Where to get tuned??

BKJT05

:
2002 Protege 5
This next spring I will be purchasing a turbo for my p5, does anybody know where or know anybody to install everything, and also anybody know where to get it dyno tuned??? Please pm me or report here...THANKS

As shops go, best bet is Sublime anymore. plus they can dyno tune it in house. If you by a turbo kit, you should be able to bolt it on yourself. If given enough heads up, members on here could help ya out, my self included.

Well i hope when it comes everybody is still willing to help, id rather work with a couple guys or someone who knows what they are doing and install everything myself, i wanna learn how to do it all!!! plus im sure it will cost a pretty penny to have someone do it for me. ill take it in and have it dyno tuned by a pro when its done. I hope whenever i do get it it dont like FOREVER to get it done, it is my daily driver. maybe when i get it ill just rent a car or buy a junker to get me from A to B. then sell the junker when the beast is done...haha...

What kind of ems are you going to run with it? That may make a difference as well. I'm not in the Big O enough to know the best shops, but I have heard a few bad things (one good thing) about Transonic (don't even think he's around anymore, no?). Sublime may be the only way to go at this point in time. ??
Don't know if you're looking to drive or haul a distance, but on the MN side of the forum, I have heard some good things about a couple places in the twin cities area. That would be, what, a five or six hour drive? Don't know anything about the KC or Lincoln area.

Also, I'm more than down to turn a wrench or two, by no means an expert, but I'll always help when I can. (thumb)

um idk which ems, whichever one comes with the kit, im saving up now for the complete kit fom hiboost or protegegarage, it has everything i need, except im going to spend the extra $700 to get forged internals, yea i guess i got time to find people to help me do it, april is when i plan on doing it or maybe may, depends on how good i am at saving my $. i figure by then ill have my windows tinted, rims, suspension complete and whatever else i wanna do, then once i get the turbo installed my car will be complete, I was thinking about not installing my rims or suspension until i get the turbo, that way i will go from complete stock to insanely sweet. like pimp my ride, haha.

BKJT05 said:
um idk which ems, whichever one comes with the kit, im saving up now for the complete kit fom hiboost or protegegarage, it has everything i need, except im going to spend the extra $700 to get forged internals, yea i guess i got time to find people to help me do it, april is when i plan on doing it or maybe may, depends on how good i am at saving my $. i figure by then ill have my windows tinted, rims, suspension complete and whatever else i wanna do, then once i get the turbo installed my car will be complete, I was thinking about not installing my rims or suspension until i get the turbo, that way i will go from complete stock to insanely sweet. like pimp my ride, haha.
Well if you go with the forged internals, which is smart, you will have to take you;re engine to a shop and have that done since you can't, for the most part, put that stuff in in youre driveway.

Transonic is around, but unless it's a Toyota, I haven't heard many endorsments.
I know there is a dyno shop in Lincoln somewhere, but I can't think of the name right now. If your going to break into the engine, get your checkbook ready because that's generally not a job for average DIY'er. Depending on the car, tuning can be kind of tricky. I don't have alot of experience, but from what I've read, a good tuner will sit down with you first and find out what your intended purpose is for the car....track, strip or mostly street driving, what future mods you might have planned and decide WITH you how far your willing to push the envelope. If it were me, I'd also try to find someone with experience with my particular car and especially with the EMS.

thanks, i got alot of time to figure out what im going to do so ill just keep getting opinions etc...

Best bet is to go with the hiboost kit. Should have everything you need including the EMS ( engine management system ). If you go forged internals, which you should if you can aford it and are willing to have the patience to have it done right, you won't have to worry about it later down the road. Remember, anything worth doing is worht doing right, the first time. I will be honest, I would not recommend you do this yourself for a couple of reasons. 1) This is you're main ( maybe only ) car. Can you afford to have things go worng and be without it for long periods of time? 2) Never having done anything close to caliber, I would recommend you start of small and work your way up to build up you experience. Maybe get a 2nd car you can tinker on and not worry about it if it blows up.

Hope this makes sense to ya.

yea...thanks for the advice. I can afford to have it done, but man i know its going to cost a pretty penny, i love to spend and blow money, but not to have someone else do somthing i think i could do. haha i guess i need to find out how much it will be n go from there, id rather be safe then be sorry...

A little late response, but for the tuning end of your build I may be able to help. I installed my Microtech and tuned it on the street in no time. Wideband+datalogging = cake. In actuality you will most likely be able to tune it yourself as well, it really is easy.

