Problems with the 5 now that it's gotten cold out.....

I have clicking/tapping noise/rattle coming from my dash, too!

Well, I, too, have been suffering with the most ANNOYING tapping/clicking noise/rattle coming from my dash area. First and foremost, I LOOOOOVE my 5! I think it's a GREAT car that is PERFECT for my and my family's needs, and I LOVE driving in it, sitting in it, looking at it - it's great! BUT, I do notice that it's not that good of a cold weather car.

I, too, had the front suspension crunching noise last winter, which drove me mad! I took it to the dealer and they did a great job in replacing the bushings. Recently, I noticed the rear right side suspension making some noise over speed bumps and such. It turns out the shock was faulty, so they replaced it for free and the noise is gone. (I do think my Mazda dealer is great and has always been very helpful) BUT, the tapping/clicking noise bothered me last winter, and now that the weather is colder, it has come back again and with a VENGEANCE!

The dealer had already taken my dashboard apart and told me that they didn't find anything wrong, but took measures to better insulate the dash area. At that time, the weather was warming up for Spring and so the damned noise disappeared, so everything seemed fine. But, again, now that the weather's colder, the noise is back and driving me CRAZY! But, I do notice that it comes on when the temperature is below 60 degrees - same as when the crunching noise over bumps came before.

So, no, you're not alone regarding your clicking/tapping noise coming from the dash/windshield area anytime you hit some type of minor, though sharp, imperfection on the road - I thought I was the one who was alone in this, so it's nice to know I'm not. You spoke of a windshield issue Mazdas have had. What is this issue? And do you think it has to do with the annoying tap?

I have to take my 5 in to the dealer in order to replace a tire that has a bubble on it, and when I do I will tell them to look into the tap and to also replace my rear right side passenger door lock - last year they had told me it needed replacement because of some TSB, but I never took it in since I didn't experience a problem, but now I notice that the lock doesn't open all the time when I use the door lock buttons or the key fob (usually have to do it twice to get it open). Do you guys think this has to do with the cold, too?

Benfolio said:
So disappointing. I frigging WORK here (Mazda dealer) and have never seen a 5 come in with any serious problem.
But I got two, possibly three.

At the end of summer on certain days over sharp bumps (like joints in the concrete roads) there would be a click or pop noise from the dash. Of course when i bring it in, it won't do it, and none of the roads down here are crappy enough. Now that it's gotten cold out (30 at night!), it's been doing it ALOT. Plus, it sounds like the windshield flexing. Eck. I know Mazda with thier windshield problems, but have never seen a 5 with one. Not to mention I heard the dreaded 'groink' noise from the front sway bar bushings ONCE. Not sure if I'll make an issue out of it.

Speaking of suspension, the front tires were cupping on the outside edges, and the steering wheel has been slightly off to the left since new. I'd hate to throw away my ONE free alignment so soon (7k miles), but now that I rotated the tires, if it starts to screw up the other two, it's gonna have to be done.

AND THEN, for two mornings straight last weekend when it was cold, the 5 would turn over, start up, and immediately stall (AT trans). WTF. This doesn't happen either.

Except to me.

Anyone else?

Someday when it's colder out I'll steal it from the wife and bring it down here. Just hate that it seems like we got a lemon. (bang)

Last edited:
Crunching/Rattling Noise

I have had the crunching noise in the front fixed finally, but now i hear a crunching noise in the rear too. I also hear a "rattling" coming from the rear also. Does anyone hear a rattling in the rear too? I'm hoping it will go away when the rear is fixed from the crunching noise. I also had another concern regarding a hesitation when accelerating slowly and suddenly giving a bunch of gas. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a technical bulletin on this too? My car is awesome and I don't like taking it in but I like to have my car in tip top shape and the noises and acceleration problems just aren't cutting it. Let me know if you can. I am taking my 5 in this weekend and would like some ammo when I go in. Thanks

MORE noises!

Alright, so the DAMNED tapping/clicking/popping/rattling noise, or however you wanna describe it, coming from my dash is ABSOLUTELY DRIVING ME INSANE!!! Now that it's gotten cold here in NYC, the noise is worse than it has EVER been, and I hate it!

In addition, last night, it dropped down to 35 degree F and I had to go to the store. On the way, my 5 was cruching and squeaking all over the place over any dips and bumps. The front, which already had the bushing replaced, didn't make much noise, but the rear suspension, which wasn't worked on, was definitely crunching and squeaking LOUDLY.

So, with the cruching and the squeaking from the suspension and the damned loud and very noticeable tapping/clicking/popping/rattling from the dash, I felt like I was driving some old JALOPY last night and it SUCKS since it's a NEW car that, otherwise, I LOVE!!! UGH! FRUSTRATING!

