2.0 conversion to 1.8 Coil Packs

njaremka

Wiggity-Wack-O-Tack
Contributor
:
2012 Mini R55
so, yeah, i did a search and it seems that it is an upgrade to convert to 1.8 coil packs fromt he stock 2.0 liter ones. however, you need to modify the wires to work with the 2.0 liter cam cover.

here's my question: does any one have pictures available of the swap? i searched, and no pictures seemd to come up.

thanks.

i'll post one tomorrow. i don't have my camera with me. i put on a 626 valve cover. the only part of the plug wires you need to modify is where your stock coils mount to the valve cover...just cut around that mounting post...you'll see in my pics...mine are cut from when i had the stock valve cover.

thanks. yours was the one that kept coming up on the searches i did. does you valve cover has a mount for the cam sensor? what year 626 is it from?

it's a 2000 626 i believe. you can find one at a junk yard or www.mazmart.com

it's a direct swap. the only difference between the valve covers is the 626 valve cover doesn't have the mounting post for the coils.

post #3000!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
here's a pic amaff took of my car this past weekend. i'll get you a better shot in the morning...but this will give you some idea.

IMG_2383Medium.jpeg

well, i've been told these coils are stronger than the stock coils. they're supposed to smooth out your powerband and give you a little (and i do mean little) more hp and torque.

i'll say this. these were on my p5 until i traded it in. the guys in the shop asked me what i did to the car after i took them off because the throttle response wasn't there and it wasn't as "peppy" as it was before.

...but i didn't notice anything...then again, i didn't notice anything when i put my UR pulley on either.

that's great. a better shot of the top of the plugs where the wires seat would be great.

Topher said:
here's a pic amaff took of my car this past weekend. i'll get you a better shot in the morning...but this will give you some idea.

IMG_2383Medium.jpeg

will do.

you can kinda see where the 2nd wire from the left is trimmed on the lower corner. hell, it's hard to see...i'll shoot a pic in the morning.

Topher said:
will do.

you can kinda see where the 2nd wire from the left is trimmed on the lower corner. hell, it's hard to see...i'll shoot a pic in the morning.

yeah, kinda.

so, on a scale of 1-10 (10 being most difficult), how would you rate performing this alteration?

the time/work involved? maybe a 3. it takes about 45 minutes to an hour...the hard part is taking the coil wires out of all that tape and crap.

Topher said:
...the hard part is taking the coil wires out of all that tape and crap.

thats what i thought

thanks for your help, and answering my questions

from my mazda dealership. i'll look-up the part #'s. i don't know if turbo guys have enough room. when i take pics tomorrow, i'll take some with a measuring tape to see if you have the room.

you're going to need the followig:
FPY2-18-10X - Coil / Igniter
FP47-18-105 - Coil Bracket
0000-18-152A - Wire Set

of course, you don't have to go to the dealer to get them, but those are the part numbers.

Back