don't think we have a sensor on our P5s to detect that???

On another note....does the cold air deflate your tires? I had a flat today but there was no nail or anything.

Thanks in advance. Drive safe.

yes i had it happen a few times. it came on under braking. as it has been said before you shouldn't have to add fluid. it your fluid is low it is because of one of two things 1) you have a leak 2) the pads are worn and the fluid drops accordingly. once you put on new pads the fluid level will rise. when my light came on the pads were not that low. when i eventually upgraded my brakes, the stock pads had at least 30-40% left on them. honestly i think it is just due to a somewhat overly sensitive switch that turns the light on.

im glad i saw this page, mine does the same thing, only when its cold...ill have to more more fluids in..thanks

thanks for the feedback guys. gonna get it checked out next week.

BKJT05 said:
im glad i saw this page, mine does the same thing, only when its cold...ill have to more more fluids in..thanks

thanks guys, my MP3 brake light also has been on/off for almost two month...same m.o., almost gone front pads with cold temp (30~38F here in so cal morning)...

guess it's time for cross rotors and some upgrade pads...

NJP5Guy said:
yes i had it happen a few times. it came on under braking. as it has been said before you shouldn't have to add fluid. it your fluid is low it is because of one of two things 1) you have a leak 2) the pads are worn and the fluid drops accordingly. once you put on new pads the fluid level will rise. when my light came on the pads were not that low. when i eventually upgraded my brakes, the stock pads had at least 30-40% left on them. honestly i think it is just due to a somewhat overly sensitive switch that turns the light on.

That's very odd you say that...because my P5 is doing the same thing. I've got about 50% pad left on the fronts, and about 30% on the rear pads.

I just bought it two Fridays ago, and every morning when I starty driving, for like the first 15-20 minutes my brake light will be on. The fluid is at the appropriate level, but I do notice that very soon after I take off after letting it warm up, the first two or three times I brake, I notice a slight rubbing noise (what I think would be the built in rear brake sensors) coming from the back of the car.

So yeah, especially after NJP5Guy said what he did in the quoted post above mine, I too believe that it's just an overly sensitive brake sensor.

I'm going to call the Mazda dealer where the car was originally purchased by the previous owner to see if the warranty is still valid. If it is, I'd like them to take a look at the braking system, just to be sure. My P5 currently has 44,800 mi on it.

Back