Dang! My two cents / feelings CX-7...

lormad

I am in the market for a sporty SUV, for my wife...

I am kind of mystified, at the pricing of a fully loaded CX-7. Given, it's a mazda (not an "Amati" or whatever Mazda's flagship division was supposed to be), this thing is retailing well over $40K up here in Canada. It's a MAZDA for crying out loud, not a Lexus / Infiniti. Honda's new CR-V with Navi, is in the same boat ($37K!!!), and it doesn't have anywhere near the CX-7 interior quality, fit, and style. And the engine? Hands down to the CX-7, no doubt about it.

What really irk's me, are the following, and probably why I won't purchase one.

1. There is absolutely no excuse why the NAVI equipped (fully loaded version) does not have Bluetooth capability. What the heck, they couldn't squeeze another $300 into the price??? Come On, you can't be serious, 40+K and no factory bluetooth???

2. How is it, that a fully loaded CX-7 has ONE factory installed electric seat (driver only). What in the world were the designers / engineers thinking. It's insane. Not only that, how is it, that after designing and building the seat with electric option nobody applied a little bit of fuzzy logic and incorporated memory settings. Geeze, spending 99cents, and skimping out on a penny and coming up with a half @ssed electric seat just doesn't add up in the overall cost of things.

3. Can they make the Mazda front fascia logo Any BIGGER? Damn, I'm sure they wanted the world to know that not only did Mazda miss the boat (IMHO) on a catchy and "cool" looking Company Logo (It's right up there with Hyundia and Kia's of this world, at the bottom of the pool) but they wanted to remind you, everyday as you walk towards your CX-7, that for 40+K your driving a MAZDA. Best Japanese company logo, ACURA.

4. Damn, the rear door panels are plain and bland. Like, no effort at all was taken. Whatever happened to, attention to detail. How difficult could it have been to adapt the same theme from the front door panels to the rear door panels. It could be forgiven, if the rest of the interior was given the same bland look, but it's simply not the case. The rear door panels really look out of place with the rest of the interior.

5. How the heck, did they forget to add memmory settings capabilities. Steering and Seats. It's not like they didn't have the remote keyless and fuzzy logic designed and paid for, it COMES with it. They built ONE power seat, so they designed and paid for that as well. Wake up Mazda guys, you were 90% of the way there. No excuse for missing that capability. It just further reinforces the fact this vehicle is over priced and out of it's league.

5. Price. It's a Mazda. Tax in, a fully loaded CX-7 will run $46,520.09 Canadian. WTF? OK, cars have increased over time and new markets have been created (crossover CX-7), but this is a MAZDA. Given what you get for the money, and what it will be worth over time, and how it will be reliable over time, there are alot of more prestigious competitors in the marketplace. ACURA RDX comes to mind. Honda CR-V can be had for $4,500cdn less (yes, it lacks the performance, interior style, and some substance, but in the long run will be worth alot more in resale (hey, reputations are built over time and cannot be earned any other way) value, will cost less to operate over time, you know you'll never make a mistake buying a HONDA, and has better fuel economy hands down.

I'm going to test drive one anyway. It probably won't change my mind, because there are too many shortcomings for me, given what's expected from Mazda.

In fact, if nothing else inspires me (no, money isn't my primary decision, value is) I have no reservations about spending more (ACURA RDX, Lexus RX300/330) for another brand/model or decide on spending less on something else (i.e. CR-V/ RAV-4). Or in fact, I may just wait and let the dealers/mazda rot with there inventory of CX-7's and have them offer 3-4,5K cash back incentives in about 6 months or so.

Bottom line, Mazda has priced there CX-7 that much of the criticism is warranted. Had Mazda aligned there asking price more in tune with there Company Image, then one could close an eye or two on shortcomings.

Thanks,

LormaD

Hmmmm...looks like you put some thought into this post. A few things stand out to me in it...you have issues with some electronic capabilities, styling and costs. If you have never owned a Mazda, then you wont understand the value. Oh...then there is the engine/drivetrain/performance....I say come down south a ways and buy one in the US, and quit ur bitchin!

no bitchfest... just my viewpoints.

I'm not looking to turn this post into a "bitchfest", us vs them, Canada vs USA etc. If you choose to express your feelings, I can understand if some might take their purchase/choice of vehicles personally. I'm quiet proud of the vehicles I've owned in the past as well. BUT, I'm not attacking anyone personally, so please don't take it that way.

