Forged rods and pistons. .

Nickd

:
2003 Evolution V///
hey guys im lookin at buyin some forged rods and pistons for my MSP. .
Just curious about how much will a shop charge to install this? also if I get forged rods and upgrated pistons and I get ems could I boost around 15 psi safely? any suggestions or help will be much appreciated! but the main thing I need to know is about how much it will cost for a shop to do it. . thanks guys!!!

Make sure everything has been honed and checked for clearences before you even order any parts. The cylinders may be out of round and need to be bored out and need a bigger piston or a sleeve replaced in order to take the same size pistons as stock. Realy depends on what needs to be done, but I haven't had the chance to do this so maybe someone else can say what they were charged.

orng1 said:
Make sure everything has been honed and checked for clearences before you even order any parts. The cylinders may be out of round and need to be bored out and need a bigger piston or a sleeve replaced in order to take the same size pistons as stock. Realy depends on what needs to be done, but I haven't had the chance to do this so maybe someone else can say what they were charged.
actually for now I think im just going to get forged rods, that along with ems and a good tune should let me run 12-13 psi daily safe right?

I say do the pistons and rods while you have it apart. Save your self some headaches if you decide to up the boost and can't because you have stock cast pistons and have to worry about that. There are people that have built high HP cars around the stock engine but those are rare motors that have stood up to the abuse.

orng1 said:
I say do the pistons and rods while you have it apart. Save your self some headaches if you decide to up the boost and can't because you have stock cast pistons and have to worry about that. There are people that have built high HP cars around the stock engine but those are rare motors that have stood up to the abuse.
Im gettin a unichip ems and a fmic here within the next few months. . hopefully with a good tune ill be fine at 11-12 psi hopefully! lol I guess you never really know!

Nickd said:
Im gettin a unichip ems and a fmic here within the next few months. . hopefully with a good tune ill be fine at 11-12 psi hopefully! lol I guess you never really know!
Unless you really get a great deal on the unichip, I'd personaly go with a different engine management.. the Map's aern't all that adjustable,you have to pay someone to tune it for you every time and that alone is going to make it cost more than something like a haltech in the long(or even short..) run.

sephiroth said:
Unless you really get a great deal on the unichip, I'd personaly go with a different engine management.. the Map's aern't all that adjustable,you have to pay someone to tune it for you every time and that alone is going to make it cost more than something like a haltech in the long(or even short..) run.
but isnt microtech and that stuff really hard to tune? wouldnt I have to pay someone to tune that anyways?.

Nickd said:
but isnt microtech and that stuff really hard to tune? wouldnt I have to pay someone to tune that anyways?.
getting the software to do it and learning how isn't impossible, but if you'd rather not mess with it.. then it's still going to make a bit more difference, the unichip is going to be more restrictive in what you can adjust than the haltech(or similar)

Last edited:
sephiroth said:
getting the software to do it and learning how isn't impossible, but if you'd rather not mess with it.. then it's still going to make a bit more difference, the unichip is going to be more restrictive in what you can adjust than the haltech(or similar)
how much do the haltechs run? (price)

ive noticed that alot of people have a J&s safeguard with knock detector. .
what exactly does this do? is it very useful when upping boost? and about how much is it?

Nickd said:
ive noticed that alot of people have a J&s safeguard with knock detector. .
what exactly does this do? is it very useful when upping boost? and about how much is it?

I imagine that it will cut timing when knock is seen, so yes it would be useful to save your engine. No clue how much it is.

I don't know you, but it sounds like you really don't know what you want and are just throwing out things that you have seen other people run or buy. I think you need to spend a lot more time researching mods and which way to go. It would be absolutely silly to install forged rods but not pistons, as mentioned. And yes, if you have forged internals, then you can pretty much boost as much as you want, however you have to remember that you need ALL supporting mods. You can't just get a strong block and turn the boost way up. The fuel system needs to be there, proper exhaust, engine management, gauges, drivetrain, etc, etc. Do some more researching and find out what you really want.

Nickd said:
actually for now I think im just going to get forged rods, that along with ems and a good tune should let me run 12-13 psi daily safe right?

unless you are planning on doing some machining to your stock pistons,guess agian.

aftermarket rods use larger floating wrist pins,not press in like the stockers.

Yellow MSP said:
I imagine that it will cut timing when knock is seen, so yes it would be useful to save your engine. No clue how much it is.

bout 550. very good safety net. has the ability to retard timing per cylinder.

Yea, I hear only great things about it. I think that is going to be my next mod. Followed by a welded lsd.

Hey nick, call me, i sent ou a PM i have alot of parts that you are probably looking for... plus the exhaust :)

This is what my engine build costed me:

Rods and pistons- $1100

OE rod and main bearings, h-gasket, intake, exhaust, oil p/u orings/gaskets, valve cover, cam,crank, rear main seals, timing belt, spring etc etc- $400

solid hone, polished crank $80

Have diff welded $75

Clutch $275

Labor- $0 did it all myself.

As you can see, it all adds up pretty quick. If I could do it all over again, I would have gone w/ an .020 overbore piston. In my situation, I had some scoring in all cylinders near the top (surprise,surprise!), thankfully the solid hone got them out and kept tolerances w/in spec. At least now I think vendors are stocking pistons in varying sizes. Take your time and do it right the first time. I HIGHLY reccomend getting all supporting mods out of the way prior to the engine build. Intercooler,ems, exhaust, hardpipes will all go by the wayside when your engine build blows up in your face financially. The first thing you will want to do is crank up the boost and it will be nice to do that w/ the complete package.

IIRC Hiboost will machine stock pistons to accept aftermarket rods, since they used modified stock pistons in their race car. But from what I've found it'll cost just as much as new forged units.

^yes, they sell a kit with forged Pauter rods and modified and coated stock pistons in their HiBoosted P5 and 3.

Back