Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 946 of 947 FirstFirst ... 446846896936944945946947 LastLast
Results 14,176 to 14,190 of 14199

Thread: What have you done to your MS3 today?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Preferio View Post
    I believe this to be the cause, the reason for the intermittent smoke plumes.

Maybe I'm just experiencing a placebo effect and it's not actually reduced the amount of visible smoke, but I've been getting around 550-600 per quart. It's easy enough to monitor and check myself. If not, it was a whole $25 and I'm still in the exact same place.
    FWIW, I never lost any oil on the dipstick between 3,000 mile oil changes even when the turbo smoke at idle got bad. It takes very little oil past those seals to produce quite a fog.

If you are smoking at high rpm under load and losing over a quart per thousand, it may be rings. Have you done a leak down test?
    Sunlight Silver '08 MS3 GT

Mods:

TurboXS DP/RP "Stealthback" package into stock CBE; Vibrant 3 inch Ultra Quiet Resonator in RP section, Magnaflow 3 1/2 unrolled exhaust tip; Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener and K&N filter; NGK Iridium IX LTR7IX-11 one step colder plugs; Hypertech tune; Autotech CDFP internals; stock BPV; Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's stock size on stock rims; Grimmspeed EBCS in two port mode; Hawk HPS pads; Bilstein HD (B6) struts and shocks; SPC rear camber arms.

Donated: $1.67

2003 Mazdaspeed Protege 1660, 2004 Winning Blue RX8, 2005 Mazda6

Quote Originally Posted by MSMS3 View Post
    FWIW, I never lost any oil on the dipstick between 3,000 mile oil changes even when the turbo smoke at idle got bad. It takes very little oil past those seals to produce quite a fog.

If you are smoking at high rpm under load and losing over a quart per thousand, it may be rings. Have you done a leak down test?
    I'm well aware of the possible causes. I'm well aware as to how to determine it. As stated numerous times in the past six months in this thread, a leakdown, nor a compression test, have been performed. I've had inconsistent oil loss with as much as 250 miles per an ENTIRE FUCKING QUART, then a week later make it 600 miles, then a week later make it 400 miles. Either way it's far beyond excessive with even the most liberal allowances from other manufacturers. Hell, I could have easily done the compression test the other day when the intercooler was off for installation of the restrictor bolt. Not that it's a five minute job to remove it anyway. Maybe it's denial, maybe it's because the end result will be the same either way or maybe it's just a reason to keep me coming back here and bitching.

In other news: New tires installed. I love new tires. There is nothing better than hitting the interstate, accelerate at WOT and just be a smooth ride.

I want to address this damn sway bar bracket, but I'm not excited about dropping the subframe. I'll be doing a clutch soon anyway.
    ASE Certifications: A1, A4, A5, A8, C1, P2
    Mitsubishi-Fuso: Electr. Cert. 1, 2, 3 and 4

2007 Mazdaspeed 3:
    2005 Mazda 6 S: Gone.
    2004 Mazda RX8: Gone.
    2003 Mazdaspeed Protege #1660: Gone and missed.
    2003 Mazda Protege5: Gone.
    2002 Mazda Protege5: Gone.
    1995 Mazda Miata Best $50 I've ever spent.

Registered Member

Mazdaspeed 3 Oil Consumption Issues

I'm well aware of the possible causes. I'm well aware as to how to determine it. As stated numerous times in the past six months in this thread, a leakdown, nor a compression test, have been performed. I've had inconsistent oil loss with as much as 250 miles per an ENTIRE FUCKING QUART, then a week later make it 600 miles, then a week later make it 400 miles. Either way it's far beyond excessive with even the most liberal allowances from other manufacturers. Hell, I could have easily done the compression test the other day when the intercooler was off for installation of the restrictor bolt. Not that it's a five minute job to remove it anyway. Maybe it's denial, maybe it's because the end result will be the same either way or maybe it's just a reason to keep me coming back here and bitching.

In other news: New tires installed. I love new tires. There is nothing better than hitting the interstate, accelerate at WOT and just be a smooth ride.

I want to address this damn sway bar bracket, but I'm not excited about dropping the subframe. I'll be doing a clutch soon anyway.
    I have a 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 with 123,900 miles. When I bought the car in 2010 it had a Xede Chip, FMIC and Cold Air Induction. It ran really great for a couple of years and then I began having multiple issues because of the poor wiring job that was done when the Xede chip was installed. Boost dropping off at 7 psi and even times when the engine wouldn't run at all. The chip was removed and the wiring has been redone. After I hit a dip and knocked the front mounted Intercooler completely off the car, I went back to the top mounted Intercooler. I put a Cobb Accessport on the car and I am running their stock map. It runs great except it began to have oil consumption issues.

