Gas Cards / Rewards Cards: What are the best ones out there?

chuyler1

goes to eleven
:
2013 CX-9
First off, you are crazy stupid not to pay for gas without using a card. People like to equate credit cards with debt but when used properly they are the exact opposite.

Right now I use my AMEX Gold Card to buy gas. It gives me 2% back in the form of double points. However, I have noticed that there are much better options out there now and I am curious as to what others are using.

First off, let me explain my situation. I drive about 25,000 miles a year in my Protege5 and get roughly 29mpg. I'll assume for the moment that gas prices are averaging $2.40/ gallon over the course of the year. This summer we were up to $3.00 in my area but they have dropped to $2.00 recently. So my annual gas cost is 25,000mi / 29mpg * $2.40 = $2070.

Right now I get $41/yr from my 2% rewards.

Here are some of the deals I found online.

Discover Gas Card:
The Hype: Claims 5% back on gas and up to 1% back on other purchases. You can also get double rewards by purchasing gift cards for their partners.
The Verdict: You only get 5% back on the first $1200 (equal to $60). The next $300 you get 0.25% (equal to 75 cents) and then you get 0.50% for the next $1500 (still chump change). However, that $60 doubles to $120 when you purchase a gift card so this card could be considered 10% back on your first $1200 in gas. Not bad...but we can do better...

Citi Driver's Edge:
The Hype: 6% rebates on gas and auto maintenence for the first year and 3% after that. Rebates on mileage and othe purchases.
The Verdict: Rebates can only be used towards the purchase of a new or used car or maintenence. Your rebates max out at $1000 per year and expire after 5 years. I would get $124 back the first year on just gas and $62 back after that. I would also get $250 for driving 25K each year which makes this card a great deal as long as I plan to buy a car in the next 5 years or I require expensive maintenence to my existing car. I'm still trying to figure out if there is a catch on this card...but AFAIK it's all good.

So what else is out there?

I got an Aeroplan card, I know its not available in the US, but there must be many cards out there that let you accumulate miles towards plane tickets and vacations. The one I got gives you 10,000 miles to start and 1mile for every $1, now I use it to pay for everything, groceries, gas, cell phone bill, tv, internet bills, etc, eating out, etc etc, Unless its a small $5 item it goes on the VISA card, just pay the bill every month and you accumulate no interest. The downside is that you have to constantly keep track of what you buy to make sure you pay if off.

Ok, but how many miles equals a plane ticket to a place you want to go? Usually the exchange rate on those type of cards is only 1-2%. So I'm looking for something a little better than that.

I have a Sunoco Master Card.

5% back on gas and up to 1% back on other purchases. Thats it. Plain and simple.

No Sunocos near me but 5% with no strings is pretty decent. Not as good as getting reimbursed for the miles you drive..but still decent.

Back