So, I have to take it in for a whole gammut of things: to have it serviced - 15K miles servicing, to have the bubble tire replaced, to have the wipers replaced, to have the rear door locks looked at/fixed, to have the damned tapping looked at/fixed, and to fix the rear suspension cruching. Too much for a new car, I think. Don't get me wrong, though, I LOVE my 5 and am still glad I bought it. There is no other car out there that can compare, not even the butt ugly new Kia Rondo - what a horrible name, too! Can you really picture yourself telling people you own a "Rondo"? How DORKY!

NissMazLover said:
Well, I, too, have been suffering with the most ANNOYING tapping/clicking noise/rattle coming from my dash area. First and foremost, I LOOOOOVE my 5! I think it's a GREAT car that is PERFECT for my and my family's needs, and I LOVE driving in it, sitting in it, looking at it - it's great! BUT, I do notice that it's not that good of a cold weather car.

I, too, had the front suspension crunching noise last winter, which drove me mad! I took it to the dealer and they did a great job in replacing the bushings. Recently, I noticed the rear right side suspension making some noise over speed bumps and such. It turns out the shock was faulty, so they replaced it for free and the noise is gone. (I do think my Mazda dealer is great and has always been very helpful) BUT, the tapping/clicking noise bothered me last winter, and now that the weather is colder, it has come back again and with a VENGEANCE!

The dealer had already taken my dashboard apart and told me that they didn't find anything wrong, but took measures to better insulate the dash area. At that time, the weather was warming up for Spring and so the damned noise disappeared, so everything seemed fine. But, again, now that the weather's colder, the noise is back and driving me CRAZY! But, I do notice that it comes on when the temperature is below 60 degrees - same as when the crunching noise over bumps came before.

So, no, you're not alone regarding your clicking/tapping noise coming from the dash/windshield area anytime you hit some type of minor, though sharp, imperfection on the road - I thought I was the one who was alone in this, so it's nice to know I'm not. You spoke of a windshield issue Mazdas have had. What is this issue? And do you think it has to do with the annoying tap?

I have to take my 5 in to the dealer in order to replace a tire that has a bubble on it, and when I do I will tell them to look into the tap and to also replace my rear right side passenger door lock - last year they had told me it needed replacement because of some TSB, but I never took it in since I didn't experience a problem, but now I notice that the lock doesn't open all the time when I use the door lock buttons or the key fob (usually have to do it twice to get it open). Do you guys think this has to do with the cold, too?

Last edited:
NissMazLover said:
Alright, so the DAMNED tapping/clicking/popping/rattling noise, or however you wanna describe it, coming from my dash is ABSOLUTELY DRIVING ME INSANE!!! Now that it's gotten cold here in NYC, the noise is worse than it has EVER been, and I hate it!
Let us know if they can fix this. I have it pretty bad too, but it helps to reassure myself that while this isn't normal for any car, it's normal for the Mazda5. It's just a flawed design, nothing actually wrong with MY car.

For what it's worth:

The tapping noise in our 5 is really minor and intermittent. Otherwise there aren't any rattles or noises, and we just passed 10K miles. It's been in the 20s (farenheit) in the morning in northern Maryland.

As for the crunching, our 5 doesn't do it either. My Protege, on the other hand, does over large bumps. Two different dealers have looked at it, I got one temp lube job that fixed the problem, and it reoccurred. I've been told repeatedly that there's nothing wrong with the car.

Since our 5 is relatively noise free, part of me wonders if the early 5s had some kinks that got better. Any thoughts?

doctorz said:
Since our 5 is relatively noise free, part of me wonders if the early 5s had some kinks that got better. Any thoughts?
My 5 has the clicking over wierd bumps in the road when intermitently when it's below 60*F, frequently when it's below 30*F. I don't have the groaning suspension noise. I have an 07.

I don't know that Mazda has or will officially acknowledge the clicking dash noise. (You may have just gotten lucky with that ;)) Obviously, they're addressing the suspension noise with TSB's and production line changes.

Well. It's COLD out.
Brought the 5 in yesterday and had a couple things looked at.

