Cost to Replace a Clutch?

:
2003.5 MSP
For the people that got their clutch replaced, where did you get it done and how much labor was charged?

I'm looking at the Exedy Organic Stage 1 clutch from *************.com

I have yet to call the dealership to ask how much labor they charge. I need one, not want to upgrade I learned manual on the MSP and well, beat the clutch to heck...

Any help would be appericated.

Thanks

And one more thing, do they generally have to replace the flywheel? or can that be resurfaced??

I guess the flywheel gets burned up (worn out) too depending how I drove?

And I do not ride the clutch

I used my stock flywheel, had the shop I bought the clutch from resurface it for me since they do that for free when you buy a clutch. It seems fine but I wish I had gone to an aftermarket for the weight. Less weight = free HP.

You're looking at about $600+parts for a clutch install. Your flywheel should be able to be resurfaced.

low_psi said:
You're looking at about $600+parts for a clutch install. Your flywheel should be able to be resurfaced.

I talked to Sam at ************* he said it should take about 5 to 6 hours for the install. An your most likly right low psi on the cost. I will have to see what can be achieved.

I'm set on the exedy stage 1 and just getting my flywheel resurfaced. Just hope I can afford this. Might have to have dad help me on the labor cost.

Thanks guys

Shop around. You should be able to beat $600 in labor cost. Unless they are charging you $100 per hour. And unless there is something wrong with your flywheel, getting it resurfaced is the way to go. I'd rather spend $30 at a machine shop versus a few hundred for an aftermarket flywheel. You can also reduce your cost by just getting a stock MSP clutch. IMO, there is nothing wrong with it. Mine is holding quite well at 61,000 miles.

What about finding a member in SF to do/help with the work? Pay them or just buy beer and pizza. I'm sure someone near you has a garage if you don't.

DAWIV said:
Shop around. You should be able to beat $600 in labor cost. Unless they are charging you $100 per hour. And unless there is something wrong with your flywheel, getting it resurfaced is the way to go. I'd rather spend $30 at a machine shop versus a few hundred for an aftermarket flywheel. You can also reduce your cost by just getting a stock MSP clutch. IMO, there is nothing wrong with it. Mine is holding quite well at 61,000 miles.

What kind of WHP are you pushing? I have a P5 but am building up for a turbo right now. If the stock MSP clutch can handle 180whp without issue It would be nice to save some $$ by getting that. My P5 clutch has made it to over 74k miles with no issue but as soon as that turbo spools I know that'll be the end of it haha.

I've never dynoed the car. Based on my experience so far, I am going to consider another stock clutch, especially if its substantially less than $365.

ACT street clutch + Fidanza 7lb flywheel + install at Tripoint Engineering = $1300

Good thread. I have a brand new Spec Stage II in my garage that I kind of forgot about. $500 for labor seems right? $100 for flywheel resurfacing maybe?

If you have the tools + time + the will, install the clutch with the help of locals.. you could spend the money on parts.
I'm half way done with my clutch install... it's actually quite easy, just time consuming.

Though.. my clutch replacement ended up being an Exedy stage-1 clutch, fidanza flywheel, AWR motor mounts, and Quaife LSD install. It'll be well worth it to install everything all at once.

ACT street clutch + Fidanza 7lb flywheel + install at Tripoint Engineering = $1300

how much was the parts/labor. I was doing clutches in pro5 and a msp in my shop for around $450 cdn labor plus parts. then again im not a certified mech or anything.

Damn I feel sorry for all the people that have to go to shops and have stuff installed. Oh and $100 for flywheel resurfacing is way to expensive.

i'm sure i overpaid. but i didnt care back then.
parts totalled arround $700. $600 for labor.

Can someone give a step-by-step on how to replace the clutch, and tools needed for it. I live in South Central PA. I have the garage and access to any tools needed if anyone wants to come here and try it. I will help with anything I can.

Man, this sucks. labor is a b****, I just want this done correctly. I'll make a thread in the Cali section to see if anyone has experience or knows a good place.

Back