Another snow tire question

bvan

:
'03 P5, '04 Matrix
Hi, I need to buy winter tires this year, but don't really have the budget to buy four tires and 4 steelies right away. Will there be a huge problem if I just buy for the fronts first and add the rear tires afterward? I know I'd run the risk of rear end drift and such, but front-end traction is more of a concern as far as I know.

Thoughts??

Yeah, I just need to figure out where to find another few hundred dollars...

most tire shops won't let you put snow tires only on the front...
i got a set of michelin x-ice 205/50/16's from costco for $750 canadian
installed/balanced including tax :)

I got a great deal on my dunlop graspics from discount tires. Check out their winter tire packages.

Yeah, I have a quote for a set of X-Ice from Costco for about $600 incl rims and installation, but, the bank account on has about $300. At any rate, thanks for all the advice. I am also on a brand new (less than 1000km) set of Toyo Proxes 4s that came with the car. I think will hold out for a few more weeks until I can save some more $$ up. We don't have any snow yet...

It's usually cheaper to buy a second set of wheels as you don't have to pay for the installation of tires every fall and spring.

no doubt that is the better approach to take in the long run. but if money right now is the problem, it'd be better to get 4 tires w/o wheels than 2 tires w/ wheels. they'll mount the tires for free at wherever you buy them, so come spring you need to pay to have the summers remounted (or buy new summer wheels then and keep winters mounted on stockers), and next year you could get steelies. you'll end up spending more money overall (2 mount/unmounts unless you get them at a place that gives free summer->winter changeover), but short term it'd be better

I'm going with the steelies 'cause it is WAY cheaper to go with 185/65/15 snows than 195/50/16. And, the yearly mounting issue is there too. It is far easier to just put them on once the snow starts, than wait until it starts and fight the rush that comes at the tire shops.

I'm sure I'll get all 4, thanks for everyone's opinion.

Back