Yes, I've owned a Mazda before. 929. Boy, it was a letdown in many ways despite it's handsome looks, excellent price/value. It was designed with more style than substance, very Jaguar like in it's finickyness. WORST modern day ventilation system EVER designed in the last 20 years. BEST geewhiz gadget (solar powered in cabin venting system). Terrible maintenance component costs (i.e. front struts, exhaust etc.) and resale value.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Mazda. They hit a home run with the first ever rotary powered sports car. The previous variation of the RX8 (the RX7) was stellar in every way. And yes, the CX-7 has peaked my interest because of it's power train and interior / exterior style.

I'm more critical of a particular model (regardless of brand) when the price falls in a higher bracket, than vehicles that cost considerably less. It's only natural, since a significantly more expensive vehicle needs to meet or exceed one's expectation. After all, Mazda is asking car buyers to shell out close to 50k.

Cheers,

LormaD

3,5K less

If the CX-7 came as is, fully loaded, then I would be willing to shell out 37,5K tops (before taxes, 6% and 7.5%) and not give a second thought shelling out 10K and more, for the alternatives in the marketplace.

a) Lexus RX330 (damn, it's one UNinspiring design, inside and out). Boring as hell, dull to drive, far from ugly inside and out, but far from CX-7's handsome looks (less that damn mazda front logo), but bullet proof reliability and jaw dropping resale value.

b) RDX kinda slightly missed the mark on exterior style (for my tastes) not ugly, just not THAT good looking for the money. Better attention to detail for the interior than the CX-7 with nicer choice of materials for the leather. CX-7 drivers cockpit is much more appealing to me, but the RDX has the Navi and bluetooth. No value here, in terms of what you pay for either. As nice powertrain and AWD system. So far, only CrossOver SUV with all the options I'm looking for.

c) Honda CR-V. It's a Honda, you can forgive them for short comings, because in the end, will always deliver and satisfy in the end with unmatched reliability and resale value. Very late 80's cheapness to the interior carpeting. Still feels like a HONDA (aka, cheap plastic) on the inside. Very nice looking exterior, very bland and uninspiring interior (must of been some new EX-LEXUS interior designers that have been hired to work on the CR-V). Model has just come out, and buyers are already eager to hand over fists full of money to dealers to get one. Once again, no damn bluetooth for Navi optioned CR-V's. CR-V and CX-7 both guilty for not offering Sable / Beige Interior colour with Black Exterior Colour. Oh, did I mention, that CR-V (like most Honda's) are over priced.

d) I'd consider a Toyota Rav4, and will do so next week. I've had no time to look into it. Model seems to have been around forever. Exterior looks do nothing for me (aka, not very inspiring). Also, you know your going to have to PAY for that Toyota reliability. Another downfall, out here, Toyota's have take the Saturn route (last 5 years or so), hence prices are not negotiable and dealers have to respect the retail prices. I will stop by dealer and consider one.

Cheers,

LormaD

The biggest problem I have with your post is the its only a Mazda thing that you mention numerous times. Mazda is going upscale. In a few years time Mazda will be considered more upscale like Acura and will be above Honda and Toyota.

The technology in the CX-7 is well above the CR-V and RAV4 for only a few thousand more. And equal to the RDX for $5k less. The RX330 starts at $52K and runs about $58K for the features you want, thats a far cry from the $43K for the top CX-7.

If you look through the top Import line-up Nothing by Honda, Toyota, Nissan has a power pssengers seat or memory seat for under $40k. You have to go over the $40k mark to get those extras. Without Nav the CX-7 is right at $40K. I would like the memory seat too, but nothing in the CUV/SUV class has these at the $40K mark in Canada.

The upcoming CX-9 will have all the features you are asking for, but you will pay for them.

Some people need to get over this "its only a Mazda" attitude. You seem to think it should be cheaper or have more features than Honda/Toyota to be equal why is that? Mazda is world leader in there suspension and braking systems. The fit and finish is a step above similar priced Honda/Toyota products. In 2005 Consumer reports declared the Mazda product line "most consistently reliable". In the last 5 years Mazda has caught and passed Honda/Toyota is their designs. They won't surpass them in sales because they are going upscale with their vehicles, but they will destroy Acura in sales. The fact is the CX-7 has NO competiton at $40k Canadian. If you want to spend $15k more on the Lexus you will get more features and the next level of interior quality, but the driving dynamics still won't match the CX-7. The CX-9 will match and beat the Lexus in every way for about $5k less.

