Could Rover be Mazda's Lexus/Acura?

Antoine

Administrator
Could Rover be Mazda's Lexus/Acura?

-AutoBlog
mazda_rover.jpg

So yesterday, amidst all the overly dramatized speculation about an 'alliance' between the Blue Oval and the General, Rover's name came up for sale. Ford, who had the right of first refusal, bought the mark in an effort to quell the possibility of confusion between Range Rover and Rover. Easy enough, now what do they do with it?

Most likely, it will sit in a drawer collecting dust, but Edward Lapham, executive editor of Automotive News, thinks there may be a better use for the storied mark.

Back in the 90's Mazda toyed with the idea of having a luxury division, much like ToMoCo's Lexus and Honda's Acura. The Amati brand never took flight due to financial woes and the idea was shelved. With Mazda currently experiencing an up tick in perception and sales, Lapham contends that using the Rover badge to launch an upscale Mazda may be the best way to expand Ford's luxury cache and profit from Mazda's upwards trajectory.

We think it's a novel idea that will probably never see the light of day; we're interested in your thoughts though. Find a voice in 'comments.'

[Source: Automotive News - Sub. Req.]

sounds like rover should be like "woof woof"

*woof woof woof~ yeah woof woof woof!*

mmmmm..... Maybe not. Rover doesn't have much brand recognition here in the states, but I'd guess that the people who have heard of them probably don't have an especially high opionion of them.

Besides, why would Mazda want to saddle themselves with an existing (British) brand name when introducing a brand-new line of upscale Mazdas? It's no secret who owns Infinity, Lexus or Acura, why create confusion around Mazda's high end by taking a used name?

haha Antoine I saw your comment on the autoblog post with a link to this thread :p

yeah .. Mazda tried to bring out their own luxury marque before (hence the Millenia) but it didn't come to fruition and the Millenia was just released as a Mazda.

I really don't see a need for a more upmarket Mazda... unless they start making exotic sports cars in the 50-200k dollar range :) :).

You know, that would be kind of cool. Upmarket sports Mazdas, rather than luxury. I think Acura has been kind of confused about that all along with the NSX as thier range-topper, the sporty-ish integra/RSX at the bottom, and a bunch of more normal boring lux cars in between.

Of course, that would make the name Rover even less appropriate, as roving around the countryside doesn't sound the least bit sporty.

Rover cars are basically outdated Hondas for the early 90s. To bad Ford did not get the rights to MG as well. MG versions of Rover models were performance cars. With eithe FWD or RWD.

Rover 25
04-5dr-f3q-s.jpg

Rover 45
2004-4dr-f3q-a.jpg

Rover 75 Saloon and Tourer
04-f3q-st.jpg

04-est-f-long.jpg

Rover 75 V8
05-v8-f3q-s.jpg

MG ZR 160
2001-MG-ZR-160.jpg

MG ZT 190