Catalytic Converter

jgrinds27

:
2003 Protege5
Ok, so i have a question and I haven't found what I was looking for, so maybe you guys can help. I just replaced my 02 sensor and my CEL came back on (pissed) so I went and had it checked and it turns out its my catalytic converter. My question is, is it really necesarry to get a new one now, or just wait until I get the money to get a new exhaust and change it all then with a high flow cat or something else like that. I am just getting tired of looking at the CEL. I was just wondering if it would affect the car if I drive it until I can change the exhaust and everything else under there.

Well if the cat is clogged then you really should get a new one or take it off and gut it. A clogged cat can cause all sorts of problems and even mess up you engine. I say if youre going to get a new exhaust system just gut it. It it's not hard and only takes about 1 hr. This should save you a ton of money.

SuperProtege5 said:
anyone know if you can do this in texas?
Yes I do know, I use to be a state inspector. And NO you can not take off a cat. If it came with 2 it has to have 2. If the car is 3 yrs old or newer they only hook up the computer. If you are not throughing and CELs then you will pass. Anything over 3 yrs old they also do the sniffer test. This is were they might get you if you only have one cat. If you run rich, like we do. Now if your car is running good and you just gutted the cat no one would know and you would pass. But this too is against the law. But it's only illegal if you get caught.(glare)

By the way, I run with my pre cat gutted and everything is a ok.

By federal law, there's an 80,000 mile, 96 month warranty on all emissions-related parts. If you can convince your dealer that the cat is bad, they have to replace it to keep your car in compliance. I think the cat on my P5 is going bad (when you knock on it, it sounds like a bowl of cereal), and I'm gearing up for a battle with my stealership.

Back