The car began using oil at the rate of 400-600 miles per quart. The dealer did a compression test and found that cylinders 2 and 3 were losing 20-30% compression. They told me that those cylinders did not get the volume of cooling that cylinders 1&4 get and it is not surprising at that mileage they had lost compression. I ordered a remanufactured long block from Edge Autosport in Denver and will have it installed as soon as it arrives. The cost of the long block was $3,480.00 after my old motor is shipped back. Shipping both ways is paid by Edge Autosport. It has a 3 year warranty. I expect to drive the car for another 2-3 years before upgrading to something nicer and faster. Hopefully, there will be a happy ending.

Registered Member

I was able to replace the front sway bar bushings and brackets without removing the subframe. It is tight, but I could get to them. You go in from behind the swaybar with your feet forward toward the front bumper, flat on your back. I used the JBR brackets and bushings. They have zerk fittings. Be sure to grease them well before installing then pump them full once in place.
    Last edited by MSMS3; 04-08-2017 at 08:16 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member Spicymazda0323's Avatar
    Donated: $5

Mazdaspeed Protege

Replaced the rear mount today with a damond mount.. so far so good !!

We all know what's wrong with it- the only thing that is so damn bothering about it is the varying mileage. I went as low as 250 miles and as high as low 6's. Random smoke- like, say, 20 miles between occurrences. Something I've also noticed- right hand turns and WOT can just about guarantee some smoke. Restrictor bolt has no difference in consumption. Just does not make sense to me.

Anyway. The clunk I had in the front, when I actually took five minutes to really investigate, found the lower ball joint pinch bolt to not be tight enough. Installed the control arms almost five months ago and all other fasteners were tight. I took a bit of force to actually make it move, but the ball joint stud being nice and shiny is what clued me into it as it indicated it had been moving. Snugged it up, noise gone.

We got a lot of rain the past couple of weeks and the rear sway bar bushings are being noisy, even though I used grease (no-name black tube) from a set of poly bushings a couple of years ago. Will get some quality grease for them.

Finished rebuilding the Protege5 bottom end (just bearings, crank, oil pump, front and rear seals, timing belt and tension spring) and am selling it to a friend. Wanted to purchase an NB, but not sure that I'll get another car right now. Wanted to have it to drive so I could teardown and build the MS3 engine this fall, but meeeeehhhhh...
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Have done nothing but drive the MS3. Oh, well, I cleaned it. Got the drivetrain reinstalled into the Proteege5, A/C is now operational, but it still needs an alignment and the new tires mounted.

Registered Member Spicymazda0323's Avatar
    Donated: $5

Mazdaspeed Protege

Nice preferio!! I installed the cx racing Fmic

2008.5 MG Mazdaspeed 3 GT

Oh hiiiii

Wife's MS3 hit 110k

Rx still has apex seals. Getting shipped out in the fall for some major work

08.5 MGM MS3 GT - 385/360 - Stocked and Sold
    93 Vintage Red RX7 Touring - MUST. NOT. TOUCH.

2009 Mazdaspeed3; 1991 Turbo Miata

Mine is apart in the garage for EGR valve cleaning.

Maturity is knowing that you were an idiot in the past. Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now. Wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot in the future.

2009 MS3
    2008 RX8
    1991 MR2

I miss my RX8. I've been looking for one that isn't trashed for cheap. See a lot of failed engines for super cheap and I've contemplated getting one of those, but I'd at least like to enjoy it for a bit before having to have a rebuild. And most are automatics of course.

Have done nothing but cleaned the car numerous times and align it. Both fronts were toed in a perfectly even amount. Weird. Knew the drivers was toed in by the tire wear and pull on the highway. Other than that, looking for a BP for my NA. Trying to spend less than $700, but without driving or paying shipping that's about the cheapest I've found in my area. The week before I got the car, there was one for $500 with relatively low miles. So kinda focusing on the Miata right now.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Developed a noise from the left rear of the car...

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD, '09 Mazdaspeed3

Developed a noise from the left rear of the car...

I have 2 of those left.. NEW Mazda OEM....PM me if you want em...
    Mazda's I have owned over the years.
    80' Mazda GLC SPORT MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    85' Mazda 626 LX MT - sold
    87' Mazda 626 GT Turbo MT - sold
    85' Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE MT- sold
    87' Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2 MT - sold
    91' Mazda Protege LX MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    93' Mazda MX-3 GS-V6 Special Edition MT - sold
    00' Mazda 626 LX-V6 MT - sold
    02.5' Mazda Protege5 MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    06' Mazda 5 Touring AT - sold
    13' Mazda CX-5 Touring AT - sold
    14' Mazda 3i Grand Touring MT - sold
    15' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - sold
    03' Mazda Protege5 AT - sold
    16.5' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - current
    09' Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT - current

These are for a 32MM bar, OEM will not work with the bushings and bar I have installed.

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD, '09 Mazdaspeed3

These are for a 32MM bar, OEM will not work with the bushings and bar I have installed.
    Okay well that makes sense then ...they definitely looked like they are not as heavy duty as the OEM ones...

Page 946 of 947 FirstFirst ... 446846896936944945946947 LastLast