gas keeps overflowing?

Yay, I got my baby back today! Faulkner removed the tank and found that the fuel line was disconnected above the tank (notcool) The service manager said "I didn't call Ladd Hanford so I'm not aware of what work they did, but I will say this is not a routine problem that we usually get." I've gotta agree.

They hooked it back up today and washed it to boot, nice little touch that they certainly didn't have to do since I'm just a bum using them for service since I had no other choice. I'll reluctantly have Ladd Hanford put on the backordered Charcoal Canister and Fill Tube as planned, but I'm gonna give them hell to make sure it's done RIGHT this time. Then after that I plan to take the rest of my service to Faulkner.

I'm just glad I have my 5 back in one piece... and that after this all my wife and I are in one piece! I just keep wondering what would've happened if the leaking gas would've spritzed on my hot rear brakes... eek.

Not cool at all. No matter how well they handle the situation from here on out, you should let Mazda North America know about their screw-up that could have cost you your lives.

mine does it also but it dont click till after i got gas down the side. and im tryin to get towls and water and shut the pump off
but it does it every time and i have tryed differnt pumps and gas stations and it does it at all of them so i know its not the pump so i am goin to call the dealer tomorrow to see if they will fix mine with out a strugle
will see what happens

Kansei said:
Not cool at all. No matter how well they handle the situation from here on out, you should let Mazda North America know about their screw-up that could have cost you your lives.
I plan to... after I have them take care of the 2 incoming parts.

Mine overflows too

wachamacallit said:
mine does it also but it dont click till after i got gas down the side. and im tryin to get towls and water and shut the pump off
but it does it every time and i have tryed differnt pumps and gas stations and it does it at all of them so i know its not the pump so i am goin to call the dealer tomorrow to see if they will fix mine with out a strugle
will see what happens

Any update on this? It happened too mine yesterday for the first time since I had the car (2007 GT) in September. Not too much but enough to make me worried about the paint work.

Yes, MORE INFO PLEASE!

Could we hear from more of you fellow owners if you have had any of this problem? And do keep us posted too. Jandree22, no update since the 20th...you've gassed up, yes? And???

I'll soon be putting in my first tankful, and from this thread I'm already wondering what kind of experiences I'm going to be having at the stations. (My habitual method of pumping gas, btw, is to manually hold the pump on and immediately stop at the first click.)

And here's something I want to know now more than ever: what is the best thing (liquid and/or cloth or?) to remove spilled gasoline off a fender?? :confused: I want to be armed with the right things before I head to the gas station!

Finally, jandree22, re the dealer & repair end of your posts: I am really big on customer loyalty, too, and things like conscientious behavior on both sides of a transaction (I don't understand, e.g., how someone can make what I consider a major appt, like with a doctor or the car to the shop, and not show up and not even bother to let them know -- but anyway....) At the same time, you bought your car for whatever reasons at a dealer who isn't the closest one to you. So did I! I had to buy mine 250 miles away, so clearly I won't be using my seller. If a dealer swap had been possible, the only 2 dealers in my area are about 15 & 45 miles away; and I had chosen the further one to work with. But they readily understood how out-of-the-way each trip to them would be and had no bad feelings at all about my plan to use the closest dealer for service and repairs. For any of us, an extra 45 miles ea way adds up to a lot of wasted miles & gas (time too), which is exactly what more people need to do less of.

Now if one finds a marked difference in the quality of repairs/service between dealers, then that greater distance becomes more of a necessity. Luckily for you this doesn't seem to be the case; and of course for me I'm hoping that my closest dealer does great work. I am keeping an open mind that I can feel comfortable/confident in the parts, service and mechanic employees even if the sales department may have turned me off. I do believe that extending good will and optimism from my end can help bring about a positive outcome -- so far it's resulted in me getting to buy the very 5 that I hoped for!

I'm so glad you & family are ok! Anything with fire potential is especially scary, so again, please post feedback and updates, folks! --And I also vote for corporate being notified, etc.!

Thanks.

You shouldn’t have a problem with your gas tank. My situation seems to be very isolated with the exception of one or two others here. When I was in at Ladd Hanford, they put a temporary fix on some valve that was sticking until the backordered parts come in. Since that fix, I have not had another overflow. However, I’ve only filled it up maybe twice in that entire time period because A) it was in the shop, B) we were just on a short vacation and took my wife’s car and C) we haven’t been doing too much driving other than back and forth to work. So the jury is still out, no it hasn’t overflowed, but I’ve only tried it about twice.

I haven’t heard from Ladd Hanford about the backordered part status, and it’s been a while, so I might give them a call next week or so. In the meantime my CEL light is on constantly since the faulty (temporary fixed) charcoal canister is tripping it.

....still waiting for the parts. (sleep)

Called Ladd Hanford, still on backorder after nearly 8 weeks. No status update in their computers either. Sheesh... I'm just sick of the nagging orange CEL.

jandree22 said:
....still waiting for the parts. (sleep)

Called Ladd Hanford, still on backorder after nearly 8 weeks. No status update in their computers either. Sheesh... I'm just sick of the nagging orange CEL.

