engine rebuild

djdanny5000

Contributor
:
2007 Mazdaspeed 6 GT Retired: 2002 Protege 5
hey guys what exactly is in a full engine rebuild like how do you go about it my brother did one to his nissan 240 and i wanted to see if there was an engine rebuild kit for the fs-de and just curious as to what exactly is a rebuild. My cars been bogging down really bad lately and i want to rebuild it and possibly build it for a turbo set up.

1. Fix the bogging problem (the rebuild may not fix it and drive you nuts - Is it the rebuild? Is it the turbo? Is it the orginal problem?)

2. What is your total budget and plan for the car? Do you have enuff $$ for a turbo after you do short block (keep your head stock) rebuild?

3. Consider a MAMM sleeper kit or such and just don't boost enough to need better rods/bearings/etc...

you'll have to decide your ultimate route for the car....rebuilding the engine for stock or turbo purpose???? If you will DEFINATELY go turbo go with forged internals with 9.0 comp...that way it wont hurt the car n/a and you'll be built on the bottom end for the turbo install when you get to it...if you go lower than that (8.5) then youll feel like you've lost power n/a but will be able to run higher boost levels when you do go to the darkside...

edit: definately fix the bogging problem first

Jeremy

1st step I would say is compression test but most likely it is just a tune up injector cleaning. How do your plugs look? How many miles on the car?

shane02pro5 said:
1st step I would say is compression test but most likely it is just a tune up injector cleaning. How do your plugs look? How many miles on the car?
i have 73000 miles on the car right now and when i first got the car at 50000 miles i changed out the spark plugs ill have to take a look at them compression test sounds good need to found out where i can go to do that or how to go about doing that and injector cleaning anything you recomend other than seafoam in the gas tank

I usually do the Seafoam every other oil change or so in the tank and in the intake thru my BOV vac line. There is a how-to on this if your not sure. You can pick up a compression tester at any auto parts for $20. It is very simple to use, I'm sure there is a how-to on this also. Simply unplug your coilpacks, pull out your plugs and thread the gauge in one at a time crank for a few seconds and check the pressure. After I do all 4 I go back and add a teaspoon of oil to each cylinder and check them again. This checks for bad rings and blowby problems.

sounds good thanks for the help looks im going to autozone to buy some oil and a compression tester.

Back