I understand why it takes longer for some people to accept the changing of the guard, but it is coming none the less.

sorry, but

Repution, reliability, and durability is earned over time. No offense, but I don't agree Mazda3 with your assessment.

Mazda could never pull off the Toyota -> Lexus, and Honda ->Acura, transition in the marketplace. Your certainly not going to expect that if you plan on ditching your current or past customers, while you outprice your current Mazda product line to attempt to compete with the likes of Acura, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus.

Anyways, for what it worth.

The CX-7 is very stylish, inside and out (IMHO, the front oversized Mazda Badge has to be resized in accordance with the front proportions), and has an engine that is almost as smooth as the RDX's, has a wonderfull drivetrain, and a nice transmission (maybe, if it was a CVT, then for there asking price it might be worth it). The choice of materials inside the cabin are very appealing, and the seats are comfortable up front.

Yes, it's alot less expensive than an X3, RX330, and an RDX. Is it as good as one? Will it look and drive as well as it does now in 3-5 years? Will it have good resale value?

My issue was more with some shortcomings and expectation with respect to the asking price. Do I feel they could of addressed some of my needs and wants given what they are asking (dollar wise), you betchya.

Hopefully, time will address the shortcomings in one of two ways. Present stock continues to sell very slowly, or future models for the coming years catch up to alot of features that will be standard equipment down the road.

Cheers,

LormaD

Your Dancing around the point. Mazda is already as reliable as Honda/Toyota it has been for years. Mazda was rated most consistently reliable by consumer reports, not Honda or Toyota. The competiton for the CX-7 doesn't have the features you want either, so the point is mute. Mazda is and will advance into the next class without leaving the current customers behind. They will still have the Mazda3, 6, and Tribute in the cheaper price range. The features you want will cost more money. You say you can afford to and are willing to spend more, that's great, but how does it make the CX-7 over priced? The CR-V is disgustingly overpriced for how little you get.

Mazda won't be directly competing with Mercedes, BMW, and Audi those are elite automakers. They will compare more with Acura who are in between mainstream and elite. Compare a Civic/Corolla to a Mazda 3 lately? There is no comparison, the Mazda 3 destroy them in everyway. The new Mazda 6 will do the same to the Accord/Camry, it will be very upscale compared to the current 6. More like a TL type car for the Accord price.

Anyway I got football and Hockey to watch.

lormad, how can you continue to say that the CX7 is leaps above CRV and RAV4 in terms of performance/comfort/appearance and less refined and have a lower resale value than a BMW, Lexus, or Acura?

All you are doing is proving the opposite viewpoint that the CX7 should be priced above and below the mentioned cars-EXACTLY as it is. It's obviously priced correctly.

1. If you don't like the car, don't buy it.
2. If you want Bluetooth, buy a headset.
3. If you're worried about resale so much, lease it.

wait, so you're telling me that the NEW hondas don't have huge oversized "H" badges, and they can be forgiven for the lack of features or quality because it's "only a honda, not an acura" but you're going to nitpick a mazda instead? last time I checked, mazda does NOT have a luxury/upscale brand like honda, hence why it is STILL CHEAPER than an acura but still have many luxurious features... you're trying to compare apples to oranges... mazda does NOT directly compete with acura/lexus/infiniti, mazda competes directly with honda, toyota, nissan, and mitsubishi as well as other "mere mortal" brands

the fact that new mazdas have all the features that many other cars have for thousands more is a blessing... but you can't have everything, if you want all the little details like "memory settings" and blue tooth, then go buy the more expensive brands out there... for many, they can just do without them just like people who drive HONDAS and TOYOTAS can do without them... those same people who want them can buy an acura or lexus... there's a reason why luxury brands/cars exist

