Best Ipod Adapter?

iniquitous said:
I just got back from having the official Mazda iPod adaptor Dealer installed in my Mazda5 and I am completely disgusted by it. I knew from reading online that "Track information, such as the artist or album name is not displayed on the audio system." What I didn't know is that the screen of the iPod is disabled, too. Basically, you are navigating blind. And while there are plenty of buttons on the head unit that go unused, they decided that the Next Disk and Previous Disk buttons needed to pull double-duty. Pressing Next Disk once goes to the next entry in the current navigation list. Pressing Next Disk twice too quickly (or holding it) changes the current browse mode. So, if you are in Artist Browse mode and you want to skip two artists ahead (assuming you have your artists memorized, since there is no display), you have to press Next...Wait...Next...Wait. If you press Next,Next you have actually entered Album Browse mode, which you are only notified by a number coming up 3 seconds later for less than one second. Almost unusable.

Also, my dealer asked me especially how it was working, since they have tried several times to install one, and this is only the second success they have had. Apparently it is incompatible with the navigation screen (which I don't have) (is their theory).

I get the same type installed on the 24th at the dealer along with the Mazdaspeed CAI. I don't have NAV either so it should be simliar, I'll let you know how it goes...

Like "iniquitous", I must also voice my extreme displeasure with the Mazda Ipod Adaptor unit. Sadly, when I bought my new Mazda 5 a couple of weeks ago, the sales people had no idea, really, how the thing worked. Regardless, I figured..."how bad can it be!...at least I'll be able to play my Ipod in my car instead of carrying around handfuls of CD's."
Boy, was I wrong!
I, too, just got back from the dealer where they finished installing it and...long story short...I'm arranging for them to remove it from my car now...and getting my money back! I cannot believe that, in this day and age, that someone would come up with such a poor user interface for a technical device such as this. Why couldn't they just install an auxiliary jack that we could plug our Ipods (or any OTHER mp3 device) into? Yes, it may not power our device, but I'd rather have seperate battery charger to the cigarette lighter than not be able to easily navigate to the song I want to play.
I realize they may have been trying to make us "safer" by allowing us not to distract ourselves by operating our Ipods while driving, but I think flipping through a printout of a Playlist with 6,000+ songs to find the number of the track I want MAY be a little distracting in a different way. Additionally, trying to scroll down to, say, song #2375 in my Playlist may take as much time as actually driving to my destination!
All I can say is..."What were they thinking!?!?!?!?"

Is there a Ipod adapter that charges, displays through the datacenter, and can be cotrolled by the stock radio and by the iPod itself?

I love my audiolink ipod adapter. I got a good deal on it (there's a discount code floating around here somewhere) and for what I needed it was fine. It allows you to change tracks and rewind/ff through the factory controls, however it does not display the names on the stock radio face.

Which is OK anyway - I have my iPhone mounted on the dash, and staring at the album cover/artist/track name is much better than trying to view it on the radio.

I also found a very cheap ($65) iPod adapter for Mazda on eBay. It connects through the CD changer port and allows using wheel buttons to change playlists and songs, as well as displays track time on the LCD dash.
Look for this item #: 180181504567
I haven't tried it myself, cause I don't have an iPod. I've ordered a Car2PC adapter instead, to integrate with the car PC that i'm going to make. Meanwhile I'm going to use its aux input to connect my MP3 player built into my phone.

AuxMod is a pretty good unit as well..Easy to install and good sound quality...

Mazda just released an ipod integration module that started shipping like a week and a half ago. Check with your dealer and see if they have it. 149 dollars retail price.

DO NOT GET THIS!!
I HATE IT!
you cannot control the music through the iPod, you have to use the radio buttons, like, seek, disc up and down, all that junk, so you have no idea what is coming up next

I just got back from having the official Mazda iPod adaptor Dealer installed in my Mazda5 and I am completely disgusted by it. I knew from reading online that "Track information, such as the artist or album name is not displayed on the audio system." What I didn't know is that the screen of the iPod is disabled, too. Basically, you are navigating blind. And while there are plenty of buttons on the head unit that go unused, they decided that the Next Disk and Previous Disk buttons needed to pull double-duty. Pressing Next Disk once goes to the next entry in the current navigation list. Pressing Next Disk twice too quickly (or holding it) changes the current browse mode. So, if you are in Artist Browse mode and you want to skip two artists ahead (assuming you have your artists memorized, since there is no display), you have to press Next...Wait...Next...Wait. If you press Next,Next you have actually entered Album Browse mode, which you are only notified by a number coming up 3 seconds later for less than one second. Almost unusable.

Also, my dealer asked me especially how it was working, since they have tried several times to install one, and this is only the second success they have had. Apparently it is incompatible with the navigation screen (which I don't have) (is their theory).

Mine is horrible, I hate it, it was a total waste of my money...

I rented an 08 mazda 3 while I was in colorado, and that had an auxillary jack, can you get that installed on a 6?

Back