gas keeps overflowing?

I have the factory tires on still.

I have run factory tires on all my vehicles for a long time without much trouble. However, this is my first Mazda.

Looks like I'll have to invest in some snow tires.

I talked to my buddy at work today, who recently bought a 3, and he out of the blue made a comment about how his car always is like COMPLETELY full at the first click, like he can't go any more clicks. He never had it overflow on the first click, but now I see how widespread the "issue" is. He mentioned about how he always makes sure that the nozzle is in as far as it can go, and I can't say I'm always careful to do the same. This past time I did, and no overflow. So I'm going to try to get another top-off before Tuesday and if it doesn't overflow after ensuring the nozzle is inserted absolutely as far as it can go, I might cancel my appointment.

I dunno... Should I keep my appointment regardless?

TuKool5 said:
I have the factory tires on still.

I have run factory tires on all my vehicles for a long time without much trouble. However, this is my first Mazda.

Looks like I'll have to invest in some snow tires.

seriously! you live in calgary and don't use winter tires!! brave man!! I have to admit this is the first time I've gone all out and bought winter rims and tires! but after my last car and having relatives in snow country! I decided that for the safety of the family I was time to stop sliding around and get some better grip in the winter!

Yes, keep your appointment maybe there is a problem or maybe not, just keep filling up the same way you do now, also why are snow tires in this thread when i thought is was about overflowing of fuel?(uhm) zoomzoom

This happens to me a lot, if I keep my car running while filling up... so now I just make sure the car is not running...

jandree22 said:
About 2/3 times I've filled my 5 up so far, the damn thing overflows! What I'll do is either manually hold the pump open or "lock" it open and of course, fill it until the first click. After the first click, I never pump to further clicks with the intent to top it off... just the first click and done.

Well, I've been doing that, but when I get to the first click, a split second later gas overflows and all down the side of my beautiful Whitewater (shocked) . It's only maybe 1/8 - 1/4 gallon or so, but this can't keep happening. I thought one time was a fluke of the pump I was using, but a 2nd time out of three fill ups and I know something's going on... this never happened in any previous cars of mine.

Anyone experience this phenomenon or have any tips? I'm calling my dealer about it on Monday. Thanks!

I can tell ya if you are filling the tank with the car running there is a evaporator pump that wants to build pressure in the tank...

So you can have a full tank and if it is close the pump will push the fuel out...

Took my car in for service as planned. The tech called me today and said he called Mazda about the issue. They're attributing it to a charcoal canister with fluid trapped in it... whatever the hell that means! haha... They're keeping it overnight, the new charcoal canister is coming in tomorrow. We shall see. Even if this doesn't fix the problem, I'm glad they're at least trying.

Keep us posted on the problem you are having. Did they give you a rental? hope everything works out for you. zoomzoom angelo(cheers)

zoomzoom mazda5 said:
Keep us posted on the problem you are having. Did they give you a rental? hope everything works out for you. zoomzoom angelo(cheers)
Nah, and that's fine. My wife and I share a car on the way into work anyways. I'll update once I know more...

dommo_g said:
How hard can it be to put gas in a car without making a mess?
3 of 6 fillups my Mz5 has overflowed upon the first click of the pump. If you somehow think my weak pumping skills are to blame, my deepest appologies.

Last edited:
Called dealership about picking my car up... (they said it would be done yesterday). Well, he's putting my car back together with some 'temporary fix' because the part is appearently backordered... none available in the states at all. That means either this is a bizarre fix that's rarely ever tried/replaced, or else it's been a frequent fix and the can't keep up with the demand. Either way, I'll pick it up either later tonight or tomorrow without the new charcoal canister. Crap.

Jandree,
It will all be good shortly, just don't fill up till the part comes in. By the way, I admire your restraint in dealing with the negative comments, it showed real class. Just concentrate on taking care of the mom to be, and let the car issue sort itself out over time.

Tiny update... I spoke directly with the tech later on yesterday and he explained that the temporary fix was some valve, I'm assuming in this charcoal canister, was sticking. So they fixed that up and told me to see if that fixes my problem... they're kind of using my car as a research case to see what's required to fix the problem.

HOWEVER, he informed me that Mazda advised them to replace both the charcoal canister and the fill tube. The tech told me that regardless if the the temporary fix works or not, they are being mandated by MazdaUSA to replace these two parts when they come in.

I'm picking it up today with the temporary fix. If there's one good thing, they topped of the tank for me :D

Do they still not know what's causing it or are they just guessing. I thought it would be pretty simple to guess that the vent valve was stuck, not letting the air out.

It's hard to say whether or not the tech new from the start, but sounds like Mazda is pretty confident on the cause/resolution.

Damn it, the CEL came on today. Not sure if it can be put off until the parts come in or if I should get that checked right away... dealership is 45min. away. I'll have to get in touch with them.

While I wasn't expecting it, I'm not surprised. After all, they made a "temporary fix" to the emissions system. Oh well.

I didnt read this whole thread, but in my Mazdaspeed Protege if I have the car running and pump gas it will do this EVERY single time. Just make sure your 5 is off when your pumping gas.

blthlt said:
I didnt read this whole thread, but in my Mazdaspeed Protege if I have the car running and pump gas it will do this EVERY single time. Just make sure your 5 is off when your pumping gas.

What's with all you people leaving your cars running when you're pumping gas? I don't know about you but in Canada it is illegal to leave a gasoline powered vehicle running while refueling!!

But since I've been following this thread, I've had the same issues, Worst was yesterday when the pump clicked, I squeezed again and nearly 2 liters ( 1/2 gallon) poured down the side of my 5. First time that's ever happened to me!

Back