you're jumping the gun on resell values on mazdas... mazda is NOT the same as they were 5 years ago, they've turned the company around and are designing/marketing their vehicles under a whole new philosophy/strategy... while what you said is true for the pre-2003 mazdas, it doesn't necessarily hold true on the newer mazdas... only time will tell on how well their resell values go on the CX-7... to counter your ignorant, honda biased opinion about residual values, Automotive Lease Guide the Mazda3's 36-month residual value is as good as the Honda Civic's as of July 06; both at a good 53%... but the difference is, the 3 is a new vehicle, it went from 40% in January 04 and risen to current values while the Civic has only been holding steady this whole time... only the Accord has the Mazda6 slightly beat, but only at 49% (and slowly rising) for the Accord as of July 06 while the Mazda6 has held steady at 46% throughout the years... the story is not much different with Toyotas, the Corolla had a slow climb and only matches the Mazda3 and Civic as of July 06, but at current rates, the Mazda3 will surpass either of those cars in residual value... only the Camry has Honda and Mazda beat as far as residual values as it is on a steady climb at 53% as of July 06.... let's not talk about Nissan as their residuals are embarrassing... the Sentra is on a slump, down to 50% since January 04 when it was at 53% and the Altima is on a lackluster 43% on a very slow climb.... the ALG figures are for the US market, and although the Canadian car market is very different from the US, one thing is for certain, Mazdas are hot sellers in Canada... the Mazda3 is the 2nd best selling compact in Canada last time I checked, so you can't say outright that their resell value is crap when Mazdas don't have as great of sales volume per capita in the US but still hold surprisingly good residual values

even though the CX-7 has many short comings, such as an interior that may not be as nice as it should, you can't complain about that when the vehicle is selling at the price it's at with all sorts of features compared to other brands! going by how well they are selling, their dollar per feature ratio, and how good the other new mazdas' residual values are, I'm going to have to say the CX-7 will have good residual values also in the coming years

so, if you don't like how it doesn't have the extra useless toys (gadgetry that will eventually break in ANY brand of vehicle, given time.... and replacement/repairs of course are insanely expensive) in the CX-7, then don't buy it... go buy a honda with less features but with also an oversized badge since they have "better resell value" and can be "forgiven" for the lack of quality or features

Last edited:
lormad said:
I am in the market for a sporty SUV, for my wife...

I am kind of mystified, at the pricing of a fully loaded CX-7. Bla Bla Bla

Thanks,

LormaD

Sounds like you should just go buy a Porsche SUV and stop posting here..

Well said "The Man".

To further your point Lormad is from Canada where Mazda is a much bigger name then in the US. The Protege and Mazda 3 have the highest resale and lease residuals of any car in Canada. The 3 is the number two selling car in the country and the only reason it isn't number one is because Mazda won't supply Canada with any more 3's. The brand as a whole has resale that compete's with Honda/Toyota across the board (except maybe the Tribute). Reliability easily matches Honda/Toyota and their vehicles drive better. I would argue that this isn't just since 2003 as well. The Protege and MPV have been tops in reliability for 15 years.

Who the hell bases their vehicle purchase on whether it has bluetooth anyway?:rolleyes:

I based the CX-7 for what it is. It's overpriced. It has alot of performance going for it, as well as style. It's a MAZDA, they are retailing for close to 50K. And yes, you gotta admit they missed the boat on some details that could of easily been included for their asking price.

I wouldn't drop a 100k on a SUV, I don't care who makes it.

I know I am on a Mazda forum. I was searching to see, if there was any mod's available to address some major shortcomings.

Cheers,

LormaD

it's a CHEVY and it's retailing for close to 50K

it's a FORD and it's retailing for close to 50K

it's ANYTHING and it's retailing for close to 50K

are you living in the current century? if you don't want to pay that much for any car then buy a used Geo Metro and get on with it. But your overpriced argument just isn't cutting it.

If you want mods, then paint the emblem on the front body-color, buy a headset and use your hands to adjust the passenger seat that probably never really needs to be adjusted anyway.

lormad said:
I based the CX-7 for what it is. It's overpriced. It has alot of performance going for it, as well as style. It's a MAZDA, they are retailing for close to 50K.
LormaD

Again no facts to back up your statement. The most expensive CX-7 lists at $43k including freight, PDI and all dealer fees. $50k is another gross exageration. The CX-7 is not over priced and you have nothing to back up anything you said.

Have a nice day.

lormad seriously.. what the heck did you expect? you come on a mazda forum and bash the CX-7, saying that it is overpriced and only justifying that by saying "it's a MAZDA". Yeah, and? That's WHY I bought my car.. I bought it because it was a Mazda, and Mazda makes some incredibly fun to drive cars that are reliable and economical.

Get your damn Honda and go away. Have fun with that BORINGmobile.

Back