fog lights on with parking lights

We just finished modification on our M5 GT!

It was quite annoying from the factory, but these forums sure helped.(dance)

...and test for the wire that gets power when the headlights are turned on. Mine was Grey with Blue stripe. When you find the correct wire, mark it. Now to the taillight relay. Test for the wire that gives power out to the taillights when the switch is turned on. Mine was Grey with Black stripe. Now cut the grey/blue wire about 2 inches from the foglight relay.

Our 2008 Mazda5 GT had the exact wiring & coloring as described above.
A few wire taps and heat shrink and we were in business.

michael.

Attachments

• fog jumper (Medium).JPG
    fog jumper (Medium).JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
I was thinking o trying that, but then realized that my lights(HID) are always on and it wouldn't make sense for me to do the independent fog mod, I just simply wouldn't be able to use it and I like my DRL way too much. I don't thing it is worth it to disconnect DRL just so I can run my fogs, that barely produce any light.

I don't mean to discourage any of you guys from doing the mod, just stating my opinion.

Dima

Hope I am not too off topic, but I would really like to have DRL, anyone know how I could do this?

Hope I am not too off topic, but I would really like to have DRL, anyone know how I could do this?

Do what? You already have DRL, and doing the fog mod wouldn't do no good for you, cuz your lights are on once you start your car. Meanwhile you can still have your DRL and fogs on at the same time.

The only difference it will make if you want to have your low beams+high beams+fogs on at the same time.
Hope this helps

Dima

I have a USA version, it doesn't have DRL's, but as much driving as I do I really like them for the extra safety they provide. Is there a mod or add on I can get to add them?

I have the same problem...but I found the solution...there's this switch on the steering column with a headlight symbol...I turn it on when I drive during the day....(spank)(butt)(butt)(butt) just teasing...sorry....(silly) maybe it's just a relay or something, I think I remember seeing a fuse spot for it in the fuse box....maybe it's as simple as putting a fuse in....I mean that was how easy it was to install the fogs...basically just installed the switch, even the fog light fuse was there already from the factory...I'll double check in the morning...

Last edited:
I have the same problem...but I found the solution...there's this switch on the steering column with a headlight symbol...I turn it on when I drive during the day....(spank)(butt)(butt)(butt) just teasing...sorry....(silly) maybe it's just a relay or something, I think I remember seeing a fuse spot for it in the fuse box....maybe it's as simple as putting a fuse in....I mean that was how easy it was to install the fogs...basically just installed the switch, even the fog light fuse was there already from the factory...I'll double check in the morning...

(bang) ya i know about this switch, its handy......(silly) but if i can get drl's i sure would like to...any help you can provide would be awesome! (bowdown)

joeym,

I would switch any time with you!!! No DRLs would be fantastic!!! But in CDA.... Got no choice...

When I had my Corolla, I disabled the factory DRLs on low beams and installed this module to get it to turn the high beams on at 25% intensity when in DRL mode. The only thing I would change would be connecting the red wire to the DRL module, provided that the DRL can provide 12V power at the appropriate amperage. I didn't feel like going through the firewall so I kept it dirty and simple. The only time I had to disable DRLs was at the drive-in theatre. In the Mazda 5, I would probably connect the white wires to the fog lights.

DKaz said:
Better late than never... instructions thanks to Dave at DX where I bought the module from but I made a few modifications.

I did not take pictures of the ground yet but GROUND THE MODULE FIRST!!! There is a ground connection on the strut tower.

Fusebox overview...
2695880431_9963b9e08d.jpg

12V power supply - Red wire (please refer to your module's instruction manual.
Image removed

Yellow wire - high beam light connection and Pink wire - ignition sensing connection which I connected to EFI because it's the only fuse that is only active when ignition is turned on. The yellow wire provides DRL power from the power supply to the high beams. (ditto)
2696696580_00f39949de.jpg

Finally the white wire - low beam sensing connection ... Basically when it senses the low beams have turned on, the DRLs will turn off.
Image removed

Take out the appropriate fuse, wrap the wire around, and connect it to the DRL module. Connect on the side as per my photos because they are the protected size. I've been running this for almost a week with no issues of blown fuses so it's definitely safe.

End result:
2690934503_b769f5552b.jpg

Last edited:
Can any of the Canadian owners check their owners manual or direct me to a online non-usa owners manual and let me know what fuse number slot is used for their DRL's? Thanks in advance!

Back