Bike rack on hatch

eting_pro5

:
'03 Pro5
I know the bike rack question has been played out 6.23 billion times, but a search yielded no answers.

The question: Can you use a hatch bike rack on the back of the Protege5?

I'm concerned that the straps over the top of the hatch (supporting most of the weight) might crush my spoiler. Is this a legitimate concern? Has anyone ever used a hatch rack?

I know about roof racks. I have a set up for four.
I know about putting bikes inside the car. I can fit four road bikes, plus the four wheels for the bikes on top.
I know about hitch racks. I don't have time to have one installed.

So if the answer is "yes," you can expect pictures of a Protege5 hauling 10 bikes in less than a week. Any help would be appreciated.

I've not personally used a hatch rack for my P5, but I have seen them with them around town.

Sorry I can't give any info as to the spoiler itself, however, according to Yakima's website (www.yakima.com) and using their will-it-fit thingy, they have 2 racks which will fit a P5 - The KingJoe2 and the KingJoe3.

Thule's website and their version of the will-it-fit only gives the roof/hitch options as answers, which you already know about.

I would assume that considering Yakima says it's ok, then it's probably ok. But then obviously, it will depend on the type of bikes. If you're carrying hefty freerides/DH, then I might think twice. But if you're going with road bikes or anything that's a lot lighter, then I'd imagine that there's no problem with it. Again, I've seen them around town.

Anyway, that's the input that I have. Hopefully someone who runs one of these set-ups will have some words of wisdom because I'm actually curious about the same thing myself (but I suspect that I'll go hitch along with my existing roofies).

Please let me know how it works out! :)

I don't think anyone's used them because they've been known to scratch the $hit out of the car.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. The majority of the weight will be supported by the rack frame instead of the top straps.

If my dad's miata could carry two mountain bikes on a rack, then for sure the P5 can.

Yeah I have one of those, but put it on only when I need it. The one I got has foam ring around the bars that have body contact. The hooks at the end of the straps are metal, but I was able to get it on and off without scratching any paint. I don't remember at this moment if the upper bar rested on the spoiler or on the roof behind it. I can post the make/model of the bike rack when I get home. If you want pictures as well, I'll have to set it up, so you owe me a cookie :). Let me know.

A pic might be cool...

My concern is that, on a hatchback, the upper straps definitely carry a majority of the wait. It's not like a trunk where the upper half of the rack is content with the force of gravity pushing it against the decklid.

Without the straps, the rack would simply slide off on a hatch.

I bought the bike rack at Performance bike shop and it's called Performance XPORT Expedition. I can get you pictures Saturday.

Yeah, I have & use both roof & hatch racks. I use the hatch/bumper rack if going off road & playing in the mud. Don't want muddy bikes dropping s*** on the roof. The one I have is the SARIS Bones. It's nice & curvy & highly adaptable for many vehicles. It comes in 2 or 3 bike setup. I have the 2. It kinda pulls on the top spoiler a little but you can adjust it to minimize that somewhat. I have had no issues with paint on the edge being jacked with or it causing any other problems. http://www.orsracksdirect.com/saris-bones-trunk-bike-rack-2-805.html

I have had two bikes at a time with the hatch rack - no problems scratching or excess weight on the spoiler... It looked robust enough...

Latest posts

Back