Jandree,
I agree that the CEL makes one feel like sh*& driving down the road. One sollution is to get an engine code checker and "clear" the code. Everyone will tell you to never do this, but, if the dealer already has acknowledged the problem, then you are free to clear the code. If something truly serious occurs, the CEL light will come back on, and if it is really, really, really, bad, it will flash at you like a little engine law enforcement vehicle telling you to pull over now. I did this when I went on my trip over your way a while back and it was nice not to have that little glow facing me every time I turned the 5 on. Just my 2 cents.
Opus

Hey, I just realized I never updated this thread, but the parts came in for the charcoal canister and fill tube replacement, they were replaced, no more CEL, no more overflow. As I've previously mentioned, I believe the central issue was some stuck valve on the charcoal canister.

Last edited:
jandree22 said:
Took my car in for service as planned. The tech called me today and said he called Mazda about the issue. They're attributing it to a charcoal canister with fluid trapped in it... whatever the hell that means! haha... They're keeping it overnight, the new charcoal canister is coming in tomorrow. We shall see. Even if this doesn't fix the problem, I'm glad they're at least trying.

I have a saturated charcoal canister on my MSP HOWEVER it never overflows. In my case it causes the pump to shut off prematurely (yes the car is off)... say Im on E and I start to pump... a gallon or two later it will auto-shutoff of me and Ill have to restart the process, and Ive pulled out the nozzle and seen gas almost at the brim (until it trickles back in) Just never had it overflow on me :p guess Im teh lucky one. so I actually took mine off and found about 2 quarts of gas in it... Needless to say I was suprised.

Sounds very possible that youve found the culprit... hopefully when it comes back itll be all fixed!

biggest reason they become clogged is because people "overfill" the tank by continueing to "top off" after the pump has shut itself down. The evap. system needs a little airspace for it to function correctly and when people overfill the system, it causes the gas to back into the charcoal canister (which is designed to "filter" gas vapor of any harmful items and remove moisture from the system).

So when they replace it, make sure you are careful not to top off the system.

Good luck!

EDIT: Just read your update but I wont delete this post :p

No more overflow

B1GHAM said:
I've pulled out the nozzle and seen gas almost at the brim (until it trickles back in)

Mine used to go over the brim and therefore the overflow problem. Since then I learned to pull out the nozzle slowly and that prevents it from overflowing. Problem solved.

raspykart said:
filled mine for the first time no problemo... even gave'r the usual top off.

you should NOT top off any of the newer mazda vehicles. youre setting yourself up to have a saturated charcoal canister (like my MSP has from prev. owner and like what was experienced here) due to the evap system. its not worth a $150-$250 part just to squeeze that extra 10-15 cents in the tank

maramarrie said:
That's interesting. My 5 has sort of the opposite issue. I have gotten into the habit of topping off lately because when I fill up my 5 it doesn't actually fill up. I have "topped off" up to 3 gallons after the pump clicks off. It just shut off before it was full. This has happened a few times, but never overflowing.

Same thing happened to me too, on my second fill up.

maramarrie said:
That's interesting. My 5 has sort of the opposite issue. I have gotten into the habit of topping off lately because when I fill up my 5 it doesn't actually fill up. I have "topped off" up to 3 gallons after the pump clicks off. It just shut off before it was full. This has happened a few times, but never overflowing.

Noticed that too.

I've calculated that on average I was getting less than 15 gal if I let the pump "top off". The max I've been able to squeeze in is 16.996 gal (& I may have had anywhere from .2 to .5 gal of fuel left in the tank before I did)

Well the first overflow happenes to my wife last night. She said the 5 was on dead E, but only took 12 gal. So she tried to top it off and about 50cents later it was pouring out. She thought since last time I filled it up and it shut off early that she could top off, I told her to not top off anymore, but this is a annoying problem experienced by many, will Mazda step up and do something? I am kind of dissapointed in the 5, only for its problems that seem to be widespread like the freezing door latches, clunking front end, and wierd dash rattles when its cold out. I hope Mazda does a recall for this gas issue, I know if I take it to teh dealer they will say we could not reproduce it so have a nice day and since we didn't find a problem, we need $50 for out time.

ChadSpeed said:
I hope Mazda does a recall for this gas issue, I know if I take it to teh dealer they will say we could not reproduce it so have a nice day and since we didn't find a problem, we need $50 for out time.
Don't count on a recall, it's not really a safety issue and certainly not widespread enough. My dealer actually reproduced this problem and replaced the fill tube and charcoal canister. You never know unless you try, and why not while it's free to fix :)

Oh, and if you dealership charges you for the visit when they couldn't duplicate, that's 100% BULLSH1T! The labor time used to diagnose issues can be charged against the warranty. Find a new dealer... the ONLY thing you should pay your dealership to do the first 3/36 or 4/50 is for accessories or maintenance work such as oil changes. Hell, even adjustments such as alignment are covered for the first year/12k miles! Someone correct me if I'm wrong with this...

Maybe I will tell them to check it out after the first oil change. I don't know the dealer all that well, I have always done my own maintence, but we got oil changes and tire rotations included for the first 48,000. Previuosly at my other dealer I always personaly knew an owner and several service advisers, so I never had anything to worry about.

Back