torque steer

NJP5Guy

:
2003 Black Mica P5 5spd
Was wondering if anybody gets really bad torque steer with their car. at higher speeds if i do almost any type of throttle input my steering wheel pulls from my hand and if i let off the throttle the wheel then jerks back. I have noticed it a lot more lately(w/in the last couple of months) I know that it's not totally due to my tires because i get it even when i have my 195 all seasons on the car. at highway speeds its quite nerveracking at times because it will jerk the car around and make it feel unsettled. if i have the cruise on it doesn't happen at all until the cruise has to adjust for an incline and opens the throttle more. hoping for some thoughts on this.

I only get it going from first to second gear. The more I am in the throttle, the worse it is.

I really don't get much torque steer at all.. our cars would actually have to make a lot of torque for that. Maybe a tiny bit shifting from 1st to 2nd but that's about it.

Have you driven a Maxima/Altima with the 3.5V6? I definitely knew the meaning of torque steer after my first drive in those haha.

i will get the pull more pronounced in 4-5 gear. if i stab at the throttle in 3rd it will pull but its more controlable.

sometimes when i pull out of a place fast ebough, i will get some, but its controllable, but its only when i accelerate hard

I'm wondering if i have something worn in my front suspension to cause the steering to pull when i depress the throttle.

When i was on the highway this morning i let the steering wheel go(car in straight line of course) and when i pushed on the throttle the steering wheel actually would turn to the left. I'd really like to know what the hell could cause it.

Might be out of alignment....That's all I would think if the torque steer feels worse than before....I think my springs have finally settled in, and now my torque steer seems a bit more severe than before....So I don't know...Good luck and let us know...

IIRC mine'll pull to the right when I get torque steer...

And I NEVER get it in top gear on the highway. Something just doesn't sound right...

I get torque steer, but I think the potato has something to do with that. ;)

new mod? (boom07)

EDIT: now I get it.... :p

Last edited:
ProtoType5 said:
Might be out of alignment....That's all I would think if the torque steer feels worse than before....I think my springs have finally settled in, and now my torque steer seems a bit more severe than before....So I don't know...Good luck and let us know...

i had the alighnment and springs/struts done last december. the car tracks fairly well in a straight line with a slight tendancy to pull to the right.

I'm not sure how else to explain it. i will be removing my wheels/tires after my last auto-x this sunday so i will have to check again if there is anything worn. i'm pretty sure the left front end link is worn because i get squeeking on certain bumps and when giving throttle inputs. Not sure if this could all be related....hmmm.

i would say alignment......i bet your wheels are balanced and have the correct pressure in them? if any of these are off, it will affect how the car drives in a strait line, especially at high speeds.....

-R

Back