!!!help!!! Oil Light

JOMO

:
2003 mp5:( 1993 Miata
Long read, but please help me out.

Alright, heres what is going on. Earlier this evening I was leaving a local track and on my way home before I hit the highway, when I slowed down for a light my oil light came on. Now, Immediatly I pulled over and checked teh oil and its full, since I just did a oil change yesterday. I start the car again and the light is gone, When driving normal the light stays off, but when coming to a stop, when the rpm's are at idle, the light will flicker on and off. From 1100 and lower in the rmp's the light will come on.

Now, I had to make it back to my friends house So I drove home with caution. While on the drive back the light would not come on at any other rpm other then when at idle. It would be on when sitting at a light, but when I start driving, right after 1100rpms the light would turn off.

We turn the car off, let it sit for about 20min. Restart the car, its fine. No light at all. But now we discovered that when you slightly, and I mean slightly put your foot on the clutch the light would come on. When you let off, the light would turn off. When we turned on the headlights, the oil light would come on. And the oil light would turn off when the lights were turning. Now I noticed the light wasn't on at idle anymore when the car is just sitting in my buddie's driveway. But when I get going on the road, the first time I downshift and come to a stop, the light would come back on, and stay on when at idle until after 1100 rpms continuing driving.

Now, it seems it would be an electrical problem with the oil light turning on when touching the clutch and turning on the headlights. But, whats the deal when at idle? Bad fuel pump(just installed a new walbro 1 month ago). Oil pressure too low at idle with no load? I need some help guys, this cars really taking a toll on me with problems.

My guess is an electrical problem. But to determine what it is, I'd reccomend buying an oil pressure gauge so you can see what your actual pressure is and diagnose things.

I heard speedcircuit.net has some gauges. :p

That's where I would start.

Thanks DINO. Yeah, thats what everyone I have talked to said to do. Get the guage and see what the pressure is at at idle. I know you carry them, but IM going somewere local and picking one up. I need it quick.

But would the light just be coming 'on' at idle because the engine is turning slowly as is the oil pump so the pressure is low enough to cause the warning light to come on? I know this can occur when switching to lighter oils, but I just switched from 10w 30 to 15w 50. Im lost.

sandspeed said:
"haaah" - team america

haha, thanks for the laugh sander, but Im worried once again with this damn car. Oh, and moroso sucked, raine'd on and off. Boo

Alright, here's what I got so far.

1.Oil pressure sending unit
2.Fuel pump going bad
3.Electrical-Bad ground/etc...

Any other input would help.

Alright, so what size is needed for the fitting for the oil pressure guage. I know I need to t if off. But what size, 1/8, brass?

Clay (t3ase) had this problem and he found out his oil pump had failed him. engine died not long after.

Captain KRM P5 said:
Clay (t3ase) had this problem and he found out his oil pump had failed him. engine died not long after.

That is not good news. I was planning just to drive it tomorrow to get to school. But now, Im not.

Here's a vid I just took real quick to show you guys. Oh, and How much is a new oil pump?

Park it. It looks like you have a dying oil pump. (Even if it turns out that it isn't -- not worth risking it.)

If it was me...I'd be taking the bus tomorrow.

Moeed said:
Oil pump = lots of motor work.

as in right now something could be damaged. It started happening around 5:30pm. And I got home around 7pm. Only catching a few lights in which the light would come on at a stoplight. So dont even try to drive the car, even though it happens at idle only.

So what should be my steps in fixing this. Just get the guage, hook it up, see the pressure, if it drops at idle, then replace pump?

crankshaft thrust bearings maybe worn, causing oil pressure loss... check for crankshaft endplay by having someone push the clutch in and out while you watch the crank pulley, while the engine is off

oil may have thinned out due to extreme heat after racing, causing low oil pressure condition

if low oil pressure is still happening after letting the engine cool overnight, then it's either worn thrust/main/rod bearings or a bad oil pressure relief valve, or worn/damaged oil pump

Moeed said:
Oil pump = lots of motor work.

oil pump can be changed while engine is still in the car, but it does involve oil pan removal (including MBSP) and timing belt removal

IM sick of this car and going back to stock. I know its sudden, but Iv'e been considering it for a while. Im done with the p5.

JOMO said:
IM sick of this car and going back to stock. I know its sudden, but Iv'e been considering it for a while. Im done with the p5.

on to bigger and better things my friend. Sucks that the car won't work right, but life goes on "haaah" (ughdance)

Are you for real?! All that time, money and effort and your giving up becuase of a maybe oil pump? I havnt been able to get mine to run right either its back at TBK right now. Just hold tight dude or ill be the only built true red p5 left in S. Fla. I know its hard man ive sunk all this money into mine and i cant see past 12lbs for some reason but **** dude im not gonna give it away just yet...let me know how it goes. O and thanks for the MAF, turns out that wasnt it either...o well just another 80 bucks down the P5 drain.

Before I waste a lot of time in these situations, I ALWAYS, install a real pressure guage and check to verify what the oil pressure really is. Then I make my determination.

SHAGwagn said:
Are you for real?! All that time, money and effort and your giving up becuase of a maybe oil pump? I havnt been able to get mine to run right either its back at TBK right now. Just hold tight dude or ill be the only built true red p5 left in S. Fla. I know its hard man ive sunk all this money into mine and i cant see past 12lbs for some reason but **** dude im not gonna give it away just yet...let me know how it goes. O and thanks for the MAF, turns out that wasnt it either...o well just another 80 bucks down the P5 drain.

Your right, I thought it through over the past few days. Im not getting rid of it. In too deep. Im going to be selling my turbo kit very soon though. Staying N/A for a few months then going custom, like a real custom kit. My kit is fine. Its seen over 300whp on my car. Just I want something real different. Going with a much different setup. Cwill is going to be helping me fab up the kit.

Latest posts

Back