Unsure about springs

gen1pro

:
06 Mazdaspeed 6
Ok I really want to lower my MS6 and I see a lot of different options specifically for the MS6 and then I see some for the regular 6. I know that people out there are doing both but what I want to know is can you possibly mess up your AWD with the springs from the regular6. I think the only difference is the spring rate so my question would be how does that effect your car? Most of the springs for the 6 have a little bigger drop then the ones for the MS6 so thats why I'm looking into this.

I'm guessing the reason that the springs for the regular 6 have a bigger drop is that the MS6 is already dropped. For example, dropping the MS6 one inch may be the same as dropping the regular 6 1.5 inches.

yeah, I was wondering that too. I want to drop mine just for looks because I feel the MSP6 comes with a stiff/steady suspention already.

has anyone dropped it yet? If so, got pics?

Thank you.

yeah as long as the spring rate isn't much stiffer than the stock springs it should be nice. I know someone has dropped it. Check out the Pics/Videos main forum, there's a thread called "post one of your best pictures". It's a really long thread but a few pages before the end of the thread (I'm guessing on what page it's on, I can't see the pics at work they get filtered) a guy posted his mazdaspeed6 pics.. he has different wheels (thin 5 spoke wheels) and is definitely lowered. It looked really, really nice.

edit: he posted the pics either the beginning of this week or late last week.. I just know I was at work when I first saw the post and everyone was like "omg that's so nice" and I was sad.. because I couldn't see the pics.

Kansei said:
I'm guessing the reason that the springs for the regular 6 have a bigger drop is that the MS6 is already dropped. For example, dropping the MS6 one inch may be the same as dropping the regular 6 1.5 inches.

That makes sense about the drop but I wonder if the extra weight of the car would eventually either mess up the springs or the AWD would get messed up. Meaning if I went with the regular 6 springs.

oh wow good point about the weight. Sorry I totally forgot about that part. Yeah you might want to get input from someone who actually has a MS6 before you go ahead with it. I doubt you would mess up the springs with the extra weight (they are.. really strong) and I don't see any reason why the AWD would get messed up.. FWD and RWD people lower their cars all the time, no issue.. it's basically like both combined.

The only possible issue I could see is the car not sitting evenly if you get normal 6 springs.. meaning I'm not sure if the added weight is evenly balanced between the front and the rear.. front added turbo, IC, and all that, while the rear just added some driveshaft weight (well that's middle really) and rear axle/diff stuff. If all the added weight was in the front, the front might sit a bit low on normal 6 springs and make it look all funny.

I guess just hunt around for pics and stuff from people who have done it.

That picture that you were talking about is MS6freek and I believe he is running the Eibach sportlines (which are for the regular 6). I'm going to PM him to make sure and see how long hes had them and if he has run into any issues. Thanks for all your info.

Kansei said:
oh wow good point about the weight. Sorry I totally forgot about that part. Yeah you might want to get input from someone who actually has a MS6 before you go ahead with it. I doubt you would mess up the springs with the extra weight (they are.. really strong) and I don't see any reason why the AWD would get messed up.. FWD and RWD people lower their cars all the time, no issue.. it's basically like both combined.

The only possible issue I could see is the car not sitting evenly if you get normal 6 springs.. meaning I'm not sure if the added weight is evenly balanced between the front and the rear.. front added turbo, IC, and all that, while the rear just added some driveshaft weight (well that's middle really) and rear axle/diff stuff. If all the added weight was in the front, the front might sit a bit low on normal 6 springs and make it look all funny.

I guess just hunt around for pics and stuff from people who have done it.

gen1pro said:
That picture that you were talking about is MS6freek and I believe he is running the Eibach sportlines (which are for the regular 6). I'm going to PM him to make sure and see how long hes had them and if he has run into any issues. Thanks for all your info.

You can contact him directly, but he hasn't had any problems so far. He races at the strip weekly and his car has been running fine engine and suspension-wise. He is using the Sportlines in combination with 19" rims and wider tires.

Jamespeed6 on mazda6club.com has been using the Mazdaspeed V6 springs on his MS6 without problems. He autocrosses his car regularly and he hasn't been experiencing any rubbing even though he runs RX8 rims and wider tires.

R

Back