2002 Protege5 5 speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Mazda Protege5, 57,XXX miles, 5 speed, cruise, power windows, locks, mirrors, nice cold A/C, Pioneer CD. Pioneer speakers in the front doors, Polks in the back doors. Mazdaspeed short shifter, all weather floor mats and trunk liner. In the last 3,000 miles I've replaced the spark plugs, brake pads front and rear, front brake rotors, alignment, cleaned crank breather, and Kumho Ecsta ASXs tires. Runs and drives like new, and is very clean in and out.

I've only had it three months, but quite frankly, I need the money. I'm a older student with a family, and their needs come first. It will be replaced with a cheap beater until I graduate from college.

I'm asking $11,000 OBO. Email is jessup3 at cox.net. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Pics

Attachments

• msprotege.jpg
    msprotege.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 123
  • ext1.jpg
    ext1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 163
Why do private party sellers insist on quoting KBB Suggested Retail Value? This is a value that represents dealer asking prices. The applicable KBB values to a private party sale is the Private Party Value. Dealers have to charge more to cover overhead costs, reconditioning, paperwork, and profit. Why would a buyer want to pad your pockets if you don't have any of these costs?

For what it's worth, here are the Private Party Values:

Excellent $9,720
Good $9,060
Fair $8,205

Wow, thanks for your help!(pissed) Feel free to look at cars.com, most P5s similar to mine are actually priced higher than the KBB value, at least in my area. You're probably the guy that makes smart comments at the bar to keep your buddy from getting the girl, right? If you don't have a honest question in regards to the car for sale, keep it to yourself.

Yes, I am helping. I'm helping you to be more realistic in your expectations and encouraging you to not intentionally mislead potential buyers by quoting the incorrect value.

Let's not grant you the title of nobility just yet. Misleading potential buyers? Feel free to punch the number into KBB yourself, retail is about $11,500. Sure private party is less than that, good luck actually finding a P5 for that. The fact of the matter is, a car is worth what they're selling for, and P5s are selling for more than private party value. My price is OBO, quite frankly I don't expect to get my full asking price. And since reading comprehension seems to be an issue with you, let me repeat. If you don't have a valid question in regards to purchasing my car, keep it to yourself. This is a for sale thread in the for sale forum.

You can ask $50,000 for your car if you want. I don't care. My issue is that you quoted KBB value, which infers private party value, since you are a private party seller! Retail value is irrelevant to your sale.

You don't listen well, do you? First of all, I don't care what you think. This is a classifieds listing. Second, a car is worth what people are willing to pay for it, and P5s are going for more than private party value. I listed the KBB value as reference, as it's in the right range of what P5s are going for. Both retail and private party values are irrelevant, it's what the cars are really selling for that matters. Like I said, take a look at cars.com, most P5s in my region with similar mileage are $12k+. You can infer that I'm a liar all you want, a car is worth what people are willing to pay. Obviously, they're willing to pay more than the private party value that you feel the need to harp on. Shoo, go harass someone else.

I heard you, but that doesn't mean I need to "obey" you. I'm done "harassing" you. You just hit on one of my pet peeves.

autotrader isnt an approved ventder your not allowed to link to non approved venders on this site following the new rule change by the owner and mods.

onewhippedpuppy said:
Man, get a f-ing life. Glad to see you have plenty of time on your hands. Too bad there's no moderating on un-solicited commentary within for sale threads.

quit flaming.....

You're joking, right? Someone comes into my thread in the for sale section (not the general forum) and starts posting unsolicited and incorrect advice, essentially accusing me of lying within my post. He then continues his immature attacks, after I state that I have no interest in what he has to say. Then you tell ME to quit flaming?

It's very unfortunate that some people view the internet as an escape from reality, where they can say anything without any consequences. Despite a lack of respect, control, etc in their regular lives, online they can pretend to be whomever they choose, compensating for what their real lives lack. For some, the annonymous nature of the internet is too much, their real frustrations manifest themselves online. The number of these people on a site, and the regulation of their behavior, determine the tone of the entire site. While there are many knowledgable, respectful people on this forum, there's a large quantity of people that have nothing positive to contribute, choosing instead to puff themselves up and play the virtual tough guy. This kind of behavior is what keeps this board a step down from the Porsche and BMW boards that I used to frequent. It's sad that the actions of a few can ruin the tone of an entire site.

onewhippedpuppy said:
You're joking, right? Someone comes into my thread in the for sale section (not the general forum) and starts posting unsolicited and incorrect advice, essentially accusing me of lying within my post. He then continues his immature attacks, after I state that I have no interest in what he has to say. Then you tell ME to quit flaming?
Please, tell me what I said that was incorrect. When you quote KBB "retail" as a private party (without explicitly stating that you are quoting the retail value - which is irrelevant to your sale) you are misleading potential consumers and are breeding distrust with those that look into KBB themselves, only to discover the discrepancy. If you misrepresent the KBB value, what else are you misrepresenting?

