Planning for the better

SeR_Cyclops

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
im really green when it comes to modding your car. and if i was to do it i would be likley to do it wrong since i have hardly and knowledge about this. i was wondering can peeps give me like order to mod and i want to mod with out blowing my motor or breaking my lsd. any help would be greatly apperciated.

to be the safest to and to make sure to get the most out of your performance mods would be to get mods that help you manage and monitor your car and mods. So IMO I would have to say that EMS and gauges would be best first mods. Yes, it might cost you more money in the long run to tune your car each time u get a new mod on it but then its going to keep you from blowing your engine up.

definetly do your, ems, tbe, intake, fmic (or upgraded side mount) and with the ems keep boost low maybe 8psi.

well, the unichip seems to be pretty damn good for everyone from stock to nicely modified with the stock tune that comes on it... i know its just a piggyback, but i kinda like it. and i know u cant tune it urself really, but u can now tune A/F with the new PDA deal... so that pretty good... the boost controller does go out, but u can turn it off if it goes out untill u get a PRofec B Spec II in. my #1 mod would be CAI, then FMIC, then 3" turbo-back, then EMS + somethin to up the boost (like unichip which of course includes the EBC)

or if i could only pick ONE i would go with the unichip...

503MSP said:
to be the safest to and to make sure to get the most out of your performance mods would be to get mods that help you manage and monitor your car and mods. So IMO I would have to say that EMS and gauges would be best first mods. Yes, it might cost you more money in the long run to tune your car each time u get a new mod on it but then its going to keep you from blowing your engine up.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about the mods breaking the LSD. When it decides to go, it will go, and many have. Mine went on a stock vehicle that I drove pretty damn easy. Now, if you are under warranty, I would hold off on the mods until 50,001 miles. If you are past that, then go for it. You are doing the right thing by approaching this concept with some patience and a desire to not break anything.

All the info in the thread is valid but i believe the point not quite made yet is you better be able to pay to play cuz modding isn't cheap and blowing a motor due to improper modding is MORE expensive

well you guys are helping me better understand this i was wondering are ems the tunable ones are they hard to learn to know what you are halfway doing where you can tune your own car b/c if this is the case i dont want to mess up my ems and have to haul it somewhere to get it back running? if this is the case i like the uni chip concept.

get a dsm afc. the supermap that comes on it is perfect for any mods you may put on the car and runs a good afr up to 12psi. so basically you dont need anything more unless you plan on building the motor.

i have a Split Second (DSM) AFC and a Turbo XS HP MBC you could pick up from me if u wanted. BUT, it is definitely not plug and play. and the unichip comes with an EBC and right out of the box is set at about 11-13psi. i was more impressed with the unichip vs. the Split Second AFC. BUT, the unichip is expensive and the Split Second AFC is very easy to tune yourself... So, i dont know... it`s hard to say. Split Second AFC = no control over timing, BUT unichip = no control over timing unless u go to an authorized tuner also, so... ???

SeR_Cyclops said:
where can you get these are they plug and play like the uni chip tell me about them.....

True the unichip is nice due to plug n play but 11-13psi is 2 high for a stock block if u ask me no matter what. There has been quite a few blown motor threads due to running the uc without tuning for mods. The unichip and a tune are nearly $1000 thats crazy just buy a damn standalone. The afc is easy as hell 2 install and holds a perfect tune up 2 12psi no matter what mods u have. Sooo the afc n a good mbc for $350 or the uc n a tune for $1000 for the exact same thing. Which would u choose?

yea the afc is fun for what it is but not being able to control the timing kinda sucks. However, the afc is so much better than the stock ecu crappy tuning! So, if you want to raise the boost do it with some sort of piggyback, don't depend on the stock tuning imo.

protegeric said:
and NO fuel cut defensers! (FCD)

ive been reading about those the last couple of weeks. and everyone doesnt like em well what is the best way to keep the mass air flow from maxing out do they sell bigger ones or what?

SeR_Cyclops said:
ive been reading about those the last couple of weeks. and everyone doesnt like em well what is the best way to keep the mass air flow from maxing out do they sell bigger ones or what?
yea id deff. Stay away from fcd unless ur forged. I had one n started detonating 3days after i put it on. To avoid fuel cut u'll need larger or extra injectors and ems 2 tune 4 it. With the afc max boost i can run is 11psi in 50deg weather on the stock fuel sys.

SeR_Cyclops said:
so just bigger injecters and fuel pump would fix fuel cut... well where the sensor maxes out?
yea but the stock ecu cant control larger injectors. U need user programable ems. All of them can do it even the unichip.

lol so new ecu fuel pump and injectors.... that would fix it so that is about 1200 dollars worth of stuff isnt it where should i begin looking for ecu... and i think i want cut outs what do i need to run them? i hear people up grade their pipe to 2.5 correct? and do they go before the first cat after inbetween the cats?

Back