system too lean at idle?

mobomelter

:
2004 Civic Si
well my car has decided its going to be a pain in the ass and randomly throw codes and then make them disappear. I caught the codes at one point and they all had to do with system too lean at idle. I have a feeling its my cosmo racing sri or a blown maf. The car idles rough but other than that it runs fine. Should I try buying a real intake (Aem, Injen, K&N or something CAI) or should I buy a new maf?

i would revert back to stock intake first and then if you are still having issues then i would change out your maf... its pretty easy changing an sri for stock. and i believe protophile has intakes for sale from simota (cai and sri) that a lot of members are having good luck with for a cheaper price then an aem or injen would be but better quality then an ebay intake...

well aparently advance auto parts now carries a maf for 81 dollars that fits a 2005 3s. I work there so I might order just to see if its the right one since I can get a discount and send it back if its not the right one.

worth a shot but i always revert to whats free instead of spending money... but thats just cause i am cheap.

yeah I mean i've reset the code once now and I am hoping that if I just replace the maf I can get back a normal idle and that code will stop coming up.

thats why i said just put your stock intake back on and if the idle is normal again its your intake, if its the same then its probably (90% sure) your maf..

yeah i guess i could do that tomorrow since i am done with school early. I kinda hope its my intake since I want a good excuse to buy a cai.

EDIT: I just remembered how much of a pain in the ass it is to get that one piece for the breather hose out.

Last edited:
really.... ?? its got that push connector thing on it right? i don't remember it being a pain and i just had mine off and on at the begining of summer to clean the filter.

with the cosmo racing one you have to take the little white piece out of the stock airbox. I now realize I should only buy from big name brands and stop being cheap lol.

uh.... that sucks... and yeah spending more money first usually saves a head ache or two later.

yeah because if the intake turns out to be the problem i have an 85 dollar paperweight. my other problem is trying to make all this little icons on the forums appear on my laptop....

yeah they are on again off again for me all the time as well, i brought it up in the website help/feedback a while ago... maybe should do it again.

i didn't it fixed itself...my idle is fine now... how long have you had it? if its been a while i read while researching my issue that it was from a evap selonoid valve or something... has to do with the emissions system and was a pretty popular failure for our cars... if you don't have to many mods i would take it in and see if they fix it under warranty

i haven't had the intake on there that long maybe 2 months max. At this point I'm gonna try the stock intake tomorrow after school but I have a feeling that the intake isn't the problem.

I just tried unplugging the battery and putting the stock intake back on. Drove for about 10 miles with no code but the same rough idle. I then unplugged the battery again and put the cosmo racing intake back on and still had a rough idle. The code is gone but the rough idle remains.

the code will be back that has nothing to do with your intake... read the thread i started regarding that code and you will see what others have found from that ##...

Back