Furthermore, if you feel your price represents the actual value of the vehicle on the market, why quote KBB at all? I wouldn't push the issue, but I feel my points are valid and accurate. Unsolicited, perhaps. But incorrect? Immature attacks?

I'm really not interested in your social commentary, and you have no idea what I'm like in person, so don't pretend to understand me.

The following is QUOTED directly from Kelley Blue Book. Please read it carefully.

Private Party Value is what a buyer can expect to pay when buying a used car from a private party. The Private Party Value assumes the vehicle is sold "As Is" and carries no warranty (other than the continuing factory warranty). The final sale price may vary depending on the vehicle's actual condition and local market conditions. This value may also be used to derive Fair Market Value for insurance and vehicle donation purposes.

The Kelley Blue Book Suggested Retail Value is representative of dealers' asking prices and is the starting point for negotiation between a consumer and a dealer. This Suggested Retail Value assumes that the vehicle has been fully reconditioned and has a clean title history. This value also takes into account the dealers' profit, costs for advertising, sales commissions and other costs of doing business. The final sale price will likely be less depending on the vehicle's actual condition, popularity, type of warranty offered and local market conditions.

Blue Book Retail Value Assumes Excellent Condition
This value assumes the vehicle has received the cosmetic and/or mechanical reconditioning needed to qualify it as 'Excellent'. This is not a transaction value; it is representative of a dealers asking price and the starting point for negotiation.

Excellent

"Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks new, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. This vehicle has never had any paint or body work and is free of rust. The vehicle has a clean title history and will pass a smog and safety inspection. The engine compartment is clean, with no fluid leaks and is free of any wear or visible defects. The vehicle also has complete and verifiable service records. Less than 5% of all used vehicles fall into this category.

Last edited:
Again, thank you for essentially calling me a liar. If I had wasted the time of everyone whom looks at this thread by quoting verbatim the entire KBB site, perhaps we could have avoided this argument? I listed a KBB value, one of several. Whether or not you feel it is valid is irrelevant, it was only listed as a guideline as to what these cars are selling for. Since it seems to bother you so much, and you obviously have nothing better to do, I will remove any reference to KBB from my post. Again, I want to thank you for calling me a liar. I have bought and sold a number of items in the BMW and Porsche community, and would be happy to provide any potential buyers with references. Of course, judging from the response thus far, it would appear this site is devoid of any serious shoppers and my Autotrader ad should prove to be more fruitful.

As to your personality on a more personal level, I can only hope that your behavior on this site represents your alter ego.

onewhippedpuppy said:
Let's not grant you the title of nobility just yet. Misleading potential buyers? Feel free to punch the number into KBB yourself, retail is about $11,500. Sure private party is less than that, good luck actually finding a P5 for that. The fact of the matter is, a car is worth what they're selling for, and P5s are selling for more than private party value. My price is OBO, quite frankly I don't expect to get my full asking price. And since reading comprehension seems to be an issue with you, let me repeat. If you don't have a valid question in regards to purchasing my car, keep it to yourself. This is a for sale thread in the for sale forum.

no offense but my car was practically new (15k miles, and over 2 years ago.. oh and at a dealership) for less than that. He was offering some good advice. Seriously though, there are some people who spend more than a year trying to get their asking price for their car. That being said, I totally think your car is worth the asking price. The P5 is a great car.. even though it's pretty much the same as the rest of the Proteges, the styling is spot-on, and the added functionality is just plain awesome. There's a high demand for them in the used car market from what every salesman I've talked to has told me. It's not a car that would go to auction if you traded it in.. they'd be able to sell it pretty quickly.

Good luck with the sale. Have you listed it on places like craigslist.org, autotrader.com, and local car selling sites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back