Problems with the 5 now that it's gotten cold out.....

P_bouchr said:
Got my 5 in for a 8000km oil change this week... I have a set of bushings on BO for a replacement - my suspension was noisy as hell by cold temps. As soon as they are replaced, i'll let you know.

Just came home with my new rear suspension bushings - not a sound. Of course, it is plus 3 today so tomorrow will tell the tale better.

this is stupid. I took my 5 in to have the crunch/popping fixed and all looked well and seemed great....until i entered my driveway at home then...POP. Now i need to take another trip to the damn dealership. But re reading this thread again i also noticed the TSB for the key fob. Mine constantly goes in and out. I have to open the key, close it and then it works again. Mazda makes fun to drive cars but they need to work on the little things like the key...and all of the damn creaking. Now im starting to also hear this annoying creaking sound coming from my nav in the center of the dash anytime im on the freeway. Crazy thing is that its not even cold outside...well unless you consider 75 cold. **sigh** maybe i should have waited for the new outlander.

The dash sound is a easy fix for the dealer. I think it's a TSB on that problem or something else. Ask them to look it up on their system. Good luck

Cold weather is getting our Mz5 again. A few months ago we had the lock mechanism freeze up on one of the sliding doors so it wouldn't open. Eventually the latch service bulletin was done. Now in the springtime it rained, then got below freezing. Now the same door won't latch shut. Wife didn't mind the door not unlocking so much but does not like at all that it won't stay shut!

We still love this car but Mazda definitely didn't have the engineering done on it.

Jon

jlk_250 said:
Cold weather is getting our Mz5 again. A few months ago we had the lock mechanism freeze up on one of the sliding doors so it wouldn't open. Eventually the latch service bulletin was done. Now in the springtime it rained, then got below freezing. Now the same door won't latch shut. Wife didn't mind the door not unlocking so much but does not like at all that it won't stay shut!

We still love this car but Mazda definitely didn't have the engineering done on it.

Jon

Just out of curiousity, How many people use a pressure washer to clean their cars??? Maybe I've been lucky, but the freezing door issue hasn't affected me here in Toronto. Just wondering if water is being forced past the seals and getting into the lock mechanism that way?

Since I bought my 5 I've always hand washed it (luckily the underground park where I work has a bay with hose to wash my car with! )

was98strat said:
Just out of curiousity, How many people use a pressure washer to clean their cars??? Maybe I've been lucky, but the freezing door issue hasn't affected me here in Toronto. Just wondering if water is being forced past the seals and getting into the lock mechanism that way?

Since I bought my 5 I've always hand washed it (luckily the underground park where I work has a bay with hose to wash my car with! )

We had ours freeze after going through an automated carwash, and then having the temperature drop that night. The next morning, (a Saturday) the drivers side sliding door wouldn't open at all, and the passenger side opened, but then refused to close. We used a hair dryer to melt the ice, along with WD-40 to displace the water once it melted. After around 20 minutes standing out in the cold, the door was able to shut.

We took my car out instead.

The dealership said that there was a redesigned part available, and ordered, then installed it on both doors under warranty. No problems since!

Same happened to me

flomobile said:
We had ours freeze after going through an automated carwash, and then having the temperature drop that night. The next morning, (a Saturday) the drivers side sliding door wouldn't open at all, and the passenger side opened, but then refused to close. We used a hair dryer to melt the ice, along with WD-40 to displace the water once it melted. After around 20 minutes standing out in the cold, the door was able to shut.

We took my car out instead.

The dealership said that there was a redesigned part available, and ordered, then installed it on both doors under warranty. No problems since!

This happened after I hand washed our car. The next day it was below freezing and my wife had a hard time closing the doors. We had the TSB fixed and everything is hunkey dorey

Jon

This is last season's thread but I'm not happy to report that with the return of cold weather comes the return of this problem. Yesterday the -other- side sliding door would not latch shut. No rain for weeks so it's related to frost or cold temps rather than rain or snow. Mazda is going to hear about this one, in addition to the dealership.

Jon

BENFOLIO,
wHAT HAPPENED WITH YOUR STALLING PROBLEM AFTER STARTING. MY PROTEGE 5 WILL START UP, RUN FOR A FEW SECONDS, THEN DIE IF THE TEMPERATURE IS UNDER FIFTY DEGREES. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM? N/A WITH HALTECH EX6

Freezing Rear Door Latch/ Will not shut

This is last season's thread but I'm not happy to report that with the return of cold weather comes the return of this problem. Yesterday the -other- side sliding door would not latch shut. No rain for weeks so it's related to frost or cold temps rather than rain or snow. Mazda is going to hear about this one, in addition to the dealership.

Jon

I went thru the entire post and no one ever posted how to fix the "Freezing" door latch......? I'm on DC and the driver side rear door will not shut and latch..... it's dropped down into the teens here and I'm not sure how to get the door to lock...... TSB or procedure to help get the door shut would be great.......... thanks in advance for posting........

dfs...

AND THEN, for two mornings straight last weekend when it was cold, the 5 would turn over, start up, and immediately stall (AT trans). WTF. This doesn't happen either.

happens to me everyday now that its 10 degrees and under. plastic battery cover also was so cold and brittle it simply cracked into pieces when i tried to remove it.

remote starter also would not disengage and overrevved the starter and drained the battery. yes, it was the factory mazda option remote starter. yes, it was installed by mazda and not by me.

happens to me everyday now that its 10 degrees and under. plastic battery cover also was so cold and brittle it simply cracked into pieces when i tried to remove it.

remote starter also would not disengage and overrevved the starter and drained the battery. yes, it was the factory mazda option remote starter. yes, it was installed by mazda and not by me.
this might not be directly related, but see if you can get this done... maybe it will fix the problem
http://www.protegefaq.net/tsb/01-003-08.html

I went thru the entire post and no one ever posted how to fix the "Freezing" door latch......? I'm on DC and the driver side rear door will not shut and latch..... it's dropped down into the teens here and I'm not sure how to get the door to lock...... TSB or procedure to help get the door shut would be great.......... thanks in advance for posting........

dfs...

There is a recall for this so your dealer should replace them at no cost. Here is some reference:

http://www.mazdav.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123717262

In the meanwhile just try to warm up the latch until it releases (a hair dryer will do). Once that is done spray some lithium grease to lubricate it and to avoid freezing again inside the latch.

Not the best fix, but I used lithium grease since I got the recall notice on the mail and never froze (2 years). I was really undecided to perform it but the Mazda guys convinced me it was the right to do during its service.

Back