I can give ya tips when the time comes.

Obviously you should have someone build the block, but as far as the turbo kit and EMS goes I really think you should do it yourself+a buddy or two. I don't see a kit made for the car being too hard to install. Not that it won't take time, but the problems you run into will be little annoyances rather then major problems. As long as you have general set of tools you should be fine.

Thanks

Yea, i figure if i can get your help as well as the other local Protege owners i think i could do the install, dont worry if everybody comes together and helps me, ill provide food n drink and probably some cash for the help. The Hiboost site has step by step pictured instructions so I think with the right tools etc, it can be done without paying a local shop to install it. Its a bold on kit so it should not be that hard, plus i did talk to another pro owner on this site who did the install with a friend, he said it wasent that bad, took a couple days, but thats expected, my plan is to buy the kit, tools, etc, and take my vacation at work, then work day and night until its running on the streets, i know everbody else will have to work, but if i can get help with the major stuff, im sure ill catch on and will be able to do any lil things. One thing I hope i get for X-Mas is a good set of tools, I dont have a nice good set, and i think good tools=better=easier work experience. So yea, EVERYBODY mark it on your calender...April Or May is Due Date...haha....THANKS....

I agree with 03MSP. Forged motor=somebody else with some expertise. The turbo kit and everything associated with it, we can work out. I have somewhat limited tools, but let me know and I'll bring everything I have (as soon as I get this mutherfucker up and moving). We'll knock it out in a weekend. s***, who knows, I may be living down the street at that point.
03, you're one of the reasons, in the long run, I'm looking to go with Microtech. The adjustability seems to be there for everything I will need, without going to a shop to adjust EVERYtime. I've heard of problems with the Haltech tuning, even by the "experts." The Unichip is a viable option, but there is just no "tunability" in it that I can see. Just don't know much about Megasquirt, that seems to be a big name in the midwest lately.
Either way, I'm down to help in any way I can.

Megasquirt can be very good but it has a steep learning curve. One thing I like A LOT about Microtech is the changes are on the fly (not sure about Megasquirt in this area). I don't know how it is with the Haltech but I know that Hondata (Huge EMS for Hondas) you make your changes to the fuel map, and then have to upload that to the ECU. If you make quite a few changes it will cause the engine to sputter or stall completely. If it's only one value you can upload it with the engine running but not sure if it's smart to do while driving.

Megasquirt also does not have temperature corrections so you have to retune the maps if the weather changes substantially (hellooo Nebraska).

And of course if either of you two end up going with the Microtech I'll be able to help out and supply maps that should take 90% of the tuning time out of the picture.

I have quite a few tools and I should be able to help out with the kit install, as well as the EMS if you decide to do it yourself. I've become pretty good at soldering the no slack wiring down by the ECU.

edit: Oh yeah, my name is Brandon by the way :)

Turbo

(glare) Sweet, another Brandon, my name is Brandon too, also im looking forward to meeting you locals, not too many of my friends are into cars like i am so it will be nice to meet a couple guys to help me out or if its car audio i can help you out, Yea my goal is april or may, i was debating if I should buy the complete kit for $3800 or buy the budget and get the microtech and differenet BOV, any suggestions???

>>>haha it was funny, i got my windows tinted this week and installed underglow (took it off already lol) yesterday and now people seem to think i got a race car, since ive baught this car about 8 months ago i havent had a single person try to race me, well last night on the drive home, i pull up to a red light, there is a tourus sho next to me, as soon as i pull up he starts revin his engine trying to give me the eye to race him, i just ignored him knowing i would get smashed, anyways the light turns green and he takes off (by himself lol) i just thought to myself...god i cant wait to get my turbo installed, im not going to be a big street racer, but when it comes to situations like last night, i would love to embarrass a couple people....

Go to transonic... as i told you before... Nobody in town knows more about working on boosted proteges than brandon thanks to my build up.

And he does a great job tuning vehicles, knows AEM, microtech, HKS, Greddy, and is a wizard with them all. He just finished pumping out a 500whp stroker WRX, and hes putting the finishing touches on a 750rwp MK3 supra that is unbeliveable!

and of course, there is my banana. :)

yea im going to goto transonic, but i think the locals and I are going to try the install ourselves, then off to transonic to get turned and double checkd, i talked to brandon about it already.

Back