EDM heated mirrors installed!

:
2001 BJFP MT
:
2016 BMYFS AT
After having the aspheric mirrors on my protege long enough, I must say I'm spoiled. So I got sick of the bad stock mirrors and decided to spend the big bucks on upgrading to the EDM mirrors

after being dicked around from mazda for so long (in order to get a good price), I said **** it and went ahead and got a pair of junk yard mirrors from Europe instead of waiting longer.. they just came in yesterday and they're in good shape!

In all European countries the 3 is sold, all the 3s that have painted side mirrors are power mirrors WITH a heater, so there wasn't the problem of having to sort between heated and non-heated... and before I even splurged on them, I checked and found out that the US models already have the wiring for the heated mirrors, even the fuse is installed! Installation is basically plug and play!

The only "complication" I had is having to take apart the stock mirrors and the EDM mirrors because they weren't the same colors.. so to that effect, I had to do that in order to make it the right color... basically just swapping the color shells over

the stock mirrors REALLY suck for visbility, more so than the protege because it's not perpendicular to the window but slanted instead... so basically you CAN'T have it adjusted to "one size fits all"; you either have to adjust it out to see traffic and have no parking aid, or adjust it in to barely see the side of the car for parking aid but NOT see traffic... you could do that a lot easier with mirrors that are just perpendicular to the window, like the protege's... anyhow, the EDM mirrors takes care of this and now I can just set it to where I want it and leave it alone... I can now see both the traffic all the way to my blind spot (like my protege's) and barely see the side of the car to help with parking

the EDM mirrors are convex on BOTH sides, but the driver's side also has an aspheric portion as a blind spot aid... they do NOT have warning labels unlike USDM passenger side mirrors (because it's "obvious" in Europe), but the "objects in mirror..." rule still applies, so a different method of driving is needed... but since I'm already used to the ones on my protege, it's no big deal

since I wanted to have heated mirrors also to clear off frost on cold mornings/nights during the winter (yes it does get cold in north texas), this is a much better choice than the canadian spec mirrors which are just heated versions of the USDM ones... the mirror heaters are activated with the rear defroster

here's the before and after pics:

Attachments

• BKmirrorUSDM.jpg
    BKmirrorUSDM.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,334
  • BKmirrorEDM.jpg
    BKmirrorEDM.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 3,087
for people who want to take the effort in ordering NEW ones, here's the part numbers:
BP4L-69-120J-xx right mirror unit (painted, power adj, heated)
BP4L-69-180J-xx left mirror unit (painted, power adj, heated)
where "xx" = the 2 digit abreviated part number paint code... to determine that, use your bottle of touch up paint... on the top there should be a sticker on it with a 2 digit alphanumeric code, use that to complete the part number..... if the sticker is missing, look on the bottle to see if there is a part number... if there are 2 standing digit codes after the last dash "-", that is the code you'll need to complete the part number

you *cannot* use the paint code off your door jam sticker as that is just the body paint code for the car because it is 3 digits

for the canadian owners who want to swap just the glass since their painted power mirrors already have heaters in them:
BP4L-69-1G1 right mirror glass (for painted power mirrors, heated)
BP4L-69-1G7 left mirror glass (for painted power mirrors, heated)

for the people who DO NOT want heated mirrors but just an upgrade to visibility:
BP4M-69-1G1 right mirror glass (for painted power mirrors, non-heated; middle east market)
BP4M-69-1G7 left mirror glass (for painted power mirrors, non-heated; middle east market)
BP4K-69-1G1 right mirror glass (for unpainted *manual* mirrors, non-heated)
BP4K-69-1G7 left mirror glass (for unpainted *manual* mirrors, non-heated)
note these driver's side mirrors may not be aspheric like the one I have, but they're still convex... although the visibility levels won't be as good, they're still an upgrade nonetheless

as an interesting note, both sides of the mirror housings are angled towards the car at the same angle, unlike the protege's mirrors which have the passenger side one angling in more... this means for the people who want to, they can get JDM mirrors (which has power folding functionality) without sacrificing usability

Last edited:
thats cool. :D

so, where do you order your EDM parts from? I need new mirrors for my Protege ES, and I'm thinking of getting the EDM versions.

Lookin' good theMAN. I'm waiting to do this mod on..... well my wife letting me. However I'm planning on just doing the full replacement with the US heated mirrors. Just so you know any US dealer can order the parts, so at some point mazda made them available and apparently just didn't tell anyone.

Several people at the-forum-which-will-not-be-named have done the full replacement so that it's just plug and play, however a few other US members have just replaced the glass portion, and then added two wires and pins to the mirror side of the harness to connect with the wiring on the car side of the harness. I believe that way it costs about $80. Jason at www.onlinemazdaparts.com has a special on the full mirrors for both sides at $205.

very cool theMAN. i would love to that mod. SO how much did you end up paying for the mirrors?

icspots said:
Lookin' good theMAN. I'm waiting to do this mod on..... well my wife letting me. However I'm planning on just doing the full replacement with the US heated mirrors. Just so you know any US dealer can order the parts, so at some point mazda made them available and apparently just didn't tell anyone.

Several people at the-forum-which-will-not-be-named have done the full replacement so that it's just plug and play, however a few other US members have just replaced the glass portion, and then added two wires and pins to the mirror side of the harness to connect with the wiring on the car side of the harness. I believe that way it costs about $80. Jason at www.onlinemazdaparts.com has a special on the full mirrors for both sides at $205.

they're NOT US parts, they're CANADIAN parts which happens so that we can get because it's in the same catalog

NONE of the USDM 3s came with heated mirrors

damn that is a pretty penny for a cool mod.
and shipping from overseas probably not cheap...
so this is the price you pay for a Junkyard found mirror set? how much is it from the Euro catalogs?

If anyone wants edm mirrors, I just got a mail from a dealer who wants to sell his mazda 3 mirrors because they put sport mirrors on.

you can buy a heated mirror set from bagman here on teh forum... i think its 200$$ shipped for the set...

and they're still NOT the same as the EDM ones..... same ol crappy visibility as the stock s***!

i never said they were edm... just saying they are heated mirrors and the price was all... damn man don't have to get all mad about it... lol

hahaha... nah its just something we say here in the tech shop i work in when some one comes back with a comment that could be taken as defensive or whatever... just to get a rise out of em... some of the reactions i get at work when i say it are priceless... anyways... back to those overly expensive sweet mirrors..

damn i almost choked on my bagel....

there are rpob other mods thaqt take priority over; although heated mirrors would def help... winter is coming

TheMAN said:
and they're still NOT the same as the EDM ones..... same ol crappy visibility as the stock s***!

I didn't say that the ones I linked were EDM, and yes I realize they're not curved like yours are. Those are kind of cool, though realistically I don't have much of a problem seeing as long as I turn my head and look.

A comment on the US ones (call them Canadian if you want, but Jason calls them US :p). You can get the full replacement mirrors for $205 USD, or you can buy the heated mirrors only for about $80 USD and fab your own pins. That's a little cheaper than the EDM ones considering Jason includes shipping in his costs.

Back