Tire pull

pasadena_commut said:
Any of you who have experienced tire pull on your P5 please have a gander here and chime in (in that thread) if you have anything to add

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123651118

Thanks.

My car pulls to the right when i have on my toyos which are all seasons (proxes tpt) in the stock size. car never did this with the stock tires. Had these tires since nov last year(the car had taken a hit to the front end last sept 05 but was assured no frame or steering damage). i have found that when i put on my goodyears with the larger wheels the car does not pull as much. I was told that my pull is from the tires...radial pull. it seems too extreme to me though. I might put back on my goodyears just to see how much of a difference it really is.

NJP5Guy said:
My car pulls to the right when i have on my toyos which are all seasons (proxes tpt) in the stock size. car never did this with the stock tires. Had these tires since nov last year(the car had taken a hit to the front end last sept 05 but was assured no frame or steering damage). i have found that when i put on my goodyears with the larger wheels the car does not pull as much. I was told that my pull is from the tires...radial pull. it seems too extreme to me though. I might put back on my goodyears just to see how much of a difference it really is.

Yeah, don't believe the bodyshop. They are always full of s*** and do the job as cheap as possible.

It's very easy to tell if it's the tires. Rotate them. If you can side to side.

Mike R said:
Yeah, don't believe the bodyshop. They are always full of s*** and do the job as cheap as possible.

It's very easy to tell if it's the tires. Rotate them. If you can side to side.

my toyos are directional so i can't rotate side to side. Though when i do have the good years on there is a significant reduction in pull from what i remember. The thing is when i got the car back from the shop when it still had the dunlops i didn't notice any pull. I have let the wheel go with the good years and it tracks prety damn straight but with the toyos it veers almost immediatly....hmm. looks like i may need to to more wheel swapping soon.

NJP5Guy said:
my toyos are directional so i can't rotate side to side.

Yes you can, for testing purposes, just don't leave them on that way for very long. Driving 5 miles on them in the wrong orientation isn't going to damage the tires. Think about it: if they were so touchy that they couldn't rotate for 5 miles in the wrong direction then backing up would eventually destroy them!

pasadena_commut said:
Yes you can, for testing purposes, just don't leave them on that way for very long. Driving 5 miles on them in the wrong orientation isn't going to damage the tires. Think about it: if they were so touchy that they couldn't rotate for 5 miles in the wrong direction then backing up would eventually destroy them!

exactly how fast do you back up (boom07)

switched my wheels and tires today. the car does track much more straight than before. there is still a little bit of pull to the right. guess i will have to have it realigned at work.

NJP5Guy said:
switched my wheels and tires today. the car does track much more straight than before. there is still a little bit of pull to the right. guess i will have to have it realigned at work.

Some tire shops have a device called a "Hunter GSP9700 with StraightTrak LFM". This is an ultracool tire balancer that is also the only one that I know of that can directly measure lateral force on the loaded tire, ie it measures tire pull with the wheel off of the car. You don't have to worry about alignment since the tire isn't even on the car's suspension when this is measured.

http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/balancer/4159T/index.htm

I'm tempted to run my problem tire on one of these just to see how many pounds of pull it is generating. That might be useful ammunition when I go in to argue with the guys who sold the tire. Naturally they don't have one but there's another shop nearby that does. If it's less than $30 or so it's probably worth it in terms of aggravation saved. If you do all 4 tires they can calculate the placement of the tires to minimize pull. Downside - you can't rotate the tires or the pull will return.

Back