1. TSB for the keyless remotes working intermittantly.
2. Noise in the dash area
3. Noise over bumps
4. Rear washer decided it didn't want to spray
5. Sterring wheel off to the left and front tires cupping

As of last night when Enterprise Rent a Wreck gave me a 2006 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 to drive home, the solution to the 5's problems were:

1. New remotes with METAL ENDS (new design, better than the chipping, splintering cheapo plastic fobs) programmed and in my pocket.
2. Cowl was removed and YES!!!! The 5 has the same 2 bolts behind the wiper motor that the 3 does!!!! AND ONE WAS LOOSE ENOUGH TO TURN BY HAND!!!!!! THANKS MAZDA!!!!!
Noise is reportedly GONE. I have yet to drive it, but I will be taking her home tonight, I'll report back tomorrow.
3. Ordered BOTH front control arms, and front and rear sway bar bushings overnight per the TSB I posted. Rear bushings got stuck in customs out of Canada (why they are only there, I dunno) so they'll have to wait, but the control arms and front bushings are in. Noise is supposed to be gone but it takes a COLD morning for it to really make that "GROOOONNNK" noise. We'll see.
4. Wife was out of washer fluid. Almost. Turns out the pump for the front washer sits lower in the tank than the rear. SO the rear was pumping air while the front still had a little left to suck.
5. Replacement of control arms called for an alignment. Wheel is straight finally. Toe was off by ALOT.

Got her all washed up and ready to go home. BTW, it's 7PM, time to head out.

I'll let y'all know how quiet (or not) the ride home was!!!!!

Benfolio said:
Well. It's COLD out.
Brought the 5 in yesterday and had a couple things looked at.

1. TSB for the keyless remotes working intermittantly.
2. Noise in the dash area
3. Noise over bumps
4. Rear washer decided it didn't want to spray
5. Sterring wheel off to the left and front tires cupping

As of last night when Enterprise Rent a Wreck gave me a 2006 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 to drive home, the solution to the 5's problems were:

1. New remotes with METAL ENDS (new design, better than the chipping, splintering cheapo plastic fobs) programmed and in my pocket.
2. Cowl was removed and YES!!!! The 5 has the same 2 bolts behind the wiper motor that the 3 does!!!! AND ONE WAS LOOSE ENOUGH TO TURN BY HAND!!!!!! THANKS MAZDA!!!!!
Noise is reportedly GONE. I have yet to drive it, but I will be taking her home tonight, I'll report back tomorrow.
3. Ordered BOTH front control arms, and front and rear sway bar bushings overnight per the TSB I posted. Rear bushings got stuck in customs out of Canada (why they are only there, I dunno) so they'll have to wait, but the control arms and front bushings are in. Noise is supposed to be gone but it takes a COLD morning for it to really make that "GROOOONNNK" noise. We'll see.
4. Wife was out of washer fluid. Almost. Turns out the pump for the front washer sits lower in the tank than the rear. SO the rear was pumping air while the front still had a little left to suck.
5. Replacement of control arms called for an alignment. Wheel is straight finally. Toe was off by ALOT.

Got her all washed up and ready to go home. BTW, it's 7PM, time to head out.

I'll let y'all know how quiet (or not) the ride home was!!!!!
Do you have TSB for Intermittent FOB?? I need a copy thanks

Everything's great. Mostly. I didn't hear a THING on the way home, but with all the crap that the wife put back in there the next day, it's been hard to tell if it's REALLY gone. But it's a TON better than how it was.

jandree22 said:
theMan, I looked under the hood and I couldnt find what bolts or black metal panel you were talking about? The plastic cowl seems to be covering all.

EDIT: Do you need to remove the plastic panel to get to these bolts? I THINK I may see what you're talking about(these 2 bolts attach to the black metal, and go directly up and down), but they're burried under all that plastic under the wipers.

mz5Bay.jpg

Attachments

• mtol4948.jpg
    mtol4948.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 3,448
HOLY CRAP it's gotten HORRIBLE now that it's -10 degrees outside.

I thought the front end was gonna fall off. It was NEVER this bad. And we have another 5 in the shop at work (Carbon Gray, must be a theme) with the same problem, and his control arms and bushings were replaced, even though he's OUTSIDE the VIN range of the TSB.

Something wierd is going on, there's no reason that the cold should make such an issue on a car's suspension. It sounds like there's chunks of ice grinding themselves to peices inside the struts.

Will update when I know more.

Benfolio said:

Hey Benfolio, is this job easy enough for a DIY at home with no auto repair experience beyond fluid levels and tire air pressure checking? Our popping/clicking noise got worse last weekend after a trip to NYC's bombed-out roads. I can wait until the 15K service which will probably be in the spring, but just curious.

My new 07 also noisy in the cold

olddaddy said:
Does this mean that vehicles made after 1/27/06 shouldnt have this problem or this fix is only for vehicles made prior to 1/27/06?
My 5 is 07 and makes the very loud squeaky/scrunchy noise over bumps in the rear right corner. I have only owned it in the cold so not sure if it will improve in the spring. Also, some grinding noise in the front.

Last edited:
Got my 5 in for a 8000km oil change this week... I have a set of bushings on BO for a replacement - my suspension was noisy as hell by cold temps. As soon as they are replaced, i'll let you know.

Back